Cylinder distribution

JeremysGN

I was wondering what cylinders run leaner comparitively to the rest. I'm doing my machine work right now & it turned out that one rod was .015 shorter than the rest. Considering two possibilities, 1~ different rod & index them all the same, or 2~ run the short rod on the #6 cylinder to assist in keeping det. down. I was wondering basically what cylinders get lean in order from # 6 down. Does it just follow from back to front. THANKS Jeremy. P.S. anyone reading that may have an extra rod let me know.

JeremysGN said:
I was wondering what cylinders run leaner comparitively to the rest. I'm doing my machine work right now & it turned out that one rod was .015 shorter than the rest. Considering two possibilities, 1~ different rod & index them all the same, or 2~ run the short rod on the #6 cylinder to assist in keeping det. down. I was wondering basically what cylinders get lean in order from # 6 down. Does it just follow from back to front. THANKS Jeremy. P.S. anyone reading that may have an extra rod let me know.

Just get a new/ used rod...
Supposedly, 5+6 are the leanest.

You should also check pistons. The pin height can vary just a little, and you may be able to match up the tallest piston with the shortest rod, and get things closer. And unless the block has been trued, there may be a variation in deck height, too.