Do poston headers crack?

For those of you who had the Postons crack, lets see if there is a link.

What Year Did You Purchase Them? Summer 2003... i think

Daily Driver or Weekend High Booster? Daily driver

Average PSI You Where Running? 15psi for 3 years,17 for 1/2 year, 21 now!

How Many Miles Before The Cracking Started? 35000 or so

location? pass. side #6 weld to log section

Going from memory 2002 or so. :p

Daily driver.

24psi. pump and alky. rarely done on the street but it is capable. :smile:

Approx. 25K miles and 4 years time.

Drivers side was worse for me 1, 3, and 5 tubes.

Passenger side was minor cracking around 2 of the 3 tubes nothing that leaked much.

I will reuse stock welded units before I bought another set that's for sure.

But the welding has held up pretty well so far. :smile:

And I'll weld them again if I can mostly due to all the damm porting I did on them. :biggrin:

I doubt they would have been anywhere near as bad if the motor mount wasn't broken for at least 2-3 months.

I also believe all headers on our cars will crack, sooner or later.... :eek:

Time will tell on the new ones out there. ;)

Purchased around late 02. Cracked in 06. Daily driver running @ 17#. Approximately 27,000 miles. Both sides. Passenger side was 2 of the tubes to the log but pretty small. Driver's side was larger and about in the same place as the stockers crack.

Boost231 got his non crackers around 99 and mine were bought 10-1-99 and installed on the new motor in 2000 and still holding strong with about 20k on them ( recoated HPC chrome ).

2002 and on seem to be cracking so far.

Boost231 got his non crackers around 99 and mine were bought 10-1-99 and installed on the new motor in 2000 and still holding strong with about 20k on them ( recoated HPC chrome ).

2002 and on seem to be cracking so far.

well i also just ported the hell out of them so we will see if they crack around the ports now. i had alot of weld slag around the ports the i cleaned up. we will see

brent

I wonder if it has anything to do with moter mounts. The more movement like a stock mount the more it is prone to crack. Maybe getting a more solid mount could help.

Hookers have been out forever unless you're running 10's or better. :wink:

I do have a set
It was more of hopeful Joke as to need them and have to use them.

But since day one I always looked at the Postons as the headers for me to get.
But I guess I am a few years too late now.

Just for reference mine cracked BEFORE they were ported.

I put them on in a hurry doing a lot of work on the car at 124K miles (timing chain etc.), since my stockers had some large cracks in them and I didn't have a welder available locally.

I didn't realize the port size when I put them on was actually smaller than the stockers, I thought they were okay out of the box. :p

After taking them off to weld them up I ported them out completely to the stock opening sizes.

No cracks yet and yes I believe the HR Parts poly. mount is helping. :)

if '02 it is i gues '08 is way out.
Hookers it is.

during tear down of my motor i took off the hooker headers and they were cracked around ALL of the tubes:eek: everywhere! i counted at least 5 cracks on each header. in my opinion they are junk, id invest in a set of stockers anyway they are good enough for most cars.

buickbert

heres a pic of mine, camera has problem focusing apparently!
crackedheader.jpg

Anyone know where you can have your stock drivers side header sent to for repair??? The usual drivers side crack.I heard Jack Cotton did a good job with this any idea how much???