Sometimes I wish my GN was a driver

BuickMike

Money pit
I did some consolidating and my wife and I are down to 2 daily drivers. I used to love to have that third backup car, but it annoyed me that one car was always sitting around. Now I have the CTS-V, she has the F150, and the GN is the 3rd car. Just the other day my wife bumped into the V and it will be in the body shop for a week. Then, I have a guy painting my wheels for a couple days. After that, I have plans to do a vinyl wrap which will take about 5 days. The GN is way too nice to take out with the 250 hours of paint work that Heath Elmer put in it. I was almost thinking to see if I could trade it for something fun, but daily drivable like a Z06. Am I nuts? I've had this car almost 20 years. I still can't grasp that it is a "classic" because when I bought it, it was only 10 years old.

You've had it that long, you would regret getting rid of it. If you can afford a beater, then get that as the "3rd" car.

I had 4 cars at one point = insurance poor. It's not worth it for two people unless you have a sales job or similar. I had a car that was down to $2,000 in value but still looked great so I used that for sales calls but it started to need parts regularly (hoses, tires, etc.). You can rent a compact car for $150/week worst case in a pinch.

Put the GN on collector insurance if it's not already, a lot cheaper.

Buick Mike, I hear ya. I often wish my gn was more of a daily driver too. Mine is as close to a "pristine" stock example ( with exceptions of vacuum brake conversion, new stock body bushings and various frame bracing) as any 30 year old car can be, and using it as a DD would take its toll as it would on any ride. I want to keep her as nice as possible. Don't get me wrong, I do drive it, but maybe once or twice a week to car shows and cruising with the Little RedHead.
Hopefully, I will post some pics soon, but I got to wait until the weather breaks. It really is a nice GN.

Last edited:
Get a $1500 4cyclinder honda as your DD and insurance is cheap

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Even if the car is super nice , isn't it more fun to drive than look at it? I realize you don't want shopping carts and door dents but if you sold it, that is worse I think.

Even if the car is super nice , isn't it more fun to drive than look at it? I realize you don't want shopping carts and door dents but if you sold it, that is worse I think.

Definitely more fun to drive than just look at it, especially after all the work done to it -- body bushings, frame bracing, shocks, vacuum brakes-- no more squeaks or rattles and stopping worries. Drives like a different car from when I first bought it. Plus, it gets LOTS of looks wherever it goes. If I didn't want another airplane, I wouldn't be quite as keen on the idea of protecting its resale value. And if I do decide to eventually sell it, it would *only* be to acquire another love of mine -- another airplane.

So to answer all the comments:

I have a sales job. Just got acquired and rumor has it that we may be getting company cars, so that will fix the problem. As much as putting 20k miles a year on a CTS-V wagon is not bright in most people's minds, I REALLY love driving it. This car is basically GN 2.0 for me and a total stress reliever when on the road. Problem is I need a car to get to meetings and my wife needs one too. We have 4 cars total. The GN is the 3rd and the 4th is the '59 LeSabre, which I have torn apart. The GN used to be a DD that turned into the fun / backup car. Then it sat in my garage all apart for years while I slowly restored it.

The GN is already on classic car insurance. I drive it almost every weekend. We go out cruising and hit up car shows, events, etc. a few months ago my son and I did a 300 mile road trip. I just can't use it for DD / work purposes. I don't want to use it for that because it is way too nice.

I actually sold the beater a couple years ago and consolidated to 2 cars for driver purposes. This was before getting the sales job. It was a '91 Honda CRX Si and it was a blast to drive. What happened is that Honda discontinued OEM parts, and I was forced to buy aftermarket crap for it. Stuff started breaking left and right. It was unbearable. For example, my Autozone CV joints would go bad after about 6-9 months and the boots were not torn. Every time that happened, the CV shaft they exchanged was either the wrong one, or they machined the lip that goes to the trans seal out of spec and it would leak bad. Every time this happened, it took 3 exchanges to get it right. No joke. I went through 5 replacement distributors in 6 weeks before I made management source one from someone other than A1 Cardone. My AC compressor went out and the replacement had a bad clutch - DOA. All that plus a bunch of other stupid stuff that I had no time to mess with.

It really comes down to me coming to terms with the fact that the car I bought 20 years ago as a DD that can double as a track car is now a classic lol.

It really comes down to me coming to terms with the fact that the car I bought 20 years ago as a DD that can double as a track car is now a classic lol.

What it really sounds like is someone is in denial lol. Cars don't get old, their owners do... :p

Don't sell it, you'll be kicking yourself down the road, classic or not.

LOL maybe it's midlife crisis. I'm looking at several hobby related things and my interest is not exactly what it was before. I do get bored of cars quick. On average, I get a new car every 3 years. I think I've owned 25 cars now and I'm 41. With exception of the GN, 6 years is my record for keeping a car. Still love the GN. Just wish that I didn't make it so nice, so I could use it for regular duty.

LOL maybe it's midlife crisis. I'm looking at several hobby related things and my interest is not exactly what it was before. I do get bored of cars quick. On average, I get a new car every 3 years. I think I've owned 25 cars now and I'm 41. With exception of the GN, 6 years is my record for keeping a car. Still love the GN. Just wish that I didn't make it so nice, so I could use it for regular duty.
Sounds just like me lol