Did Indy lites use standard stage blocks?

Otto J

Also what is different about the setups?

I have a line on a garage full of Indy motors that are just
sitting around.Waiting to see if it pans out.

KLHAMMETT said:

Get the heads and cranks and sell them to me. :D

Most Indy light blocks are off center, standard deck. I believe ALL of them were built by (rented from) Ohio George Montgomery under contract.

indy blocks

different indy teams used different setups. braytons used off centers and on center blocks, the three that i have now and the ones that i have owned and sold were 9.00 inch bore and 2.88 stroke and some had 42cc heads some had 36cc the ones that i have all had fel-pro 1000 head gaskets most off center were odd fire the deck hight was 9.5300 to 9.540 , i have one that was never run just assembled for a spare, some of braytons blocks were o ringed for 1000 gaskets, the indy teams cut off part of the starter pad and corner off opposite side, the used blocks that i bought off ohio george was all 4.00 bore and 3.400 stroke and small cc heads, i have one oncenter block for sale its 9.00 bore #153 4x cross bolts in the front main only, allways look at what you buy good luck, oc,

Hey Odell, The V8 boys are getting harder to beat. I may need one of those blocks with the 9 inch bore. Also I lost your address and have the lifter things ready to send as soon as you send me your address. I think we all know where those motors are If I'm guessing right. Get off the tractor and send me your address.

I was down visiting Ohio George this past July and I started him talking about the Indy Lights program.

George told me that most of his Indy Lights engines were all off center blocks. He only had a few on-center blocks ever. They all had 3.40 stroke cranks, used Cosworth water and oil pumps on a special front cover, cosworth pistons, Carillo rods. George still has most of these engines.

George went on about how bulletproof the Buick V6 was in the Indy Lights program. He told me that Buick insisted on only the best parts for this series and price was no object!!

I had previously heard a rumor that George sold most of the engines to someone in a South American country for use down there. Turned out to be only a rumor. George is a cool old guy. Someone ought to do a biography on George and His experience as a Master Buick Engine builder

indy engines

hey ron, yea 9 inch that would be a big bore! i ment 3.900 the indy lite engines should lasted three races they only made 450 hp, george is a millionaire he thinks those engines are gold, i have bought buick parts from him years ago when parts rods, blocks, heads. cranks, were cheaper. i have knowed ohio george for about 40 years he made the malco gasser willis run, and the turbo ford mustang back in 1968 or was it 1966. long time ago anyway, ron i will e mail you, :)

Lozano Bros Porting near San Antonio was also Buick factory sponsored and I think they also did some Indy Lights stuff. They had several Indy low deck blocks laying around, but maybe that was for Indy :)

Todd

I am fairly sure all the Indy Lights were built by George but I may be wrong, I think it was a requirement for the teams to rent the engines from him as to keep everything on a strict playing field.If you are looking at Indy Light stuff, chancers are that it will be unmolested.As Odell said, they only made 450hp or so and only spun about 7000rpm.I THINK they were all 273 cubic inches.the Indy engines were all short deck and short stroke, not sure of the displacement but I think 210 cid or so and spun some serious RPM!
I bought a standard bore stage 2 off center from George about 5 years ago for $350, I think his price has gone up ten times that now.

Attachments

• george.JPG
    george.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 484
This guy is not located in Ohio,I am keeping location to myself for know until i know the whole story :)

This is a great thread, someone should right up the history of these racing programs and the people in them.

indy engines

otto. werner if im spelling it right, in wisconsin built some indy engines, and a lot of asa, nascar buick engines, i think he sold all the engines he had, gerte in northern indiana, also built a lot of sprint car engines[6 cyl buick] brayton was buicks #1 driver, he got killed in a indy car, his widow still owns the engine shop in michigan the last time i called them they didnt have any more buick parts, my brayton and marnard engines all had normal deck hights, and bore was 3,900 , sometimes there are buick parts at the racers auction which starts up pretty soon only thing its mostly roundy round stuff, i have too many buick blocks as it is, good luck oc, :)

Otto,

Indy lights motors did use standard Stage II blocks. Depending on the vintage of the chassis the motors were either Off or On center with the later cars having On center engines. They were 274" spec. motors from what I know and were all built and leased by George Montomery. Last I heard he still had in excess of 100 engines and a ton of spare parts. Some of the engines found a new home in some obscure CART class which was started up a couple of years ago. At that point George started selling his engines to the teams and contracting his services to them to maintain them. Keep in mind true Indy stuff (not Indy Lights) is a mixed bag with a lot of high parts we can't use.

KLHAMMETT said:

George's indy lites engines were all 3.4" stroke. When i was at his place a few months ago he probably had 40 or so complete engines. He still has one new on center 153 block left unless its been sold in the last few months. He may have a few new cranks but they are 3.4" stroke wide journal.

He's still got all that stuff, he knows what he has and won't let it go for cheap. I wanted a 4.1 off center block from him, but he doesn't let the stuff thats been busted go and the newer stuff is too much. Heads are everywhere, cranks too. He's also got 427 SOHC stuff sitting around and more odds and ends for just about any motor you can think of in that shop. His son is the easier of the 2 to get along with though, very nice guy.

You guys are such a wealth of knowledge, maybe you can shed some more light on this block of mine (used to have two). It's aluminum. Sleeved, virgin (bore 3.7). It appears to be VERY loosly based on the 153 blocks.
I'm lead to believe is was (among the 11 or so) cast by M&A for Brayton Engineering. It is on-center, center mains are 4 bolt (splayed), It has a full starter pad, tall deck, and the very unusual part is the oiling system. Dry sump (so I have purchase a Dutweiler oil system for it), main oil gallery down the center of the lifter galley directly above the cam. It oils straight down through the cam gallery into the mains. etc. etc.

Can be seen here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/80287028aXMUFa

Thanks for any help.

alum, blocks

i had 3 of them brand new come from brayton racing, they told me they only got six of them from buick just before they quit racing buick engines, i know where one is that is fully machined and ready for use, but i dont think its for sale, i have four offcenter and one oncenter blocks so i dont need any more, if m&a cast the blocks that i had the casting was a lot better than the m&a heads that i have out in the garage collecting dust, :) i dont know much as im just a dumb old hillbilly, oc,