CTS-V owners - chime in here. Am I crazy to consider one as a DD?

BuickMike

Money pit
So somehow I got sidetracked from my quest for a sporty SUV and a CTS-V wagon caught my eye. There is a part of me that wants to drive something everyday that I'm passionate about regardless of the lack of economics, but is this going too far? Keep in mind I'm a sales engineer who drives an average of 250 miles a week. I also need something with a big enough hatch back to hold a 24"X32"x12" case that weighs 110 lbs for live demos. Since I do mostly fwy driving and at 55mph average with traffic, my fuel economy will be close to fwy ratings. I currently get 24-25mpg out of my WRX and have seen 18-19 out of my F150 when I solely drive it for work. Around town driving with both these is much less.

With all that said, would those of you who have V's recommend for or against this? I know those with heavy right feet average 12-13mpg at best, so no need to post that. I'd like you all to focus on reliability factor and high maintenance issues I might run into vs something else. Thanks!

There is a part of me that wants to drive something everyday that I'm passionate about regardless of the lack of economics!
You answered your own question with those spoken words. Life is short and I do not give a fawk what anyone else thinks about what I do with my hard earned money. I love all the CTS-V's so I like your taste.

Go for it! ;)

I'm more concerned about long term reliability issues that may crop up on me. I do have to use some common sense when looking into my next DD. I still need to haul a family, hockey gear, and my demo unit as well. My wife was giving me the same advice as you, but I explained to her if I wanted to just go out and buy solely based on wants, I would be coming home with a brand new Z06.

The basic platform of the lsa is the same of any gen3/4 LS motor, and they have been proven to last well into the 300k mark. The 6l90 auto's behind them have been consistently in the 9's and the manuals are beefy as well. Mechanically there isn't much to go wrong with them, fix the little issues like the SC isolator and do some tasteful aftermarket mods to it and it will love for a long time and haul the mail.

I desperately pleaded with my wife to consider one, and she loves them but wanted an SUV so we ended up with an SRX.

The V wagon is on a very short list of perfect cars for me. Meaning it looks good, performs good and extremely functional being a wagon. And you can get it with a manual.

I can afford one with 50k miles on the clock. I'll check it out this weekend if its still there. If not, I'll save up more $$ and wait for another one.

I'm more concerned about long term reliability issues that may crop up on me. I do have to use some common sense when looking into my next DD. I still need to haul a family, hockey gear, and my demo unit as well. My wife was giving me the same advice as you, but I explained to her if I wanted to just go out and buy solely based on wants, I would be coming home with a brand new Z06.

I understand your concern with the DD reliability as that is my biggest concern as I hunt for my first GN as it will replace my current DD. Like you I would love to own a CTS-V wagon, good luck. ;)

I almost bought a coupe last year. 10k miles, was a great price @ 33k plus fees... But it wasn't a wagon. It was perfect in every aspect other than the 2 door issue, was even the color I wanted. It would have been my summer DD. I knew the sales manager at a dealership out of state. Came in on trade. Silly farmers in that state just waste money.

I see no cons to having one as a DD.

I can't comment on any long term issues as I don't have one. But the way I see it is as long as it makes the daily driving duties more enjoyable, why not. You can't take money with you when everything goes dark.

I can't comment on any long term issues as I don't have one. But the way I see it is as long as it makes the daily driving duties more enjoyable, why not. You can't take money with you when everything goes dark.

My outlook is a tad biased because I am a car guy, have experienced a great deal of personal loss (fiancé passed away) and have no wife or children but I do understand that the OP being a husband and father must consider every detail and aspect. The only dumb question is the question asked, right?

If memory serves me, without Googling, the wagons are rare and rarely come up for sale?

Also consider the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. My wife just got one and I'm completely blown away. It's a fabulous daily driver with amazing all around performance. Test drive one, seriously.

My outlook is a tad biased because I am a car guy, have experienced a great deal of personal loss (fiancé passed away) and have no wife or children but I do understand that the OP being a husband and father must consider every detail and aspect. The only dumb question is the question asked, right?

If memory serves me, without Googling, the wagons are rare and rarely come up for sale?

Well, searching truecar, 11 wagons, and 5 pages of sedans... So your memory is correct.

I guess I did word my response incorrectly. Looking back I guess I could have worded it differently.
It is more like you can't put value on something that makes you happy. There will always be the necessities, and responsibilities, but if you can have one thing that makes your entire day seem better, why not go for it.

Its like if you needed a new pair of shoes. You wouldn't just go out and buy any shoe. If you have to wear it all day, you would buy something that is comfy. All shoes last so long before laces break, or the sole wears out. Sure, you could wear a cheap pair of shoes that makes your feet sweat or hurt. Or you can get that pair of shoes that elevates the way you feel, less tires, more energetic. When you get home you don't feel like you were beat down.

And yes, no dumb question. I honestly should have bought that Cts-v up and flipped it, but if I had I would have just wanted to keep it even though it wasn't THEE car I wanted.

Well, searching truecar, 11 wagons, and 5 pages of sedans... So your memory is correct.
Having survived the '80s I question my memory on a hourly basis, no harm just a good laugh at my own expense.

I guess I did word my response incorrectly. Looking back I guess I could have worded it differently. It is more like you can't put value on something that makes you happy. There will always be the necessities, and responsibilities, but if you can have one thing that makes your entire day seem better, why not go for it.
The rounded answer has not changed...." you only live once and some (I) refuse to be "planted" constantly repeating "Should of, would of, could of" as the dirt echoes inside said box.

Its like if you needed a new pair of shoes. You wouldn't just go out and buy any shoe. If you have to wear it all day, you would buy something that is comfy. All shoes last so long before laces break, or the sole wears out. Sure, you could wear a cheap pair of shoes that makes your feet sweat or hurt. Or you can get that pair of shoes that elevates the way you feel, less tires, more energetic. When you get home you don't feel like you were beat down.
Or beat down by what others think how one should live their life, wives and kids excluded of course as they keep us grounded.

And yes, no dumb question. I honestly should have bought that Cts-v up and flipped it, but if I had I would have just wanted to keep it even though it wasn't THEE car I wanted.
I have flipped a few cars, for other cars, and regret it but then take a step back and realize everything happens for a reason. Life is short and being happy is a hurdle.

If it is there when I get back home this weekend, I'll check it out. I was thinking about a SRT Jeep, but the newer 8 speed models are out of my price range (at least for what I'm willing to pay for a used car). I understand the whole "go for it" way of thinking and have done this plenty of times before, however just because I think this car is awesome I really don't know for sure. This is why I was hoping to get some V owners to chime in and let me know their long term impressions. I've owned enough cars that wore thin in less than a year to understand there is more to a car than the legend. Just like our cars. Most people who drool over them would not be able to deal with them long term because of the quirks.

Cal Hartline has had a few.... send him a PM. I'm sure he can school you on a thing or two concerning them.

I have one - they are fun cars. I can't say I use it as my DD but I wouldn't be afraid to. I can't leave anything stock - changed cam, injectors, headers, pulleys, etc, etc and it puts down well over 600hp to the tires on a very conservative tune and is a solid 10sec car. I've put plenty of miles on it since the mods with no issues whatsoever. If you can keep your foot out of it they can get about 21mpg on the highway. The wagon Vs are pretty rare.