Do knock sensors go bad?

wyk3d

Car wiring sucks!
I am redoing the engine and the knock sensor looks pretty old and rusted. Do these things ever go bad? Should i replace it since the engines out already or just leave it. As far as i know it was working fine before i took the engine out a month ago.

Dan

I would replace it myself. I cannot honestly say how long they normally last...maybe a long time. But, if mine were rusty looking, & hadn't been replaced in a while, it would be changed. You can test them (the ole hammer rap on the block trick), but of course the motor must be running.:)
Just remember to clean the threads real good & tighten to the correct (8) ft.lbs?? Someone please verify the preceeding.

HTH:)

Also, there is a torque spec for the knock sensor. 14 foot pounds. And there some type of sealant on the threads, do not add any more or disturb that sealant. Just spin it in and torque to spec.

Leave it alone until you have everything back together. Change it after you get all the bugs out, or you will be wondering if the new knock sensor is causing a problem. Always best to change one thing, or as few things as possible at a time..

Your welcome. If you overtorque the sensor, it makes it more sensitive, and if it's under torqued, it's less sensitive