Did Buick lease out Turbo Buicks when they were new?

Sinical

Trying to settle a dispute with someone about leasing being an option when our cars were new. Specifically Grand Nationals.

Trying to settle a dispute with someone about leasing being an option when our cars were new. Specifically Grand Nationals.

Yes. I got my 86 with a lease. It's the only way I could fit the payments into the budget back then. I got raped on that deal when it came to the end of the lease and I wanted to buy the car. :mad: Still got that car. :biggrin:

I have a sales brochour from 86 that states you could talk to your dealer about buying or leaseing your new Buick

My 87 GN was not only leased, but it was leased by a large company in Missouri!! Maybe the President of the company wanted a FAST company car. The reason I know this is it's actually on my RPO code label in the trunk!! Hows that for a rare option...........:eek:

Ken

My 87 GN was not only leased, but it was leased by a large company in Missouri!! Maybe the President of the company wanted a FAST company car. The reason I know this is it's actually on my RPO code label in the trunk!! Hows that for a rare option...........:eek:

Ken

Was leasing as popular back then as it is now? I mean, I know the answer, but I just never heard about leasing when I was a kid.

Was leasing as popular back then as it is now? I mean, I know the answer, but I just never heard about leasing when I was a kid.
Considering how irresponsible this country is with their money these days I would think leasing is more popular then ever....:rolleyes: All people see is a lower monthy payment.

Ken

And just what exactly is this mystery RPO code that you have on your SPID label? Post a pic to prove it please. Thank You

As far as I know there wasn't any secret codes denoting fleet or corporation spec cars....as far as Turbo Buicks go. Those codes were common place mostly on trucks back in the 70's and 80's. They are common place now because back in the 90's GM used to own a share in the major rental car companies. For example National,Enterprise and Alamo. Ford had Hertz and Chrysler had Dollar and Thrifty.

I sold parts for GM for 30 years. One way to pad your paycheck was to snag all of the big fleets in your area. I had the small rental car fleets in Omaha back in the 80's. Plenty of NA Regals and of course MonteCarlo and Cutlass. Never saw a Turbo Regal (or MCSS or 442) rental car.Rental car equates to cheap. Aint no way a agency was going to put a grenade like a GN or any other TR in the hands of Joe Schmuck. Back than nobody figured out that you could jack up the rate to cover your losses encured from the down time of these grenades like today with Hertz's Fun Club Shelbys and Corvettes.

While I couldn't afford to buy a new GN I was fortunate that I didn't have to lease my GN. I just waited for a low mileage trade in to drop in my lap.:cool:

Considering how irresponsible this country is with their money these days I would think leasing is more popular then ever....:rolleyes: All people see is a lower monthy payment.
I'm actually incouraging my son to lease a car. He lives 1 1/2 hours away. His car is 11 years old and is starting to nickle and dime him while I'm stuck fixing it while he takes my car back to his place. He has hardly any tools and low mechanical skills and no place to work on it anyway. He doesn't trust any mechanics there and neither do I since I don't know them. I would rather see him pay alittle more and get a nice car on a lease. He can use it without having to do anything but basic maintainence. It would also be tough for me to get the car back here is it craps out. I just see it as the best way for him to get reliablity and me relief from being his personal mechanic.

I'm actually incouraging my son to lease a car. He lives 1 1/2 hours away. His car is 11 years old and is starting to nickle and dime him while I'm stuck fixing it while he takes my car back to his place. He has hardly any tools and low mechanical skills and no place to work on it anyway. He doesn't trust any mechanics there and neither do I since I don't know them. I would rather see him pay alittle more and get a nice car on a lease. He can use it without having to do anything but basic maintainence. It would also be tough for me to get the car back here is it craps out. I just see it as the best way for him to get reliablity and me relief from being his personal mechanic.
I can see it working as long as the mileage stays low. It seems that most people seem to exceed their mileage and then they stick it up ur azz when the lease is up and then nickel and dime you for every scratch.

I leased all my cars back in the 80's and did very well on them. The payments were lower no large down payment, you saved that for the end of the lease. I managed to sell everyone of my leased vehicles for more then the residual before the lease expired.
The lease payment was deductible as a salesman, as were operating expenses. If I wanted to buy the car at the end of lease I was using money that was worth less then 5 years earlier, thanks to inflation. I also picked nice cars that held a high resale value.
Early on the mileage allowed was much higher then in the 90s. You could drive 15 to 20k a year.
Banks got away from leases for a reason, they did better on outright sales.

I can see it working as long as the mileage stays low. It seems that most people seem to exceed their mileage and then they stick it up ur azz when the lease is up and then nickel and dime you for every scratch.

My wife leases here Outback. She also hates the idea of having to go for repairs. She drives about 8k miles a year. She's never been hit with the fix it up charges even though one of them had a good sized ding in the drivers door we got one week after got the car. She's on her 5th lease. She got a letter last summer about a sale they were having. They took her 2 year old Outback with 1.5 years to go back and she got '08 for $9 more a month, same term. The main reason she turned it in was she didn't like the color too much. The new Outback has a little more power and gets better mileage too.

And just what exactly is this mystery RPO code that you have on your SPID label? Post a pic to prove it please. Thank You

As far as I know there wasn't any secret codes denoting fleet or corporation spec cars....as far as Turbo Buicks go. Those codes were common place mostly on trucks back in the 70's and 80's. They are common place now because back in the 90's GM used to own a share in the major rental car companies. For example National,Enterprise and Alamo. Ford had Hertz and Chrysler had Dollar and Thrifty.

Eric, my car (87 Turbo regal) has a fleet car code VQ1( FLEET ASSISTANCE PACKAGE).....

Attachments

• 0414091338a.jpg
    0414091338a.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 299
My car was leased through GMAC by someone for three years then I bought it from the leasing dealership for $7,999.00 with new Eagle GT tires and a new factory replacement tubo with adjustable wastegate actuator. I guess that makes me the original owner.

Eric, my car (87 Turbo regal) has a fleet car code VQ1( FLEET ASSISTANCE PACKAGE).....
You should add this to kirbans trunk label thread hes been lookin for low optioned cars less than 52 codes i think and he can decipher it for you too :cool:

I leased my 86 when it was new, for three years. At the end of the lease, I bought it for $7850 from the leasing company.

I'd pay double that today for a 24,000 mile, 3 year old GN....

The sticker price was around $17k for the new 86. I had probably one of the first 86 GN's available. I remember the insurance company sending a firm to check out my car, who took pictures of the seats. Apparently, they had insured an 86 GN that was stolen and stripped, and they couldn't get the interior parts, so they had to fabricate interior seats to match the OEM "turbo six" embroidery.