Dog owners inside

We have been feeding our dogs the cheap Kroger brand Purina Dog Chow as long as I can remember, I just looked what it said in the ingredients and the very first one is: Whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal....

Always stay away from foods thats main ingredient is a meal base which is the case when the ingredient lable leads off with one and fat as the second ingredient. Keep in mind corn is only 6% protein. Which is always the case in the bargain brands……(Scot...read your sig ;) )

Dan stick with a puppy type food until the dog is at least a 1 1/2 as they have much higher calicum, which the dog needs as the bones are growing. Then pick a good protein base dog base dog food. If the dog stays outside stay with a protein base in the fall but ramp up the fat percentage to prepare them for winter.

We have trained, hunting & raised Labs for the last 20 years.....

Here is our 3 month old Lab with his "best friend" :cool:

Attachments

• Bo 004.jpg
    Bo 004.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 467
We feed our Beagle, Katrina, Eukanuba Adult small breed weight control. We feed our Siamese, Merlin, and White cat, Taka, Iams Muti-cat, and also some meals of wet food- Fancy Feast etc.

We feed "Sunny"our Jack Russell terrier, some "Vet Diet" brand lamb & rice dog food...Our female cat "Annabelle", likes some wet type food like Fancy Feast, etc...

Claude.

good stuff

I buy the Iams lamb and rice food in the red bag.

Nice Shepherd Dan!:D Best dogs!

Attachments

• iams.jpg
    iams.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 454
My GSD is 8.5 yeard old.....wife feed fer that organic crap (purina)

I feed it cats......doin just fine.

She has severe hip disp. Had a triple pelvic ostiotemy (spelling) when she was 8 months. No matter how much pain she may be in, she will not show it....in fact I don't know if she is in any pain....just grunts a little when she gets up from a lay.

My GSD is 8.5 yeard old.....wife feed fer that organic crap (purina)

I feed it cats......doin just fine.

She has severe hip disp. Had a triple pelvic ostiotemy (spelling) when she was 8 months. No matter how much pain she may be in, she will not show it....in fact I don't know if she is in any pain....just grunts a little when she gets up from a lay.

Hell dan even I grunt once in awhile when getting up from a lay lol.

I had the similar mix as Dan a Sheppard & Collie & back in the 70's it was Dr. Ballards in a can with some dry on the side. My friend uses dry with home cooking on his American Bulldog. My neice is a trainer/dog phycologist (dont laugh she is Good!) & boards a few friends dogs on her 10 acres near Montreal. She has Huskies but I think she uses dry as well. Plus the treats of course. I'll find a few pics. Hr dogs are Beautiful Animals!

We feed our Chocolate Lab Purina One. I used to give him Beneficial until I noticed his skin was breaking out and getting really dry and flakey. Their main ingredient is corn. Dogs are carinvors so I switched to a product where meat was the main ingredient. That's not to say he doesn't love fruit and veggies though.

Attachments

• 100_2136.jpg
    100_2136.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 428
Wellness or Bill Jack is what you want if you are looking for high end quality dog food. By the look of ur pup it appears that it has some working bloodlines in him based on his dark snout so I would opt for Wellness which is what I usually feed my Doberman. Raw diets are excellent as well but can get a little pricey. Wellness - Healthy Dog and Cat Food

It's unlikely ur gonna find it at Walmart or the grocery store but you might beable to pick it up at ur local Petco or a similar pet store. Not really sure what is around you but any decent pet store will have it.

everything you need to know . :)

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

TLC Pet Food - FREE SHIPPING - TLC Whole Life Natural Pet Food this is what I use . Gets a real good rating , all natural , not to badly priced .and delivered right to the front door .
Very interesting reviews! Science diet, Iams, purina all of them- ALL CRAP! ALL HAVE BI-PRODUCTS!! LOL

Making the trip tomorrow to Sevier Co-Op and switching over to 6 star premium dog food Naturapet Innova EVO "Red Meat" for the big dogs and a bag for "Riely" the boxer puppy!! :D

It was amazing to see all these dog foods listed that you thought were top of the line all these years just to find out they are not much better than the cheap food..

Thanks for sharing,

Scot W.

Switching from Science Diet in the AM to TLC, thanks for sharing. We really appreciate it!

Switching from Science Diet in the AM to TLC, thanks for sharing. We really appreciate it!

Your dog will love the TLC .They also have very heathy biscuits treats . I tend to over research things a little and the TLC was the best I could find dollar for dollar . and the free shipping is a bonus, make a phone call and it's on the front porch in 1 - 2 days . . :)

I have fed Turbo Quality C plus for seven years then the doc put him on a diet. Now he eats boiled chicken or hamburger with rice,peas and carrots and loves it. He still eats whetever we eat at dinner but no dog food at all. His nuroligist and main vet said all dog food is crap. He has lost about 10 lbs in 2 months which we thought was to much but the doc says he is fine. He was liking his pool today:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC01055-1.jpg
    DSC01055-1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 412
Wellness or Bill Jack is what you want if you are looking for high end quality dog food. By the look of ur pup it appears that it has some working bloodlines in him based on his dark snout so I would opt for Wellness which is what I usually feed my Doberman. Raw diets are excellent as well but can get a little pricey. Wellness - Healthy Dog and Cat Food

It's unlikely ur gonna find it at Walmart or the grocery store but you might beable to pick it up at ur local Petco or a similar pet store. Not really sure what is around you but any decent pet store will have it.

Wellness is what we used exclusively!! Mixed dry and canned.

I looked into the "dog food issue" some years ago when my pittweiler fell down in the hallway and had a seizure. I called the vet and they said "it happens"... Sometimes I think the vets are morons...

Anyway, I started doing my own reseach and found an "organic" pet food book (Hey it was in SoCal).. It was explained that diet could cause seizures...
Once I started reading, they actually explained that most all dry dog food is the same crap under different names. I was ready to switch over to the "fancy name brands" but when I read the ingredients, they all started with corn or rice...

The biggest things I took from the book were to go an look at the dog droppings. If you let them sit for a few days, they should be dark. You'll notice that with certain foods it will turn white in color (not good- all processed crap- avoid this food)

Also, you should add raw meat and veggies to the diet too. The dog's digestive system is different from ours. They can eat raw meat and even slightly old meat with no ill effects. I go the the meat section and buy heart, liver or just big chunks of stew meat and give it to all my dogs on occasion. They get an egg here and there... Since I've done this there have been no seizures, no ill effects at all and all 3 are big and healthy.

They love the raw bones too, as long as they're uncooked to prevent splintering it's all good.

I also feed them the cheap wal-mart dry food (ol' roy) and a small bit of the ol' roy wet food. They love it and it's cheap. I tired to give them the "better brands" and they woudn't eat it.

I think as long as you supplement the diet with some real raw meat, the dogs will be just fine...

Some beautiful dogs in this thread. Heres my new Bull Mastiff puppy. He had parvo and almost died. $2300 kept him going!

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 331