Does it ever end!? - Cam sensor

Dreamcar86

Just when I think I am ready for a sunny day drive the car is on the acceleration lane getting onto the highway and boom, big cloud of black smoke and engine dies. After having the car towed home I discover that the cam sensor interrupter ring broke. There is also oil in the engine compartment due to the backfire. My question is will the RJC cam sensor fix kit cure this problem for future use and what kind of damage can I expect to find in the engine after a backfire like this? Head gaskets, broken rocker shafts?

I'd like to see some replies on this too. :) I had this happen to me too. On the dyno at 6000 RPM. Sounded like a bomb, and needless to say made me poo poo in my panties. You should have seen the shop guys runnin for it. Finally found what happened and was glad it was not catastrophic. They had a TIG there and I thought that I could fit it up super easy enough. It looked pretty good so we gave it another shot. The guys working there were hiding. And guess what? pow. Same RPM. The GD ring broke off on around the outside of the weld.

Didn't seen to hurt anything though. :eek:

How does Jasons fix work? Iffy or worth the money?

I'd like to see some replies on this too. :) I had this happen to me too. On the dyno at 6000 RPM. Sounded like a bomb, and needless to say made me poo poo in my panties. You should have seen the shop guys runnin for it. Finally found what happened and was glad it was not catastrophic. They had a TIG there and I thought that I could fit it up super easy enough. It looked pretty good so we gave it another shot. The guys working there were hiding. And guess what? pow. Same RPM. The GD ring broke off on around the outside of the weld.

How does Jasons fix work? Iffy or worth the money?

Did yours blow oil into the engine compartment? I have a funny feeling a head gasket let go.:(

How does Jasons fix work? Iffy or worth the money?[/QUOTE]

Russ Merrit installed the RJC fix in mine. No problems here. I had one let go prior to him doing it and it took me two day to figure out why the car was running so funny. It sheared the tab and turned just enough to act really wierd. Small backfires, nothing major. Now if you have oil in the engine compartment I'd get out the compression tester. If you have a compressor a leakdown may be useful.

How does Jasons fix work? Iffy or worth the money?[/QUOTE]

Russ Merrit installed the RJC fix in mine. No problems here. I had one let go prior to him doing it and it took me two day to figure out why the car was running so funny. It sheared the tab and turned just enough to act really wierd. Small backfires, nothing major. Now if you have oil in the engine compartment I'd get out the compression tester. If you have a compressor a leakdown may be useful.

That is good to know. I will order the part today and get started on finding any other problems that the backfire may have caused.

I had a friend have his go around 6000 on the dyno as well. No oil or anything, it just popped and died. Luckily the shop had an old cam sensor body laying around that we took some parts off of. I installed RJCs fix on my car just to be safe... is it worth the money? Dunno but it seems to work.

Jason's kit does fix a broken cam sensor quite well. But the reason it breaks should still be addressed IMHO. It would also save a bunch from breaking in the 1st. place...

Seen a bunch once cammed and run harder, at higher rpm...

K.

I know a guy that it happened to him same way it did me, on the dyno with high RPM. I bet valvetrain harmonics play heavily into this.

Jason's kit does fix a broken cam sensor quite well. But the reason it breaks should still be addressed IMHO. It would also save a bunch from breaking in the 1st. place...

Seen a bunch once cammed and run harder, at higher rpm...

K.

I know a guy that it happened to him same way it did me, on the dyno with high RPM. I bet valvetrain harmonics play heavily into this.

Good point guys. This happened after building a roller motor with mild cam. Truth is I never even thought about when building the motor.

Also, if you are running an aftermarket front cover and the alignment is "off", the cam sensor will not line up perfectly. I went through 3 cam sensors back in the 90's before I figured that one out. Also took me some time to figure out the HV oil pumps were not needed and contributed to early destruction of the front cam bearing.
Mike

Also, if you are running an aftermarket front cover and the alignment is "off", the cam sensor will not line up perfectly. I went through 3 cam sensors back in the 90's before I figured that one out. Also took me some time to figure out the HV oil pumps were not needed and contributed to early destruction of the front cam bearing.
Mike

Interesting. I do have an aftermarket timing cover, however there is no HV oil pump installed. What did you do to fix the cam sensor problem?

The cam sensor hole was drilled slightly "off" so the cam sensor would not engauge the cam gear perfectly, as it needs to in order to survive. I would have never guessed that was the problem in a million years, engine builders on this board noticed it was happening many aftermarket covers, HV oil pump or not, it was/is a machining flaw.
I did notice that when I did have to change the cam sensor it was very difficult to push down into the hole all the way, I really had to fight it, looking back it was because the gears were not lined up properly. With my TA cover it just falls in no problem. My solution would be to call a quality vendor, DLS/Weber/TA and have them prepare a cover for you, bolt it on and roll, it may cost more but you won't be screwing around with cam sensors and front covers anymore.
Mike

The cam sensor hole was drilled slightly "off" so the cam sensor would not engauge the cam gear perfectly, as it needs to in order to survive. I would have never guessed that was the problem in a million years, engine builders on this board noticed it was happening many aftermarket covers, HV oil pump or not, it was/is a machining flaw.
I did notice that when I did have to change the cam sensor it was very difficult to push down into the hole all the way, I really had to fight it, looking back it was because the gears were not lined up properly. With my TA cover it just falls in no problem. My solution would be to call a quality vendor, DLS/Weber/TA and have them prepare a cover for you, bolt it on and roll, it may cost more but you won't be screwing around with cam sensors and front covers anymore.
Mike

Well my problems just compounded as I pulled the harmonic balancer off to discover the neck on it was broken into several pieces. Not sure if the back fire caused this or if it was pre-existing. I do know that after the back fire oil was all over the crank pulley and surrounding area. Looks like I had better pull the motor and check for any additional damage.

It happened to me at 6500 rpms at the track on a 9 sec pass. Block ended up cracking a few passes later. Was it related? Who know's but my guess is yes.

This happened to me last year in Noble on my second run around half track. No apparent damage but it makes me nervous. Thanks for the post as I must call RJC to get this part.

It happened to me at 6500 rpms at the track on a 9 sec pass. Block ended up cracking a few passes later. Was it related? Who know's but my guess is yes.

Well every night I just keep finding more problems. This evenings unveiling was a broken crank. I will pull the motor this weekend and see what else is damaged. I am hoping that the block is not damaged.