Ditched the FMIC, E85, Pre and Post Alky, Setup Inside

What about us MAF guys, what do we need to do, not alot of room to install
one, any ideas

I highly recommend using a bead roller to put a bead on the outside of each end of your turbo-throttle body pipe, or you can weld a bead on but that can get rusty later on depending on the metals. Put the clamp behind the bead and the hose can't blow off under boost. Remember, at 25 psi boost every 3" connection has 177 pounds of force trying to blow it apart. So after putting on your hoses don't just give them a little shake to make sure they are tight, PULL on them to test :). All out race cars with 4" pipe and 30 psi have to deal with 375 pounds of force - that's why they usually add external link bars to take the load off the hose so it just has to seal.

I bought a cheap bead roller from Harbor Freight to play with, it does a decent job. Or find a sheet metal shop, or let me know and I'll take mine with me to Columbus weekend after next :).

Ah forgot about that one, good call. Too bad I'm done this year. :mad:
My buddy just lost an FMIC pipe on the road due to this and he had a small bead on his pipe. :mad:

I've been chasing a Cometic coolant leak but here's an update.

After ditching the CAS V1, I lowered the boost 3 turns on the wastegate rod figuring the CAS V1 ate up about 3psi. My initial psi setting was 23psi.

Went out yesterday and in 2nd I didn't totally floor it to see where the boost would go and .........

IT WENT TO 30psi in a heartbeat with easily more left!!!!:eek::eek::eek::mad:

It was a flash and I still had pedal left, I guess filling all that 3" plumbing and huge FMIC is really putting the hurt on our turbos.

It spools way to fast and I really need to install that 2nd alky nozzle.

So as not to be a liar you should give me your "intercooled" badges:biggrin: but def subscribed and would also like to hear how the pre turbo alky is working out.

Don't have a before and after MAT, but with a Fuel Injected E85 car you'd have to take whatever MAT temp you're reading and then subtract 20-30 degrees, carbs get about a 50 degree drop from posts I've seen. I'm using twin M15's of Meth as my intercooler with Preturbo so I'm not too concerned.

Ditched all the badges when I got the car painted, now it's a sleeper Monte to some. :eek::frown:

BTW, with the FMIC gone, the car goes to 175 and then instantly down to 165 with the twin fans on an 85 degree day. :biggrin:

Here is my WTF update on this. :eek:

Going to Jimmys to install the PTC so I had to get this boost issue resolved tonight. Check this out....

To recap, I used to run 23psi with the CAS V2. When I ditched the FMIC I screwed out the rod 3 turns. Then my post 2 above happened and I've done this to the wastegate rod...

3 turns (done after ditching FMIC)
5 turns (done before I went out tonight)
3 turns (boost was still easily going past 20psi on about 3/4 pedal)
3 turns again (damn)
2 turns (rod is almost falling off now)
Unscrewed my Manual Boost Controller screw all the way out as it was STILL NOT SETTLING AT 20PSI!!! I had about 2-3psi in the MBC.

FINALLY, after 16 turns OUT of the adjustable wastegate rod and taking out 2-3psi from the manual boost controller the GN is sitting at 20 to 20.5psi WOT.:eek::eek::eek:

I've never noticed each turn of the rod being 1psi, but I'd say every 3 turns is 2psi for sure. That means about 12psi out in the rod and another 2-3psi gone in the MBC. :confused::confused:

The only person I've heard ditching the FMIC is Bruce Plecan for an alcohol test he did. I can't find the thread but I don't recall him saying anything about this kind of overboosting by ditching the FMIC. I have a hard time believing the plumbing and FMIC core can eat up this much boost, but oh well.

Spools like crazy and at 20psi and 25 degrees of timing, with 100% Meth and the alky knob at 10, MV are low 800's and no knock. 2nd Meth nozzle is coming soon so I can run around 25psi.

Looks like we have a winner on this for sure. Please keep us updated because I'm extremely interested.

I'll leave it this way until I get the 2nd M15 installed. Then I'll add psi from the MBC first to get me back to my 2-3psi added (I noticed the rod aids spoolup better than the MBC).

I wish I monitored MAT temps as it would help me and others get a handle on how much postturbo Meth we really need. From what I've read, E85 through injectors drops cylinder temps 20-30 degrees so I only need to get it around 110-120 degrees in the intake and let the rest happen in the cylinder. This should be very possible with 3 injection nozzles and 25psi of boost.

What's killing me is look how much of the comp map I got back on the TA49, damn. :eek::D

I remember that thread, but there's another one when he did the alky test that I'm also looking for, well, I tried once and didn't follow up.

BTW, there is another member named ITSNOTAGN that's doing the same thing I've been but with E98. I'm going to PM him to get in here and fill us in.

It's a great link and I wish Bruce was still around to give more info. He's one of the inovators and is sorely missed.:frown:

That was the one I was looking for, thanks.

Note he sees a 20% difference in VE from ditching the intercooler, that's pretty astonishing to see while cruising and makes me wonder if I need to update my chip as I'm seeing a leaner cruise than idle.

It's a great link and I wish Bruce was still around to give more info. He's one of the inovators and is sorely missed.:frown:

What happened to Bruce? And from a tuning aspect, I am a newbie. I wasn't sure what that thread was saying. Was it saying a front mount is ok with a tune, or just plain laggy?