Dodge Challenger

GullsGN

OLD HIPPIE
I am thinking of buying a new Dodge Challenger with the smaller Hemi. Has anyone driven one or own one? Any opinions?

I am thinking of buying a new Dodge Challenger with the smaller Hemi. Has anyone driven one or own one? Any opinions?

I love 'em. Have heard about some issues with them though. My buddy bought this Limited Edition orange one in '08. My NC buddy just bought this special order SS. Something to consider...;)

Attachments

• IMGP2881.jpg
    IMGP2881.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 608
  • DSC00230.JPG
    DSC00230.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 609

I havn't driven an R/T (the model with the smaller hemi) or owned one but just in case you havn't seen some of these there is a bunch of comparo's on you tube,this one (At the bottom of the post)is of the 2011,s but the challenger being tested is a srt8 which is with the bigger hemi.

There is some others on you tube too,but you have to read the headline because some might be from 2010,+ there has been some changes made to all the cars since more hp + options etc.
Personally if i were buying new, it would be the mustang,+ my first car was a big block challenger + have had a bunch of hemi's, so i'm a bit bias in the dodge direction,but the new stangs are i think the best new cars going,+ i think even 2010 315 hp stang got the nod for the best of the three in the comparo's, but i have really only gotten interested in them since 2011,the bang for the buck for a new car is, i think the best.
I drove the Camaro + i liked the looks of them going down the road ,but hate the interior,the guages, shifter, everything,power is great,but hated the feel in it, too hard to see around you,they were definetly going for looks over visibiility + functionality Just didn't like it at all.
I drove the Challenger a few yrs ago,when they first came out + to me it just felt HUGE + kind of soft suspension wise(but it was a six cyl)I was turned off by the size,I thought my old Challengers were big + they were,but new ones just feel gigantic, tho i do like the look of them when i see them going down the road. I drove the Mustang GT + fell in love with it,It doesn't feel real small either, but smaller then the other 2 + it is, it doesn't have the visibility of a family car either but it just feels like a much more rounded out car then the other 2,+ the power is incredible.
Have you driven the competition yet ? I would go + drive them all if you havn't,unless your heart is set on the Dodge.
Even if you are the type that wouldn't own a chevy or ford,i would drive them just to see how good or bad the dodge is in comparison.
I know you didn't ask about the other cars but you did ask for opinions so i hope i didn't go too far off course.
Anyway here is a comparo,+ there is more on you tube look around.
+ good luck with whatever you get. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB4vfZDYyO8

The choice of the three current muscle cars depends entirely upon what you plan to do with it. Lots of online comparisons. That said, my wife has a '10 challenger R/T classic with the auto and we love it. It is the perfect car for what we wanted. We won't be drag racing the damn thing, we wanted a cool cruiser, adequately powered, with looks that kill, the most room and best highway ride. The R/T classic fits. It is the biggest of them all, the challenger (LC) is a shortened LX (charger/300/magnum) chassis. Big and comfy and roomy, can hold car seats in the back if necessary. Also it was her color :)

Biggest advantage of the camaro is the availabilty and cost of performance parts, with the LS motor. Biggest advantage of the mustang is what the mustang has always been: Fastest out of the box per dollar spent. Plenty of challengers going fast but you will spend more money to do it if drag racing is your thing. Of course, if drag racing is your thing then none of these new heavy ass cars with IRS in the back are what you want anyway IMO. G body FTW! The other two especially the mustang will handle better in the twists. Everybody called the challenger a fat pig when it was built but when the camaro hit the streets it was only slightly lighter. About the equivalent of having a passenger in it if I recall correctly.

Only complaint we have is backing the damn thing up. No rear visibility but that is another problem they all seem to have. Remember that it's easier to make a slower car go fast than it is to make a sh!tbox into a nicer car. But then again some people aren't planning on cross country trips like we are. Buy what suits your needs. To answer your original question: Yes we have an R/T and yes we are very happy with it.

I bought the 5.7 hemi and sold it dew to another kid but now wished I had not I loved that car so much it was not the fastest thing but damn it just drove good and rode better than any 2 door car I have ever been in. I am sure a new mustnag can out corner or drag race it but in my older age I love a great riding drivng car.

I had an '09 R/T in Deep Water Blue that I just recently traded. I bought it back in May of '09 and had alot of fun with it for 2 years. Great car for long trips, smooth ride, lots of room inside, decent gas mileage considering the amount of power it puts out. 5.7 Hemi has the MDS (4 cylinder mode) when you aren't mashing the pedal. Turn the ESP off in that car and you will be able to do a really nasty burnout. Car tips the scales at 4100 lbs. and you will know it. It's almost driving a Dodge Ram without the pickup bed. lol. Tough call with the new 5.0 being out. Challenger really nails it in the looks department though.

A silver SRT8 with a Hellion twin turbo kit is in our future. Just waiting for the slightly used prices to come down a bit more :). 500+rwhp in a nice riding street cruiser that can tour the country sounds great!

We love my Wifes 06 Charger R/T. Would love to have a Hellion kit on it, when money permits of course! :frown:

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 372
Saw a couple challengers at the car show tonight,so i took some pics,
the one with the raised center scoop hood is a 2010,not too many came with that hood,it is part of an option package,according to the owner.
I've only seen one other like that.
There seems to be alot of this color + black ones,around here + i know you are from mass. so if you want something different ,better get a diff color.
These were at the lancaster ma.kimball farm cruise night tonight.

Saw a couple challengers at the car show tonight,so i took some pics,
the one with the raised center scoop hood is a 2010,not too many came with that hood,it is part of an option package,according to the owner.
I've only seen one other like that.
There seems to be alot of this color + black ones,around here + i know you are from mass. so if you want something different ,better get a diff color.
These were at the lancaster ma.kimball farm cruise night tonight.

here is the pics

Attachments

• P1000533.jpg
    P1000533.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 333
same car
Those stripes are different from usual too,it's probably part of the same package that gave him the hood.

Attachments

• P1000534.jpg
    P1000534.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 348
Maybe a dealer add on as well. They are bad for that and call the stripes a "special package".:cool:

This is the other style ,I like the first one better.
One thing that you can't see very well in these pics, is the 4 or 5 inch wide black strip at the bottom of the door + front fender,to me It extends the body down too far + makes a big car look even bigger.It doesn't show up very good in these pics because the car is parked in the grass,it just looks like shadow under the car. I'm not sure if the body does extend that far down or if that is just plastic that hangs down,but it bugs me everytime i see it because it just makes the body look like it's too wide between the bottom of the windows + the ground,like there should be a little more daylight under there instead of body.
I think it shows the most from the side + that bottom pic probably shows it the best.Maybe it's just me but every time i'm near one my eye just goes right to that + i think ,man if it wasn't for that 1 thing the car would be great ,other then the weight + overall size.

Attachments

• P1000536.jpg
    P1000536.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 349
  • P1000535.jpg
    P1000535.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 343
That is the "Classic" option. Yes it looks much better. Here is a pic of my friends car that is also the classic series but in Deep Water Blue.

Attachments

• 17066_1330302667673_1534192635_30914458_4477852_n.jpg
    17066_1330302667673_1534192635_30914458_4477852_n.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 324
  • 17066_1330302627672_1534192635_30914457_6651303_n.jpg
    17066_1330302627672_1534192635_30914457_6651303_n.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 316
  • 17066_1330302547670_1534192635_30914455_1800847_n.jpg
    17066_1330302547670_1534192635_30914455_1800847_n.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 316
  • 17066_1330302427667_1534192635_30914452_4246076_n.jpg
    17066_1330302427667_1534192635_30914452_4246076_n.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 314
Maybe a dealer add on as well. They are bad for that and call the stripes a "special package".:cool:

I would have thought dealer installed too, for the scoop + diff stripes,but it seems to me the one i saw at the dealership months ago had it right on the original window sticker.

i'm figuring it's only a matter of time before they come out with the shaker hood, + the sublime color,+ force me into buying one.

Attachments

• scan0106.jpg
    scan0106.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 336