Direct Scan Blues

ngnowner

How fast was it officer?
:confused: Needed a scan tool and I had an old laptop laying around, (pentium 266 with windows ME) so I figured, after reading as many posts as I could that a direct scan setup would work for me. Bought one used from a member here but I can't get it to work right. Cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned some more, ECM pins, tried running DS from boot disk, tried all the different parallel port setting from the bios and all I get is screwy numbers at idle and as soon as I tap the gas pedal, hardware timeout. My bios port setup options are 1)normal (won't work) 2)bi-directional (won't work) 3) ECP (won't work) 4) EPP (works with screwy #'s at idle only). The connections have been checked several times, at wit's end with this thing, any help would be appreciated. thank you

Mine worked with Windows ME. There was a few items that were a little funky, but it worked.

The connector at the computer board should be pulled out 1/32 - 1/16" if its bottomed out on the board it gives weird results.

+1 with black6pack. If the connector is plugged in too far, it can cause problems. DS does work with Windows ME too.

My instructions may be too specific, I think it was Steve that said a "skoch", I'm not sure how far that is.

thanks, I'll keep trying, but patience is running thin......anybody want a direct scan? :biggrin:

If for some reason the DS is broken I have a practicly brand new one. Used maybe 10 times, Ill guarentee it. Bought DFI so I don't need it any more.

Doest DS use DOS? So whatever OS you are running doesnt matter. Pullout the plug like suggested and maybe you need the braided sheild for the ribbon cord as well.

Toothpick idea works great. The ribbon shield is usually needed. For test purposes wrap the ribbon cable in tinfoil & tape the end to the ECM for a ground effect. With the cable installed I soldiered a wire to it with an eyelet to screw to the ECM. Conleys has them for $6 It was recommended by Chris Chu the maker of it. Also they can go bad & he will R&R it for usually nothing if you send it to him. Good Guy.

I have had mine for years & every now & then they do act funny because they are Sensitive. They are good but not always perfect IMO.