D$#@ Header.....

could running to much timing in 1/2 have caused this? as I had read Razor's sticky on tunning with akly. I have TT akly chip 23/21 & had moved 1* /2* up in 1/2 & left 3/4 in default. Razor or anyone alse can you comment on this? ;)

jas, I will check the box when I get home. I know they are ARP, I just don't know which ones. can I use studs on stock Iron heads?

Get the correct arp bolts. The gasket should have been the pt9441 from felpro and heads need to be surfaced. Surfaces oil free and sealant on all threads since they go into water

Deviate from this, results may vary

Julio

Razor, seems I have the stock GM tty bolts for our 3.8. ;)

While I have heard of some reusing the oem bolts. Technically they should not be reused as they have been stretched
The arp bolts are not TTY so they can be re-used

Your dwelling in a sensitive part of the car. And this time was lucky as it blew outward
Doesn't mean next time you have the same fate. Wrong bolts and wrong gaskets it's only a matter of time before the slightest mishap it pops again. Been there done that

Good luck
Julio

Razor, I have a new Box of stock GM tty bolts. the bolts I took off are already in the trash. I can install these then order the ARP & install them later, as I already have the 9441 hg ready to go.

Razor, I have a new Box of stock GM tty bolts. the bolts I took off are already in the trash. I can install these then order the ARP & install them later, as I already have the 9441 hg ready to go.
You can use new bolts. But follow the gm manual for their installation.
Once the gasket is crushed, you cannot pull the bolts out so stay the course.
So the arp deal will be for a future endeavor. Stock bolts should be fine.