Does a 255/50/17 fit???

TR6

Hi:

I saw a set of 255/50/17 on a nice set of torq thrust type wheels for sale real cheap. I rolled it up to the car (mounted on the wheel, but just sitting on the ground next to the car), and the tire was about to the bottom lip of the wheel opening in the fender. My guess is that they will sit a little lower when actually on the car, and the car may sit a little higher as well, but it seems like they might just be too big. Any ideas? I didn't want to take the time to switch them all over to the car. It is about 20 degrees today. I think they would be fine in the back, but I bet they rub in front. Has anyone tried this size? Better yet, any pictures of them on a car?

Thanks anyone!

Would it be possible for the seller to allow you to mount one on the front and rear for you to check?

Tire Rack says the 255/50/17 has a tire height of 27 inches...a section width of 10.4 inches, and a tire width of 8.2 inches. What's the offset of the rims their mounted on?

I've seen guys using 255/50/15 tires...and they have the same height/width dimensions as the tires/rims you looked at. I would THINK that with a rim with a 4" offset, you'd be fine on the rears. I would also THINK that the trouble would be with the fronts, you wouldn't be able to turn the steering to full lock to lock without rubbing issues. Good luck.

He would let me try them on, but it was freezing ass cold outside and I ran into him in a parking lot and didn't have tools, etc. with me. They are from a sonoma gt, which he is also selling if anyone is interested, so I think they are similar offset but I don't know exactly. I did see the height of 27 inches, and it looks like the stock tire height is just over 25 inches, so I think they will be tight up front. My springs are probably not quite at stock height after all these years either.

Thanks for the info.

I have a 265/50/15 up front and it would rub on hard pot holes while driving fast. Now add a couple inches of height and your getting dangerously too close to the meat of the side wall when it rubs even for my taste.

That is what I was afraid of. Too bad, because I can get a killer deal on them.