Do poston headers crack?

hemity

86 T-Type
Are poston headers prone to crack? If so were are they more likely to do so.
Or are they a good stock upgrade?

Poston's

Five years of floggings on my ceramic coated headers. Still like new.

I've had mine since 2000 ( not a ton of miles on them though ) and still good.

But I did see a Poston on here cracked once, not sure who owned them but they seem to be pretty reliable.

Mine cracked in about 4 years on a daily driver.

Nothing that couldn't be welded. ;)

Drivers side was worse but I did have a bad engine mount in that time frame.

I am sure it contributed to the failure.

HR Parts drivers side poly. mount fixed that problem.

Jacks' son Bubba :p welded the headers, and my spare set of stockers, both done on a flat heat sink steel plate I made to bolt them to.

mine cracked!!! and r still cracked:rolleyes: ceramic coating still looks great on mine, had crossover pipe welded together to stop it crom leaking and occ. rattling aswell. cracked almost all the way around the #6 cyl tube weld to the log going to the turbo!

i got scared when i saw a guy that is selling them on here and all three tubes looked like they were rewelded on the drivers side, and two other spots on the pass. side!

overall though, not bad. mine lasted about 4 years, 40000 miles or so!

it has a 340 walbro as of now would like to know what turbo to go with and inj also down pipe and chip also intercooler

Welcome FLATLINE! start a new thread in this same section "General Turbo Buick Tech" for ur question. this one was for cracked headers! U will get plenty of answers with ur own thread:smile:

they bolted up nicely for me, the only thing was the my crossover leaked where it sliped together. nothing a good clamp couldnt fix!

Mine cracked after about 3 years on a dd. Welded them up and they're doing fine still. I wasn't too pleased with the ceramic coating but fit was good. I would have had to do a lot of cleaning on them if I wanted to port match them though. They were kinda sloppy on the inside. :frown: If the e-bay headers had been around then I probably would have tried them (I'm a cheapskate, not really, just on a tight budget) but when I got them it was pretty much Poston's or ATR type. At about 2/3 the price of the ATR's the choice was simple. But overall I have been pleased with them.

Out of the box you need to port them with a dremel tool and carbide bit for about 4-5 hours to get the ports cleaned up to equal the stock size.

Then you have to do the tube from the header outlet to the turbo inlet, another hour or two. :eek:

Just compare them to a stocker if you buy them.

Once on you can clamp the two piece crossover or weld it in place. It will probably rust a bit at the welded joint on a driver.

I thought they ALL could crack , i think it depends on high boost also. mine cracked i had them about 2 yrs (driver side.) I now have t/a headers,, so far so good.

For those of you who had the Postons crack, lets see if there is a link.

What Year Did You Purchase Them?

Daily Driver or Weekend High Booster?

Average PSI You Where Running?

How Many Miles Before The Cracking Started?