Does FAST DOS work with WIN XP?

Dave King

I loaded my DOS software onto my new laptop and I'm getting an error saying that only the demo functions work. In the datalogger portion only 4 parameters are there. Am I doing something wrong?

it wont work correctly until it sees an ECM connected atleast 1 time. Then it wont be a demo version anymore
Otto

From doing a search of older posts, it says that XP does not support DOS programs. This week I upgraded to a PIII w/ME on an HP laptop and have not been able to get connected with the ECM using the DOS version of C-Com. I wheeled over an older desktop MMX w/98 on it and it worked. So I know it's in my laptop.

FINELY got through to FAST and had them next day air the WP version and will see how that goes.

If there is a place that FAST needs to upgrade, it is in phone tech support. Two days to get throuht is too long. I did talk to Craig and he walked me through the set up to get my laptop to open in DOS but it didn't work. I really don't like to have to call direct like that since thats not his function. But he's a good guy nonetheless.
He helped me out very early in the learning curve.

first thing I would check is how the com ports are set up on the laptop and what com port C com is looking for. I think com 1 is default if I remember correctly.

Doug

windows xp does not suport dos. i was told. you can get to the dos promt in xp but the dos fast program will not run.

I was responding to Glens trouble with his laptop with Windows ME on it which does support dos. and yup, XP dont do dos.

Doug

I did check the com port and made sure that it was set correctly. Even with the boot disk it would not go to DOS, don't know why. Had one of those kids that run around with alot of pens in their shirt pockets, he had a look at it and got it to go to the DOS prompt w/o the C:/windows> only the C:/ and when we typed in cc or CC or cc.exe or CC.exe we would get a Bad Command or File Name. Deleted and reinstalled the disk, no luck

With my desktop I use for work, a PIII w/ME, when I would click on the icon for CCom the monitor would click, the screen would blink and the program comes up, but I can't wheel this one out to the bay, but I have used it before.

Now my laptop doesn't doesn't do any of these things except go to the demo mode.

FAST in their infinite wisdom, or lack thereof, failed to send my disk out yesterday. Their response was 'I don't know why it didn't go'. So now my Next Day Air has turned into Second Day Air. It seems anytime you deal with their people in MISS. you're going to have problems or no answers.

SOoooooo 2morrow we shall see again, maybe

Well, 2morrow is here and NO WP. :mad: After 2 calls to FAST, 1 call to UPS, 2 more calls with FAST, it seems the powers that be in the shipping dept. @ FAST can't read and sent my disk to Leverne Ca. To make matters worse, UPS called FAST to verify the address because they couldn't deliver it to the address on the box. Must be something in the water in Mempis.

Yea..... I'm pretty well pissed:mad:

Glen, I am sorry about the problems you have been having. Don't know what else to say about that as it is 1200 miles away from me.

Anyhow, as has been stated previously, the DOS version of C-Com can't work under Windows XP. XP simply doesn't allow direct access to the communication port.

Not trying to get it to work with XP, tried to get it to work with ME and it's not working for me, attempt @ humor @ a humorless situation I'm in.

Update......... UPS, the savior of all who need stuff overnite, deliver WP this morning. Installed set com port...... it works!:D
'BFT

problems

Glen,

Sorry about the delivery problems. I am not the one in Ms that you were working with but I will be glad to help you in the future. Let me know if I can help. I do stay on the phone helping others so if you can't get through leave a message and you will get called back.

Mike (FAST) 662-224-9335

If you have a fast connection I can email you the windows software. The setup program is about 800K I think.

Steve