Don't use Grooms Engines.

rpk250

Well, it seems I'm out $3200 dollars. I recieved my rebuilt short block back in Dec. 05. As I opened the crate I found a broken rod bolt. I was told by Grooms that they would send me a new bolt. At this point I should have sent the motor back, but instead I trusted that I was dealing with good people and that they knew what they were doing. Big mistake. After 1000 miles, no beating or detonating, on a long interstate drive my oil pressure started to nose dive. I got home and discovered bearing material in the oil filter and later, a whole lot in the oilpan. I called Grooms and was told they would not warranty the engine since it had been 6 months since I recieved it, even though the car didn't move out of my garage until May, this is northern Illinois. I reminded them about the rod bolt, they said that couldn't be the problem because that would have showed up sooner. So I asked them what I was supposed to do and they said I could send it back to them but it was going to cost about $3000-3200 again because it was a stage 3 block. Then when I asked if I could pay for an additional warranty, they said no because it was a "hot rod" motor and they would never warranty it. So apparently they can charge $3000 for a piece of crap engine that will have to replaced every year. This is for a motor that is supposed to made for racing. Good plan for Grooms, not so good for the costomer. When I told them I was going to post this on TurboBuick.com, they weren't even fazed, apparently Chevy and Ford engines are all they need and have turned thier backs on us Buick folk. I won't forget.

rpk250 said:
Well, it seems I'm out $3200 dollars. I recieved my rebuilt short block back in Dec. 05. As I opened the crate I found a broken rod bolt. I was told by Grooms that they would send me a new bolt. At this point I should have sent the motor back, but instead I trusted that I was dealing with good people and that they knew what they were doing. Big mistake. After 1000 miles, no beating or detonating, on a long interstate drive my oil pressure started to nose dive. I got home and discovered bearing material in the oil filter and later, a whole lot in the oilpan. I called Grooms and was told they would not warranty the engine since it had been 6 months since I recieved it, even though the car didn't move out of my garage until May, this is northern Illinois. I reminded them about the rod bolt, they said that couldn't be the problem because that would have showed up sooner. So I asked them what I was supposed to do and they said I could send it back to them but it was going to cost about $3000-3200 again because it was a stage 3 block. Then when I asked if I could pay for an additional warranty, they said no because it was a "hot rod" motor and they would never warranty it. So apparently they can charge $3000 for a piece of crap engine that will have to replaced every year. This is for a motor that is supposed to made for racing. Good plan for Grooms, not so good for the costomer. When I told them I was going to post this on TurboBuick.com, they weren't even fazed, apparently Chevy and Ford engines are all they need and have turned thier backs on us Buick folk. I won't forget.

WE can atest to many companies folding up from word of mouth on these types of boards,why stop here show them who they are fcking with and post on every board,from chevy to ford to mopar,gto, ls1, lt1, gta,let them know befor you do ,then see what they do.....everyone post a forum that he can go to ,i just listed a few ,maybe if others are a member on a board they can paste this over there so you wont have to become a member everywhere...

I've heard alot of new horror stories lately and have informed many chevy sites as well. I think their main business is fleet engines now.

I had a long, horrible relationship with Grooms. I too wish I had never bought one of their engines. If you're considering Grooms, read my long story over on the other board. Short version: they screwed me.

Thanks for the info.

I remember someone asked about Grooms a year or two ago. I said "never heard of them and would use a known Buick builder from the boards." Then a highly respected Buick person on the board replied "Grooms is reputable."

If I was ever going to have another engine built, I would most definately go to one of the known builders assciated with the Buick community. Yes, it would cost more and take longer, but you talking about an engine that you are going to thrash for 1000's of miles. My nightmare with Grooms went on for over a year and I ended up rebuiliding the engine myself. I lost about $3500.00, to say nothing of the time lost.
I know in the past some knowledgable people have said that Grooms was reputable, but most of the complaints have arisen within the past year or so. Don't go to Grooms.

I agree. I think it's important that we use someone that is respected and active on this board. Otherwise they have no reason to stand behind their product.

New info from my engine builder. The crank is unsalvagable and has to be replaced. He thinks that Grooms didn't set up the main caps/girdle correctly. Only good news so far is that the pistons can be reused.