Does this annoy anyone else???

2QWIK4U

The advertising world loves to use the word "turbo" in everything...turbo razors,turbo toaster,turbo hairdryer,turbo octane boost,turbo this and that.I don't know why but it just irritates the crap out of me when it has nothing to do with a turbo.:mad:
I'll take my meds now and leave yall alone:D

hum... i just checked the dictionary, 1990 so its really not up to date, but there was nothing under turbo. so i guess it would be one of those words you can use however you want?

but yes, all this new advertising sucks! the X-treme stuff and the turbos and everything else, its anoying

Originally posted by denn454
hum... i just checked the dictionary, 1990 so its really not up to date, but there was nothing under turbo. so i guess it would be one of those words you can use however you want?

found this on dictionary.com:

4 entries found for turbo.
turbo-
pref.
Turbine: turbocharger.
Driven by a turbine: turbojet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[From turbine.]

[Buy it]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

turbo

\Tur"bo\, n. [L. turbo, -inis, a top. See Turbine.] (Zo["o]l.) Any one of numerous marine gastropods of the genus Turbo or family Turbinid[ae], usually having a turbinate shell, pearly on the inside, and a calcareous operculum.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=turbo

That is almost as bad as the use of the word "Technician". I am a transmission technician but I almost like to use the word mechanic. Too many "sanitation technician", "waste managment technician" usage. The sanitation technician is the guy who "drives the trash truck".

Sorry to hijack the thread.:eek:

The one that always gets me

There is some stupid ricer add where they have a bunch of girls fawning over some piece of crap. One runs her fingers over some fender vents and goes, "Ohhh turbo vents." Tell me one thing what in the hell is a turbo vent? Did only the GNXs have turbos??? Damn ricer idiots.

-Black Sabbath

Here's one that drives me nuts every time I hear/see it. Its also a razor commercial where it starts "titanium, the sharpest metal known to man" Then a gaint saw blade cuts a car in half... Since when did a metal become 'sharp'?? :rolleyes:

Or how about all the VW morons going around thinking they have an engine made out of Turbonium?:rolleyes:

I have a "turbo" VCR!!

It is a mitsubishi and has an incredible "turbo" rewind that actually does sound like it is spooling up some boost and about to eject the tape across the room. I like it:D

I've got a Vtech cordless phone... I know the spelling isn't right but it's close enough.

Re: The one that always gets me

Originally posted by Black Sabbath
There is some stupid ricer add where they have a bunch of girls fawning over some piece of crap. One runs her fingers over some fender vents and goes, "Ohhh turbo vents." Tell me one thing what in the hell is a turbo vent? Did only the GNXs have turbos??? Damn ricer idiots.

-Black Sabbath

I saw that one. Worst commerical ever. I think its pep boys or something like that.