Did a tune up, engine still has a little shake

JB83T

Hey, Yesterday I finally got around to giving my 83 I just bought a small tune up. It was missing bad. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, air filter and fuel filter. The plugs were in really bad shape. At 95k they looked like they had never been replaced. The engine ran alot better but still has a shake to it like a vacuum leak somewhere. I visually inspected all the hoses and can't find anything. I sprayed some carb cleaner down the carb and that helped it rev better. I am thinking it either needs a carb rebuild or maybe something in the EGR system. I might do a compression test when I have time. I was wondering if anyone on here took some of the emissions stuff off? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I use a 1/4" hose and a small funnel at the end to listen for vac leaks. Just move the hose around all the hoses and intake. Theirs use soapy water or porpane.

1. vac leaks
2. leaking EGR or pluged PCV
3. Carb out of abjustment
4. Leaking head gasket
5. Timing chain worn and/or cam lobes worn
6. Coolant sensor broken (check this first) it's right by the distributor. it sends a signal to the ECM for A/F,Timing

The 3.8 does have alittle shake to them at idle being that they are an unbalaced V6.

I replaced the PCV valve and that seemed to help it a lot. It was barely rattling. No wonder they hardly get replaced on these cars. It was hard to get my big hand back there. I feel foolish, but it took me a good half hour to find the thing with out a repair manual handy. :) I also visually inspected the vac lines and a few were cracked and leaking. I haven't replaced them yet but I repaired what I could by cutting the ends off some of them where they were cracked. The engine is coated with oil in some places. I am going to degrease it and find out where it has a leak. I did find some small pin size holes in the oil pan where it had been hit before and rusted through. I fixed them with that instant epoxy stuff that you mix by rolling in your fingers. I didn't think it would work but it did. A new oil pan will be in the future maybe.

Well good luck with her and let me know what you come up with.