Dan Smith Lying Crook!

nailheadpowered

Dan Smith posted a turbo on here at the end of last year and He assured me it was in perfectly good like new condition, even after i got it i contacted him to question it and again its perfectly good. well i finally got it on my car and put maybe 3-400 miles on it and it went bad, emailed him to work it out and his response, I knew i shouldn't have sold that turbo! what a dirt bag he knew it was bad. he lives in st. charles MO. he won't answer anymore emails about this hope his car falls on him when he's under it!:mad: DO NOT BUY FROM THIS PIECE OF CRAP.

sorry to hear this. I had met him a couple times and he was really nice guy to talk to. I honestly don't think the bad turbo was intentional or that he knew it was on the brink. but I feel your pain, I'd be ticked too. I think its pretty safe to say he's completely out of the turbobuick scene.

You can't call someone a crook when you buy a used part & 300-400 miles it goes bad!

If it seem to work good in the beginning,then he sold you a known good used part,he can't predict the future how long a used part will last

If a turbo is bad you're going to know by how much shaft play there is before you install it what you can expect,& if later down the road(3-400miles) it begins to smoke,then a seal went south(which nobody can predict when)

I've sold alot of used parts on this board,but can't warranty any of them-unless right from the get go its defective

If you're calling him a crook because he doesn't answer your emails,then that is the incorrect name to call him-
Maybe your approach to him needs to be alittle more gentle for a response w/a solution

Good luck & I hope you work things out

first off tbirdv6 when i bought this turbo i repeatly asked if this turbo had alot of use or not and was told it was basically brand new by Dan and had been sitting on a shelf for a bit but was basically ready to run and I asked for pics etc. when i recieved it, it had some play side to side very little but was told from him that it was normal so after finishing my other things on my car i bolted the turbo on drove it a few times and the compressor shaft went into the housing etc. the crook part comes in as i emailed him asking him to partially refund me for the rebuild I did not ask for a refund just a 1/3 rd refund to help with the rebuild as the turbo was misrepresesnted, By the way this thread was started after repeated attempts to work this out with no response except for the one and only repsonse he sent me stating I KNEW I SHOULD NOT HAVE SOLD THAT TURBO! So with a comment like that what the hell am i suppose to think and with no other communications? Point blank this board is getting overloaded with sellers who are obviously young and can barely afford these cars and have lately been selling of junk parts as good almost new etc. and alot of board members are getting burned which is a shame. By the way i have sold plenty of items on here including complete drivetrains and shipped all over the country without any issues becuase i tell them exactly what they are getting as im sure tbirdv6 and others do. And if there was a problem my first question would be do you want a refund or what? that is proper business as im self employed and unlike some of these others on here who want the quick buck today you can only burn so many people so many times before no one will deal with you.

I have already had the turbo redone/replaced and for the most part only buy new items and leave the used stuff to the gamblers. good luck.

Dan Smith isnt young. He was a regular on GNTTYPE for years.

Did you replace your oil feed line when you installed the new turbo? Does your car have good oil pressure?

Dan is AOK in my book, ive purchased parts from him years ago and also met him in BG years back... I believe he was also one of the guys installing heavy duty drivers in the ECM awhile back.

What happened to your old turbo? Same issue?

BW

just to please ya oil feed and return lines new stainless lines from vendor old turbo was a t-66 that was perfect and sold it to a friend local who still has it on his car with my chip and front mount with no issues as is my oil pressure solid. Im sure he has many friends out there but i don't know him and when this happened i tried sending multiple emails explaining the problem and a resolve, this board is supposed to be for putting out info about issues good or bad I don't have an issue with some of you saying he is a good guy but if he is then why has he not contacted me himself? until then say what you want but as far as im concerned i got screwed hard and dry! thread over!

I dont mean to get into this, but this is the problems with buying a used turbo. I'll quote Chopper at Limit.. if any debris goes through the turbo(oil) and sticks to the shaft.. it throws it off balance.. a few months latter.. boooom.. there goes the turbo. This is why turbo's from cars that have taken out head gaskets, spun rods, etc.. with debris in oil.. bite the bullet.

Doesnt matter if it had no shaft play..

Hope this helps those in the future. Similar to buying a used torque converter.. if metal went through it.. you put it on a new tranny.. the new tranny will be toast.

buyer beware

Gee, havn't posted here in years. I don't really care to now, but here goes..

This is a cut and paste from a email I recieved last december asking me for a $750.00 refund for a turbo I sold:

Daniel this is mike in los angeles i bought your pt-72 turbo from you, Well we have an issue i finally put the turbo on my car and drove it 3 times and now the turbo doesn't spool and the turbine impeller wobbles around which you stated this was basically a new turbo, we need to work something out or you refund my money and ill send you back your turbo let me know thanks and sorry on christmas eve to send this but as you can understand im not very happy.

This was my reply:

Mike,
That sure doesn't sound good! As you could tell from the pictures and from looking at the turbo up close, the turbo is a low mile turbo. I knew I should not have sold it in the first place, since things like this always seem to mysteriously happen. Did you feel how tight it was when you got it? And now it's wobbling? That <was> a low mile turbo. I did not misrepresent it at all. I never had it apart and it had sat for years just as I stated. It sounds like the bushings are gone.
Sorry to take so long to reply, but I haven't checked my email in weeks. Not sure what to tell you.

michael rader <nailheadpoweredgs@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Another email cut and paste April 6, 07

Dan,
that turbo you sold me was junk i had it checked as i told you and the shaft was worn out and the oil seal is on its way out also, I find it fair that you either refund me my money and take back your turbo as i only put maybe 500 miles on it and that was only street miles. or refund me part of my purchase. let me know before i make this public on the boards as you knew this turbo was bad!

That turbo was good when I shipped it. The before and after pics show it well. I do still have the pictures I took before I shipped it. I stopped replying, since you started showing your ass. To quote.. that turbo was bad and you knew it?? That's not why I regret selling it to you.. it's because no one can tell exactly what happened to it. Since it sat so long in the garage, maybe it should have been dissasembled and cleaned/checked. The new oil lines might have had debris in them too.
BTW, I havn't checked my email lately. sorry to take so long to reply. Not real big on the internet these days. How do you post pics here? I forgot.