D5 convertor

Turbo-Rich

ALBATROSS
Can our carb/turbo cars that came with the 200 4R use the newer D5 convertor? I know the trans. are mostly identical except for the valve body but I don't believe the stall is as high on ours:confused: I heard the stock D5's were good for 2,200 stahl.
That's be pretty sweet if so since I see so many of them going for $40-$60 here used.

The '83 may already have a D5. I know it has a higher stall than a 2004R behind a 4.1 NA.

When I had my '82's 350C rebuilt, I asked about a higher stall TC. The highest stock style convertor listed was a 1996. That's what I got. I just found out that the D5 is also a 1996. (This is the factory stall number. It's different than the stall number poeple quote as "brake stall". )

Maybe you could pull the inspection plate and see if there are any markings on the TC. Or maybe a trans shop would know what the stock stall is. I can't tell from the parts book.

Originally posted by b4black
The '83 may already have a D5. I know it has a higher stall than a 2004R behind a 4.1 NA.

Cool:cool:
The I.C. guys are probabley getting more stall out of 'em because they are making more torque than we are.

Thanx!

Hey Turbo-Rich ... You beat me to the question.
I have been wondering the same thing. I saw that JCotton has some TC on sale, been thinking about it.

Whats the verdict guys?

Can the later TC deliver more torque? Turbo Rich you mentioned 2200 stall, I vaguely understand Rich's quote 1996. Is that a stock number or it's stock stall? :confused:

Originally posted by Freddie's Buick
Turbo Rich you mentioned 2200 stall,

I read that in a discussion in the "General Tech" forum.
I don't know if it's true or not:confused:

I know my '83s don't stall that high. How many rpm's can you all hold it too? Ours only get about 1,600 or so.

You made me go check, 1,800rpm's @ 0-1 boost
It's 35 degrees out right now so the tires are cold.
I have held it to 3 psi of boost before in warmer temps ( I think it was 2,000 rpm's)
Now I have it go clean the concret before the wife see's the mark :eek:

Originally posted by Ttype83
Now I have it go clean the concret before the wife see's the mark :eek:

LOL!
(on an unrelated note.............how's it going Jim? Are you guys getting settle into the new house? Do you like the area you are living in? We are all doing well. This is my 3rd week back to work. Turbo-Rich should be called "Sleepless-Rich")

Originally posted by Tonya83T

LOL!
(on an unrelated note.............how's it going Jim? Are you guys getting settle into the new house? Do you like the area you are living in? We are all doing well. This is my 3rd week back to work. Turbo-Rich should be called "Sleepless-Rich")
Yes we are getting settle in, wife's painting and setting everything up. I get to do the painting up on the top(Darn tall ceilings).
We love the area, most people are very friendly. Good school system, they even walk the younger ones to your car an but them in. My son does like it when I pick him up in my car, I think he's embarest,hehehe. I make it a point now to use my car even if I have to move the wife's SUV. After all what are parents for :D

Turbo-Rich

I hold the brake then I floor it for about 5 secounds. RPM gauge reads 1900. That's the absolute highest on this THM-350C. It does'nt matter anyway......let go of the brake and the car crawls its way up to speed. She never peels. Only way she peels/spin is if one spreads sand under the rear tires. My mother's '84 Regal is the same.

Hopefully, after the rebuild there will be some torque and a little 'burn rubber'. That is why I'm asking about stock TC's. While the motor is ripped I'd like to up it a notch. Kenne Bell's TC for the N/A 350C's offer a 2500 stall. $299.00 will get you there. But if the later stock ones have a 2200 stall......and goes for about $70.00 at a local bone-yard, .....well, you get the picture....:rolleyes:

She never peels. Only way she peels/spin is if one spreads sand under the rear tires.

I know
:rolleyes:
Re-route your windshield wiper lines to squirt bleach from inside the rear fenderwell shooting the front side of the rear tire.
That should get 'em goin':D & the bleach will make a nice lusterous cloud of smoke too.
If that STILL isn't enough for a good smoke show you could use lubricant insread of bleach.
Best part is, only you would have to know;)
My buddy used to do this but he'd put VHT track bite in the resivour. I played around with this idea a little too when I was a teenager. I routed the fluid line to underneath the dash then filled the resivour with my good 'ol friend Jim Beam:) :D
Viola~no more of those damn illegal transportation/underage drinking tickets:eek:
The bartender was always only a button away:D

Originally posted by Turbo-Rich

I read that in a discussion in the "General Tech" forum.
I don't know if it's true or not:confused:

I know my '83s don't stall that high. How many rpm's can you all hold it too? Ours only get about 1,600 or so.

Well, I'm not sure about the black T yet. The Jury's still out I guess since it hasn't been right since I bough it with the cracked header & all. I don't have a tach hooked up yet either.
It's WELL on it's way tho, only waiting on some parts to come in now. God I hate waiting:(
The other T seems to only stall to about 1,6-1,700 tho.
The guy we bought it from had the trans. rebuilt & now i am wondering if someone nabbed the TC. The trans. does has one MEAN:mad: shift kit installed. That's a lotta fun:)
If you can call whiplash fun anyway;)

Cool:cool:
The I.C. guys are probabley getting more stall out of 'em because they are making more torque than we are.

Thanx!
I found this on JCotton's parts shop.
TR101
Precision Industries 9.5" Lock up Torque Converter
Stalls at 2600 with Zero boost. Will go to 3300-3500 under boost
So this would lead me to beleive more boost, more Torque stall.
Jim

:rolleyes:
Re-route your windshield wiper lines to squirt bleach from inside the rear fenderwell shooting the front side of the rear tire.
That should get 'em goin':D & the bleach will make a nice lusterous cloud of smoke too.

Not getting much sleep now-a-days huh Turbo-Rich? Reminicing about the days were you did'nt have to get up in the middle of the night several times? So this was a flash-back huh?:D

Not getting much sleep now-a-days huh Turbo-Rich? Reminicing about the days were you did'nt have to get up in the middle of the night several times? So this was a flash-back huh?:D
LMAO......I went thru that 3 times......now I think that was easier than triing to get them to stop fighting/argueing...she did it...No he did..repeat until your head spins.

how about a D4?

MY 84 regal as the 4.1 with a 200r4 and stamped on the convertor is D4, whats the stall on this anyone know?, any other differences between this and a D5?

FLASHBACK:confused: I've been waiting for one of those :D
I mean, ya take a couple years off to follow the Greatful Dead,
kick back & have some fun for a while & you'd think I'd at least have a flashback or two to show for it;) .

Or is THIS what one feels like???

As for sleep???
Awww, sweet sleep......
My 'ole friend, lol.
Actually there's no getting up in the middle of the night for me.
That's Tonya's department:D
I work at night & have most of my life.
Day=BADD:mad:
I get my turn with the 'lil grease munkey all day while Tonya's at work. Lucky me (sarcasm), he's on Mommy's schedule & stays up all day with me & sleeps all night w/her. I'm used to running on only 4hrs. of sleep normally but I gotta tell ya, 4hrs. of good sleep would sure be nice right now. I've only had 3hrs. of sleep since Thurs. afternoon :eek: & that wasn't all at once.
The good thing is that if you stay up long enough you do get a good buzz, lol. Something about endorphines being released in the brain or something. I don't know how it works, I just know it's a nice suprise when it happens. It usually takes about 3 days before things start getting really interresting:p .
The bad thing is that it's getting really hard to find time to work on the car. All the work I get to do now is limitede to 1/2 hr.- hour sessions, hard to get anything finished. It's getting there tho, bit by bit.

Jim, I don't know how you handled/handle 3 children
:confused:
I can't imagine that.
You either have to be really tough or really patent, I don't know witch. Maybe a 'lil of both. I'm in
NO hurry to have any more, that's for sure.
What I really can't imagine is how most of our grandparents generation dealt with raising like 8-12 kids:confused: No wonder they are so freaked out all the time, lol.

Can the later TC deliver more torque? Turbo Rich you mentioned 2200 stall, I vaguely understand Rich's quote 1996. Is that a stock number or it's stock stall? :confused:

The are several different defintions of stall. There is brake stall which most people quote, by holding the brake and seeing what RPM's the engine "stalls" at. There is flash stall, where the brake is disengaged and the car doesn't move until it hits a certain RPM. Both are variable depending on the engine combo (in other words, the same TC will stall at different RPMs on different cars).

Then there is the number in the parts book. I don't know it's official name. I got a 1996 for my '82 GN because that was the highest listed for the year from GM. It turns out the the D5 in the SFI/TRs is also a 1996. A D5 will brake stall much higher than 1996 RPMs. I will be able to check mine once springtime washes the salt off the roads. I know I can hold 4 psi.

I could roast my tire by lauching with 0 psi. :) I need a limited-slip.

FLASHBACK:confused: I've been waiting for one of those :D
I mean, ya take a couple years off to follow the Greatful Dead,
kick back & have some fun for a while & you'd think I'd at least have a flashback or two to show for it;) .

Jim, I don't know how you handled/handle 3 children
:confused:
I can't imagine that.
You either have to be really tough or really patent, I don't know witch. Maybe a 'lil of both.
What I really can't imagine is how most of our grandparents generation dealt with raising like 8-12 kids:confused: No wonder they are so freaked out all the time, lol.
Hey Another DeadHead :cool: Flashbacks...I could use one about now ;)

As for the kids..they are spread out 14(almost 15), 9, 5 and Yes I use both tecs...tough about how they treat each other and patent with school, homework, driving lessons(I show her how to do a brake toque in the trunk, MAN did the wife get MAD)
I could not even imagine triing to keep up with any more than 3. I do need to stop spoiling them...their rooms look like Toys-R-Us(No lie) We have toys in their rooms, in the basement and in the garage.

Originally posted by b4black
I know I can hold 4 psi.

I could roast my tire by lauching with 0 psi. :) I need a limited-slip.
What does your 82 have??

Yes when I had the 15's on I could hold 3-4, but with the 14's back on only 0 psi :(

I lauched hard (5 psi) once in a empty parking lot (blacktop) and roasted both tires for a good 100' before letting off (end of parking lot) I saaaw some old rally rims on a 64 Nova tonight that I like. Do you remember those, I think they first come out in the late 50's and run thru the early 70's.