Did I do a dumb thing?

wv-t

I decided to install the stock oil fill tube rubber o ring and metal washer on the inside of the valve cover. Felt real tight and looked like a good seal. I did have to shave the thickness of the gasket with a razor blade, though. Anyway, now I am wondering if the hot oil splashing all over the inside of the valve cover will rapidly degrade the rubber o ring and the little bit of silicon I used? Did I make a mistake? As always thanks for enduring my inane and banal questions.

Are you talking about stock valve covers and filler?? Nothing goes on the inside of the valve cover. the steel ring and flat (not o-ring) washer fit on the end of the filler tube. That's all.
The flat washer goes on first, then the flat rubber washer last so it touches the valve cover.

Yeah, ring inside, too. Made a great seal that way, and looked nice from the outside, too. We'll see if the rubber falls apart in there. I'll check it in the Spring. Am I nuts?

Yeah, ring inside, too. Made a great seal that way, and looked nice from the outside, too. We'll see if the rubber falls apart in there. I'll check it in the Spring. Am I nuts?

Umm, yes. There's a REALLY good reason that stuff should NOT be on the inside, and if you leave it there, you will come to regret it!!

Glad I posted on here. Will pull the VC and redo. You guys probably saved me from a catastrophe.