direct scan install help

85turboT

First off I tried posting in the scan tool tech side and couldnt get a response im hoping that someone here can help me out with this, I cannot find the port where the direct scan plugs into, I pulled the ecm out and removed the case Cover and there doesn't seem to be a port to plug into. If anyone has any photos or can describe where it plugs into would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Direct Scan connection 003.jpg
Direct Scan connection 001.jpg

:rolleyes:Sorry for the double post. You have to cut the box as shown to get access to the connector. Make sure you remove the conformal protective coating on the computer connector.

Ok thanks for the great reference photos, I cleaned mine off today and installed the ribbon but when I booted up ds it kept saying hardware not detected or something along those lines, I may need to clean my ecm off better, how did you getall the glue to release so you could clean it off for a good contact?

Sometimes the ribbon connector plugs in to deep and makes a poor connection . I put a piece of ty-wrap (small 4" one) in the groove of the connector length wise to act as a spacer and keep the connector from plugging in too far . Try nail polish remover on the circuit board edge connections and then after it's dry, rub it with a pencil eraser . Hope this helps. Sam

Last edited:
Are you using Windows 98? Remember Direct Scan is a DOS based program. Exactly what is the error? If the error is "Hardware Timeout" the problem is it is not connecting to the car computer. If the error is "Direct Scan Hardware Timeout" then the problem is it does not see the Direct Scan interface box. I use lacquer thinner to clean the conformal coating off of the car computer interface connector. I wouldn't use an eraser to clean the contacts as it may take the tin plating off of it. Just wipe it good with a solvent.

Thanks for all the help guys I went to the shop today and cleaned the ecm again and got it to read. Im still havin trouble with the car idling rough and smoking but ill figure it out easily with the ds hooked up. Thanks for all the help.

For what it's worth using an eraser on circuit board contacts will not take off the plating , at least it hasn't for me for the last 40 years of working on electronics. :D Sam