Ditched the FMIC, E85, Pre and Post Alky, Setup Inside

Bruce is no longer with us sadly. Very smart guy and he's sorely missed around here.

Just did a search and I can't believe I just found this out now considering how long ago it was. I gotta get back in the loop. No matter how long it took, that is horrible news (or olds) to me.:frown:

Quick update...

After trying out my new 9.5" PTC for shift rpm I'm getting the dreaded Alky farts in 1st. For those of you who've never tried running alky with the standard chip, (you're not cheap like some of us at times) this happens when you don't get the alky chip that adds timing and takes away fuel across the board.

So I'm going to go back out with the Wideband and see how much correction is needed with Alky and E85. I'll update Eric and see what he thinks, maybe he'll make an across the board update to customers with this setup and his TT Chips. I have a feeling I'll need to ditch 10% fuel in 1st to cure it and probably raise the boost to 22-23psi to help.

Quick update...

After trying out my new 9.5" PTC for shift rpm I'm getting the dreaded Alky farts in 1st. For those of you who've never tried running alky with the standard chip, (you're not cheap like some of us at times) this happens when you don't get the alky chip that adds timing and takes away fuel across the board.

So I'm going to go back out with the Wideband and see how much correction is needed with Alky and E85. I'll update Eric and see what he thinks, maybe he'll make an across the board update to customers with this setup and his TT Chips. I have a feeling I'll need to ditch 10% fuel in 1st to cure it and probably raise the boost to 22-23psi to help.

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction! I ditched my alcohol to run straight E-85. Just too many darn tuning variables for me.;)

I'm really digging this thread!

I've been running pre and post alky nozzles for about a year now. Pre-turbo is a small 3 gph and post-turbo is a 7 gph. I'm also running a 1/3 water to 2/3 methanol mix to cool down the intake air temps. I don't really have any supporting data to backup my setup, but I too believe I've picked up 1 PSI by having the pre-turbo nozzle.

I'm really digging this thread!

I've been running pre and post alky nozzles for about a year now. Pre-turbo is a small 3 gph and post-turbo is a 7 gph. I'm also running a 1/3 water to 2/3 methanol mix to cool down the intake air temps. I don't really have any supporting data to backup my setup, but I too believe I've picked up 1 PSI by having the pre-turbo nozzle.

Thanks for the input Eric. Some of us are trying a little more "experimenting" with the systems and it seems to be working better.:cool:

Got a chance to wideband (LM-1) my setup and here are the results.....

TT E85 Chip for 80's (set for 25psi and 25 degrees with no alky compensation)
M15 straight Meth with alky knob on 10

I was getting the alky farts in 1st gear but not 2nd so I knew it was running really fat under less load, and it was, 10.0 AF/R at the end of 1st (6k rpm).

So that's good news, I'm going to add the 2nd M15 post nozzle and move the alky knob down to 2pm (I have the old controller), then raise the boost 1psi at a time until I get around 24-25psi. I don't care about running more boost with pump E85 or finding out how far I can push it past that.

I figure after subtracting pulse width and adding the 2nd nozzle, I have plenty of injector with the Denso to go past 30psi with this setup without issue on Rockett Brand E85. Might even go to the AF/R lock chip TT offers to make this easier.

glad to see you progressing with this, as i outlined in my PM to you, i had fabulous luck with a no intercooler setup back in 2005, and was able to max out my TE44 on 32psi with 36# injectors and 3 alky nozzles spraying E98. I havent been a fan of intercoolers since and E85 just makes it that much better.

I think you will find that when you get it tuned in you will be making significantly more power than you expect

Quick update,

Ditched 10% injector at WOT across the board in the TT chip and with the same everything (psi, timing, FP, alky knob), it went from 10.0 AF/R at the 1-2 shift to 10.4 at the 1-2 shift. Whoa, that wasn't a huge jump in AF/R with 10% injector taken out across the board. Looks like the alky on full blast is going to leave me with a TON of injector pulse width to use when the bigger turbo comes.

The alky farts disappeared too so I guess mid tens AF/R is tolerable with this setup in 1st.

2nd nozzle goes on this week and so does the psi 1 pound at a time until it hits 25psi. I'm going to wuss out and stay there even if it can go past it, it's just my street tune/setup and without the MAT, I don't want another driveless Summer. :frown:

Forgot to update this but it's looking really good IMO. :cool:

24.5 psi, 25 degrees with the Twin M15's on 10 = 9.6 AF/R and no knock through 2nd (hauling ass so I didn't stay in it). I did get some knock at 28psi when the manual boost controller went in further than I thought. :mad:

I already took out 10% at WOT so I'm talking to Eric about doing an E85 chip that would pull out fuel for Alky in a similar manner to his gas chips and around 30% at WOT.

Last time

One M15 (Alky on 10) pulling out 10% leaned it out 10.0 to 10.4 at 20psi

Two M15's (Alky on 10) was 9.6 AF/R with 10% already out at 24.5psi

Maybe 20% more would bring me back to 10.4 AF/R which means it's 30% leaner than the original settings.

I think I've gone as far with this as I wanted on pump E85. I think it proved you don't need the intercooler and that the twin alky on full blast might gain you back the 30% you lose with E85 making the chip/injectors act like you're back on gas at WOT. :biggrin:

Hopefully someone with an MAT and maybe a FAST can take over from here and really answer some questions like, MAT at the end of a 1/4 run and high boost, then moderate boost. My thoughts are that 25psi should have a cold MAT where 30+psi might need more alky to keep it cool, which a higher pressure alky pump would solve instantly.

I might need the assistance of a local with Powerlogger so I can send a file to Eric at TT. PM me if you're available, I'd come out to you.

Attachments

• GN Meth Twin 2.jpg
    GN Meth Twin 2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 283
UPDATE

New chip from Eric with 30% out at WOT, total from original chip, and some mid boost trimming like a normal alky chip netted me

End of 2nd gear before = 9.6 AFR
New chip end of 2nd gear = 10.5 AFR

Everything was the same, FP and boost wise so it seems to fit the .4 decrease in AFR for every 10% on my car since the 9.6 AFR already had 10% taken out.

Looks like the twin alky at least put me back to gas perimeters so I have a long ways to go with these 80's.

I'm going to trim out 5% in all gears WOT and then an extra 5% in 1st and call it a day.

One more turn on the wastegate arm to net me 25psi and I'm finally done here. :cool:

ok im reading this and it seems everyone is running alky except me, lol. what would i need to watch out for if i deleted my IC (stretch stock location) and attempted to run it? i am about to finish off my 100% e-85 transformation. i kno you havent worked all the bugs out yet but is this somthing i can play with or do i need alky b4 i attempt this?

im trying to figure out if the e-85 is giving us the option to delete the IC or the alky or the alky and e-85 combo. some of us that are too cheap to by a stall converter an like to hear of ways to get rid of turbo lag... lol