difference between engines?

Thrasher

I've loved the 3.8 out of the gn and t type and want to build turbo engine, what is the difference between my Chevy v6 and the Buick v6 besides the obvious?

Should I just throw out my Chevy v6 and try an find a Buick by, or can I use the Chevy motor to make a turbo v6?

My goal is 350whp in this wagon with a blow through carb set up, can really afford the efi set up right now.

Sorry if these seem like noob questions but I'm needing the 411 before I move head with the rust bucked.

Chevy put the distributor on the wrong end. If you have a 4.3 Chevy it is essentially 3/4 of a 350 so pistons, rods, valve train components other than the cam will fit.
With enough desire, skillz and some money anything is possible.
On this site, geared towards Buick the replies will be slanted that way.
Do you have a drivetrain , brakes and suspension ready for an increase of power? If not you might want to start there.

For ease and probably less money a V8 swap will get you to that power level with a lot less hassle. LSx seem to be quite the rage lately. But a 350 out of a suburban with a cam and good exhaust you will be well on your way.

So your telling me I should ditch my Chevy 3.8 and find a turbo Buick block and start from there. The distributor needs to be on the front of the engine to be correct. Everything I've read has said there the same blocks. Thus is why I came to this site to get knowledgable information that I can use.

I really don't want to do the lsx or 350 swap just over done and played out to me.

Let us first determine what engine you have. The distributor statment was a joke. Sorry if it mislead you. Buick engines have the distributor(or a cam sensor in the case of the turbo engines) on the front in the timing cover leaning toward the driver side.
If yours is a 3.8L it might bea Buick engine.
Pix would help identify it.

Installing a turbo on an engine might require fabrication. Exhaust in and out of the turbo. Intake plumbing from turbo to intake manifold. Intercooler plumbing if you decide to include one. Then there is the hat to pressurize the carb and the carb for such an application.
If you don't have the skillz and fab equipment paying to have it done can add up.

No parts interchange between a chevy V6 and a buick V6. Totally different animals.

Pic of my engine bay, it's dirty I know, I just bought it an haven't had a chance to clean it

Attachments

• 1427650160047.jpg
    1427650160047.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 150