D5 convertor

The '82 GN/SC's have 350Cs and 3.08 open rears. I already have a 3.08 limited slip for one. The other will get a 3.42 or 3.23.

I plan to put a 3.73 limited slip under the '83. Then I will either put the 3.42 in the '82 and add a eaton (or whatever). Or if I find a 3.42/3.23 with a factory limited slip first, I'll get that.

Chevy Ralleye's? The five slots with the trim ring and hub cap? Thet're nice, but there Chevy. :p

I want
15x7 Buick Chrome Ralleye (already have)
Centerline Auto Drags
Buick Turbine (30 rib, 14x7)
'82/85 Buick Full-size aluminun wheels (15x7)
and I thinking of trying the 15x8 80/81 Turbo TA wheels.

There's some nice aftermarket wheels, but I'm too cheap to buy them new.

Originally posted by b4black
Chevy Ralleye's? The five slots with the trim ring and hub cap? Thet're nice, but there Chevy. :p

I want
15x7 Buick Chrome Ralleye (already have)
Centerline Auto Drags
Buick Turbine (30 rib, 14x7)
'82/85 Buick Full-size aluminun wheels (15x7)
and I thinking of trying the 15x8 80/81 Turbo TA wheels.

There's some nice aftermarket wheels, but I'm too cheap to buy them new.
I know it's chebby, I've also been looking at the GN rims....I'm to cheap also to drop the money on new rims. I think that most are WAY over priced IMHO

OK back the the TC thing.
I having the trans replaced with a PTS one and now I most decide on the TC. Should I stick with a stock D5 or have the D5 loosed up for more stall or just go with a 911 TC from PTS. I'm leaning to the 911 so that when I do get to the track it will help with the 60' times, but then again The D5 has a very good track recorded. :confused:
Rebuilting the D5 is around $295 out right, less with exchange
A 911 is around $400
Thanks
Jim

Originally posted by Ttype83

I'm to cheap also to drop the money on new rims. I think that most are WAY over priced IMHO

I having the trans replaced with a PTS one and now I most decide on the TC.

So your to cheap to buy new rims but not to cheap to buy a $2,000 transmission:confused: :confused:

That's funny:D I'm to cheap to buy a PTS trans. but not to cheap to buy new rims, lol.
Rims are almost always the FIRST thing I buy when I build a car.
Rims & stance are very important to personallize your ride IMO.
I've bought Centerlines before I even had a motor in one car.
To me, rims are motivation to keep things alive on a project.
It's hard to look at shiney new rims on your badd ass ride & not
be super motivated to drive it/get it back on the road.
Diff. strokes for diff. folks:D :cool: ;)

Some people work from the outside-to-inside, some work inside-to-outside. :)

Originally posted by Turbo-Rich

So your to cheap to buy new rims but not to cheap to buy a $2,000 transmission:confused: :confused:

That's funny:D I'm to cheap to buy a PTS trans. but not to cheap to buy new rims, lol.
It's hard to look at shiney new rims on your badd ass ride & not
be super motivated to drive it/get it back on the road.
Diff. strokes for diff. folks:D :cool: ;)
LOL...It's a old habit that I never got rid of.
When I was younger I would find rusted camaro's dirt cheap and drop a built SBC or a BBC, (5-6G's)with a muchie rock 4 sp.
I would go down to telegraph & 5mile(Michigan) and race the rich kids with their shiney new paint jobs and new rims for $100 a gear $100 to win.
What would you think of a rusted out, header leaking, cherry bomb muffler car sitting beside you at I light. ;)
Yes I build form the inside out :p
OK now what TC should I get?

LOL...It's a old habit that I never got rid of.
When I was younger I would find rusted camaro's dirt cheap and drop a built SBC or a BBC, (5-6G's)with a muchie rock 4 sp.
I would go down to telegraph & 5mile(Michigan) and race the rich kids with their shiney new paint jobs and new rims for $100 a gear $100 to win.
What would you think of a rusted out, header leaking, cherry bomb muffler car sitting beside you at I light. ;)
Yes I build form the inside out :p

Funny all the diff. ways & philosophies to go fast isn't it.
Everyone knows the only way to make $$$ on the street is "sandbag". If your car looks fast, hardly no-one will race you, especially for cash. Hell, it's hard enough to get ppl to race at all. I've heard a million excuses, even "I don't have the gas" WTF?¿?The last car I raced I took the buckets out & installed a bench seat (that really ticked ppl off.) reinstalled all the body chrome & anything else I could do to make it look like a "stock Malibu". You'd of never guessed it weighed just under 3,200 & would DIAL low 12's all day long (Tonya can verify, shes been there) & I had less than $2,000 in it, lol. I've built faster but none with any timeslips to prove it.
The only new paint I've EVER had on any of my vehicles I put there myself. I'm not real big on "pretty" cars but I do hate rust, tho primer is just fine.
Rims are the most expensive thing I've ever bought for any of my cars(including eng/trans/or even supercharger). Most of the really good go fast parts are in the j/y anyway.
I wouldn't say I build things "from the outside in", I just like how much a nice set of wheels can make car look badd ass.
It's all how you prefer to go about things. The last thing I personally want to do is put a butt load of $$$ in a motor just to go blow it up. I mean, if you use it for what it's intended for, eventually you'll hurt something. I'd rather blow up my j/y mill & have good laugh while I'm installing the next $350 sacraficial lamb. Besides, nothion' feels better than blowin' away some idiot who thinks that "money=horsepower".
My intentions are always to build fast CARS & not fast motors.
I believe I'm doing things right when if I did blow my motor I could replace it with a stock j/y mill & still be competitive.
That's not to say I never wanter a big 'ole 427, I just believe it's not necessary=gross overkill.

Funny all the diff. ways & philosophies to go fast isn't it.
Everyone knows the only way to make $$$ on the street is "sandbag". If your car looks fast, hardly no-one will race you, especially for cash.
reinstalled all the body chrome & anything else I could do to make it look like a "stock Malibu". You'd of never guessed it weighed just under 3,200 & would DIAL low 12's all day long & I had less than $2,000 in it, lol. Rims are the most expensive thing Most of the really good go fast parts are in the j/y anyway.
I wouldn't say I build things "from the outside in", I just like how much a nice set of wheels can make car look badd ass.
The last thing I personally want to do is put a butt load of $$$ in a motor just to go blow it up. I'd rather blow up my j/y mill & have good laugh while I'm installing the next $350 sacraficial lamb. Besides, nothion' feels better than blowin' away some idiot who thinks that "money=horsepower".
That's not to say I never wanter a big 'ole 427, I just believe it's not necessary=gross overkill.
Yes nothing is better than the old sleeper :D
I used that same comb in 5 cars (396 B & B, muncie, posi 513 gears, MT cheater slicks=lots of these) I only could hear the radio at a light (that was with a 40 watt amp) Wish I had taken it to the track for some slips. I only lossed once....darn 427....
I started out with juck yard parts/combs. I had I friend's dad that had a great shop that he let us use and store parts at. We did some nutty set ups just to see if it would work. Drop a 289 in a old capri with a mustang rear end. I could sit up right under the gas tank, no brakes thou. Great field car, untill we hit his bothers bike pulling back in the shop(sold to pay for damage). Another time we drop a 383 into a 67 mustang, we thought it was funny (Ford=F**ked Over Rebuilt Dodge)

GOOD COMBO

Yes nothing is better than the old sleeper :D
I used that same comb in 5 cars (396 B & B, muncie, posi 513 gears, MT cheater slicks=lots of these) I only could hear the radio at a light (that was with a 40 watt amp) Wish I had taken it to the track for some slips. I only lossed once....darn 427....

I'll bet no one saw that coming?!
Damn that takes me back Jim.
We've built pretty close to the same combo's before except I never bothered w/a Big Block (too poor:( ). I was a really HUGE s.b. fan back then. I'd still like to build a 10,000 rpm 302 Chev.:p
I never bothered w/stereos either as long as I could find a factory radio delete plate. I had 4:56's in my Malibu &
I had a 5:13 for my '69 LeMans I got from my friends '67 Chevelle & a 5:57 for my 'ole '68 Camero RS. The Camero had a small journal 327/steel crank/camel humps/dual point connected to a Muncie w/ all the syncros removed (CRASH BOX ) , a 12" bus clutch, an inline "gate" shifter & the 5:57. The car had Ralleys(chev) all the way around (yuk!) & I took a set of M&H slicks & "groved" them w/ my stock car buddies tire tool. Before the slicks I would just use dirt track tires soaked in VHT. The car was green when I bought it with all black interrior & black vinyl top. So of~course I had to paint the whole thing black, 6 coats no clear. I eventually removed the 327 & put in a 350 smog motor & rebuilt (w/help from a good friend) a GMC 6:71 supercharger w/two Holley 660's & 1/2" fuel line & BOY was that wild!:eek: It was WAY too much for the car tho. It was WAY too much HP period! It was tearring everything apart, it even split both sides of the frame. So I sold it while it was still worth something (w/out blower, muncie, 5:57) & went looking for something better suited for the blower. I wanted something big~n~solid but I ended up w/a '78 Z28 but that's a whole nuther story:)
How you think a 5:13 would be in our '83s?
Probabley deminish lag time~eh, lol.
You should do it Jim:)
A 5:13 would go sweet w/yopur new badd ass trans! hehehe
Oh, btw,
the only time I was beaten in my Malibu was by a 427 also:mad: :( :mad:
That was before I had the 4:56 in the rear end (2:48 gross) & the M&H's tho.
Needless to say the guy wouldn't race me again:D

We did some nutty set ups just to see if it would work. Drop a 289 in a old capri with a mustang rear end. I could sit up right under the gas tank, no brakes thou. Great field car, untill we hit his bothers bike pulling back in the shop(sold to pay for damage). Another time we drop a 383 into a 67 mustang, we thought it was funny (Ford=F**ked Over Rebuilt Dodge)

LMAO @ F O R D:D
One guy I used to know had a 80's T-bird w/a BBChev. in it & had "Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff" on the rear.
Pretty funny.
I remember seeing a black '69 Camero Outlaw Streetcar back in the 80's also that had "Correct Direction" instead of, of course Direct Connection, across the rear spoiler. That was pretty funny too!
I also like "JESUS CHRYSLER", lol:D

I've had a hand in a few "nutty" ride too :)
My friend bought a '79 Mustang:rolleyes: for $75 & we put a j/y 460/C6 in it for about $300 for the headers & mounts. Even w/the gear he had less than $1,000 in the whole thing.

Ok, not a "feild car" but those were what we usually drove around everyday. I grew up next to the river bottoms where everyone would go to mud bog & play w/thier dune buggies.
Hard to believe some of the monstrousities ppl will put together.

The big block was the only that I ever had rebuilt. I used SBC's 350's mainly. 2 327's...man did I like that engine and 1 DZ302 in a 69 Z28. I got a GREAT deal on that one, $2000 and it was mint with only 25k miles are so. The tow bar broke on the way home and it round/tumbled down a very large hill. There was not one body part that was useable. I cried.....

I'm going to stick to the stock gears, it's my work car and I drive 21 miles to work. As you know the 513 gears would run very high on the rpm's even with O/D. I use to do some pretty wild wheel stands with it. If I could have gotten away with running wheel bars I would have, I scraped the bumper a couple of times. That really scared the crap out of me.
I sold that combo after almost ripping the rear out one night. I run across that 427 again, but was not ready to race(full tank of gas & 3 other people in the car) When I side stepped second the rear hit the quarter as it started to rip out.
I'am so luckly to have lived through my teens, I can not believe all the STUPID stuff I did and thought was cool :rolleyes:

DZ302 in a 69 Z28. I got a GREAT deal on that one, $2000 and it was mint with only 25k miles are so. The tow bar broke on the way home and it round/tumbled down a very large hill. There was not one body part that was useable. I cried.....

Man:(
At first when I read you had a DZ302 I was like "YOU BASTARD:D "!
Even before I saw it was in a '69.... & for $2,000.
But now I think I'll have a good cry too:( :(

Jeeese,
You might as well just go ahead & tell me the story of how your first dog died when you were a boy:p

What was the "turn around" time on getting your stock convertor rebuilt anyway? Did you happen to ask?
I'm not familiar with "loosining" a convertor.
Can they basically make it stall at whatever rpm you desire:confused:

I'm going to stick to the stock gears, it's my work car and I drive 21 miles to work. As you know the 513 gears would run very high on the rpm's even with O/D.

I know, Iz just messin' w/ya:D :) ;)

3:43 otta be a pretty good street gear especially being a turbo car.

What was the "turn around" time on getting your stock convertor rebuilt anyway? Did you happen to ask?
I have not asked about the turn around time yet, I will when I call back to price some other work.

Yes you can have a stock TC's stall speed changed :)

Jeeese,
You might as well just go ahead & tell me the story of how your first dog died when you were a boy:p
I was 17 and the poodle was 14 and it was....Oh wait you were just messin with me again :p

The turn around time is 0...they have D5's stalling at 2800rpm on the shelf. :)