D$#@ Header.....

NOTSOFAST

well the Driver side header took a Dump on me tonight. :eek: Lucky for the C5 Corvette cause I was about to blow by him. we were getting on the on ramp when he saw me coming up beside him. :biggrin: he hit it & I was right on his arse, when BANG! :eek: what the hell.....:mad: I slow down & here this rumbling sound right under the floorboard. I pull over open the hood & can see the hole on the inside -> towards motor on header, a Gap...:eek: so I have stepson bring me my SRT8 Jeep & take GN back home as I was on way to work. :biggrin: so I guess I know what I will be doing on Sunday. to Bad Poston's is no longer in Business as they are their headers....:rolleyes:

Sucks! Think it can be welded?
How much do you like that jeep? Any issues with it?

J"
Why don't you just buy one? I think you like them???and the answer I think would be they are pretty good. LOL.

J, I Love my Jeep, it is absolutely fun to drive. I'll post some pics as I have lowered it with eibach springs ,cai, exhaust & Johan tune. for such a heavy vehicle, it really gets after it. If your thinking about getting 1, do so. you will not regret it. anyhow, I got home from work & checked what I thought was the exhaust header leaking. Boy was I wrong, I took oil dip stick out of the way so I could put a mirror behind header to see how bad it was. when I saw what looked like water on the header, after I looked again I could see a piece of head gasket sticking out.( metal part). so it looks like I will be busy this weekend.... :-p 34442339244[2].jpg18969339251[1].jpg

Viper, what wheels do you have on your GN? what size are they & what size are the tires? as I have 17/8.5 TT2 with 245 up front & 275 out back.

The wheels are TT2's 20" the rear as a 6' lip. Looks killer in person. I do also have some 17 that look nice but the 20's fit the car to me really well. The reason for my last post is i had a SRT 8 jeep. it when 11.7 with the NOS. Love the thing could drive it all day long in the winter bad weather or nice sunny days. Its That your SS also in the Picture?

viper, how does it ride on those 20's? the SS is an 07 rwd & is the 2nd one that I've owned. my 1st SS was an 06 all wheel drive. which I traded for the 07 as it had a better warranty. then my GF barrowed my SS November of 2010 & had an accident, in which it had 20k in Damages. other persons fault, but I had a HUGE issue with the shop that did the repairs. anyways, GF felt so Bad for wrecking my SS, even though it wasn't her fault, that she gave me the Down Payment for the JGCSRT8 as I couldn't locate another SS. so she took over the SS. and I located the SRT8 at carmax here in Alb,NM. I traded in her 98 Jeep Wrangler with 24k miles that no one drove & left carmax with a BIG ASS Grin while driving the SRT8 home.

Thanks Guys! I man really thinking about it. Sorry to hear about the head gaskets. Replace them both with felpros 9441pt. Just did another set recently to 2 car. One was blown and the other was pushing the fire ring way out.
Steve if I do, you will be contacted before I make it home to get it setup the way yours was. I like the Trailblazer but the the Jeep will get me out of the Buick for a few years. Your Buick is next on the list.

Postons headers cracked like crazy.. A friend of mine had them on his 86 with thermal wrapping on them, they looked like shattered glass inside and leaked everywhere.

Notsofast
the 17" ride a lot better than the 20" due to the 17' have more side wall, but to be honest the 20 don't ride bad at all I do have air bags in the back. Just love the way they make the car look, to me a lot meaner.
J
no rush, just let me know when you got time. I can wait on you. Thanks man.

When i got by 86 GN it had Poston headers on it and the first thing i did was check for leaks...naturally :D and what do ya know...5! different cracks total! so i took them off and got them tig welded sice they are a mild stainless by a guy i know who builds NHRA chasses and does great work. He re welded both headers for only $70! been back on the car for about a month now and have had no problems at all. Although i am thinking about taking them back off and installing rimflex gaskets..any thoughts?

p.s. NOTSOFAST, nice looking SRT8. GN and that = sweet set up

J, I Love my Jeep, it is absolutely fun to drive. I'll post some pics as I have lowered it with eibach springs ,cai, exhaust & Johan tune. for such a heavy vehicle, it really gets after it. If your thinking about getting 1, do so. you will not regret it. anyhow, I got home from work & checked what I thought was the exhaust header leaking. Boy was I wrong, I took oil dip stick out of the way so I could put a mirror behind header to see how bad it was. when I saw what looked like water on the header, after I looked again I could see a piece of head gasket sticking out.( metal part). so it looks like I will be busy this weekend.... :-p View attachment 144420View attachment 144421

What kind of boost were your running? Was the Alky tank full? Had you primed it before driving it?

Rob

When i got by 86 GN it had Poston headers on it and the first thing i did was check for leaks...naturally :D and what do ya know...5! different cracks total! so i took them off and got them tig welded sice they are a mild stainless by a guy i know who builds NHRA chasses and does great work. He re welded both headers for only $70! been back on the car for about a month now and have had no problems at all. Although i am thinking about taking them back off and installing rimflex gaskets..any thoughts?

p.s. NOTSOFAST, nice looking SRT8. GN and that = sweet set up
I have Remflex on GN#1 & have had No More Leak Issue's. before I went with Remflex, I couldn't seal the Headers with nothing that is available to us. not felpro-not copper gaskets-not RTV, absolutely nothing. Thank God that I ran into a Remflex ad by chance. so I contacted the vendor to send me a set & I haven't had to look back since.

What kind of boost were your running? Was the Alky tank full? Had you primed it before driving it?

Rob
Silver Fox, I didn't have a chance to look at Boost Gauge as it happened so quick. yes- I always have alky tank full. you know what, I can't re-call if I did or didn't. But Im sure I did, because any time I see potential prey, I hit test button. :)

well after taking driver side head off on Sunday, it was indeed the Head Gasket #9441. it Blew a 2in gap between 3/5, I will post a pic soon. good thing that it has a 1yr warranty therefore I won't have to purchase another head gasket. I may as well put ARP studs like I have in GN#2.

Make sure head gets resurfaced and is perfectly flat. If not, this will happen again. Always does.

Tq to 85. 40/60/80/85

Also if you do go with the rimflex gaskets make sure to have longer header bolts. HA! Ran into that problem when I did mine.

Make sure head gets resurfaced and is perfectly flat. If not, this will happen again. Always does.

Tq to 85. 40/60/80/85
Razor, I do believe that it was more not having the right amount of torque on bolts. as I had followed what the manuel had said & torqued them until first bolt hits 65lbs then stop. I did notice that 2/3 of the lower head bolts just didn't seem as hard to take off. :eek: so this time around I will torque all bolts to 85lbs. :D

Tq to 85. 40/60/80/85
Razor, can I torque the TTY bolts to 85lbs? as that is what I will be using again, as I read that ARP are only reccommended for GN1's. :confused: