Did I just blow a new O2 sensor?

DaveyX87

I installed a new O2 sensor the other day and it seemed to get my O2 numbers back into the normal range at idle (750-800). After doing so, I pulled out the intercooler for a good cleaning, along with the TB and Plenum (I did this thinking it would help the rough idle). I also installed an RJC Power Plate while I was in there. Well I started the car and let it warm up. Now my O2 readings are 0-265. Something went wrong. My idle is higher as well (I need to reset the TPS I think) TPS is at .48 and idle is 1000 rpms. My BLMs are 142. I don't know what happened. I used oxygen sensor safe cleaner on the intercooler and parts. I used a shop vac to suck it dry afterward. Something fouled it up. Frustrating!

dont know who put the shop vac shop vac idea into you head but that could have become a bomb

dont know who put the shop vac shop vac idea into you head but that could have become a bomb

I doubt that. What I did after using O2 safe carb cleaner and swashing it around as to dump it out and let it evaporate. Then I used a garden hose with decent pressure to rinse it out. After that, I hung it upside down overnight. I then hooked up the shop vac to it and let it run for a while to make sure all the water was out. It was a process.

I just use plain ole gasoline to clean my intercooler. I know it's 02 safe.

It sounds like you might have a created a large vacuum leak. That will cause low 02 readings and drive up the BLMs trying to fix it.

You know what? I believe the MAF sensor is the root of my problems. I was messing around tapping on it and my o2 numbers went normal and idle smoothed momentarily.

I can fix you up with a MAF if you need one. Either 3" LT1 or 3.5" LS1. For a deal on a Translator, give Dave Husek a call. He ships pretty quick.

I can fix you up with a MAF if you need one. Either 3" LT1 or 3.5" LS1. For a deal on a Translator, give Dave Husek a call. He ships pretty quick.

Im gonna get the translator shipped out today from a CA vendor (that way I'll get it in 2 days). I plan to get a Delphi MAF LT1 (82mm/3.25") plastic sensor. Should I go with the Delphi or an older style with the metal housing?

Check for a vacuum leak at the dog house. Maybe a stripped bolt.

Check for a vacuum leak at the dog house. Maybe a stripped bolt.

The only vac leak I could find was at the seal that rod that the butterfly is screwed to in the TB. It's right near the TPS adjustment. The leak is very very slight. No other leaks. I've replaced all of the vacuum lines over the past couple weeks. If it aint the MAF then I don't know what else.

Im gonna get the translator shipped out today from a CA vendor (that way I'll get it in 2 days). I plan to get a Delphi MAF LT1 (82mm/3.25") plastic sensor. Should I go with the Delphi or an older style with the metal housing?

In the grand scheme of things it really won't matter. Every choice you have is lightyears ahead of a stock MAF.

If you get an LT1 metal unit it'll work with whatever MAF pipe/filter/cold air kit you have. Stepping up to the larger MAFs will require some adapters and/or larger filters.

On the upside you should see slightly faster spool with the larger units.

I just put in the LT1 MAF sensor and translator. There was very little difference in idle quality. I couldn't get the BLMs down from .42 at idle. I reset the ECU and drove it around. I even tried setting the switch on the translator to rich to bring down BLMs. Fuel pressure seemed normal at idle (31 hose on, and 40 hose off). I just don't know. I can't seem to find any vacuum leaks. I'm gonna make a device to hook to my compressor and try that. It's gotta be vacuum.

Fuel pressure is low. Try it at 43 line off.