Crankcase Evacuation with the LT1 smog pump. How To:

Cool, good luck on the engine build! I live quite a ways down from you in Mira Mesa. When you get it done I'd love meet up with you at Barona. Keep us posted on your progress.

PABLO,I tried to send you a private e mail but your box is full ,what do you think of the kit jegs sells ele vac pump and kit 555 52215 5k ,,,,OPINION ???

I'm pretty sure they are using someones smog pump in that kit.

I wouldn't spend my money on that. Doing the LT1 pump and racetronix harness is way cheaper.

Hey Turbo1dr

Your Quote EDIT: If I was a vendor, I wouldn't tell the people though...I'd just sit back and take their money and SMILE!

I'm glad you're not a vender !!!!!

George

Bringing this thread back...

First of all....Thank you Pablo and ttypewhite (for the diagram;) ) for both your efforts and help!

I finally got around to installing this LT1 pump setup, and let me tell ya it flat out works! Now when I hit 26+ psi I no longer get oil seepage from the oil pan, or oil coming out the dipstick tube. Before I had 2 open breathers and blocked the PCV. That worked good as far as not getting oil out the breathers....but sometimes a little oil was coming out the dipstick tube and always getting past the oil pan gasket from excess crankcase pressure.

Initially when I installed it the system didn't work properly. For some reason I was blowing the 20 amp fuse on the Racetronix harness every time I got on it. I guess when the smog pump ran it was pulling too much amperage and would blow the fuse. I knew it stopped working because I can see the oil smoke cloud behind from the oil blowing out the dipstick tube onto the crossover pipe.:rolleyes: So I put in a 25 amp fuse and works great now. Otherwise it was easy to install, the Racetronix harness is well worth the money. The hardest part is figuring out where to mount all this stuff.

I admit though the catch can is a bit overkill now. Not a drop of oil gets to the catch can. I'm using Moroso breathers and I believe they have a built in oil/air separator. I also made the stock PCV operational again...the oil is much cleaner now. I don't think I'll ever run a street car without a PCV again.

2686667_81_full.jpg

That is excellent news, good for you. I had my setup just like yours at first until I got that $365 ticket for venting crankcase pressure into the atmosphere. :mad: Its a very stout setup, I like it a lot. I worked with Racetronix on testing of this whole evac idea, and they made it seemless for me to hook everything up properly and see instant results. It also makes me feel good hearing and seeing your results too. Thanks for the feedback.

can some one give me a auto parts ball park figure( price )on a lt1 pump.

I got mine used off ebay for around 25 bucks. If you have a pick and pull junkyard nearby you could probably get it for the same or even less. I think brand new they're about $100.

Also on that Jegs kit, it looks like a later model GM smog pump that's wired so it is always on. I don't think the pump would last long being continuously ran like that unless it's going on a track only car.:confused:

That is excellent news, good for you. I had my setup just like yours at first until I got that $365 ticket for venting crankcase pressure into the atmosphere. :mad: Its a very stout setup, I like it a lot. I worked with Racetronix on testing of this whole evac idea, and they made it seemless for me to hook everything up properly and see instant results. It also makes me feel good hearing and seeing your results too. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm thinking about just getting rid of the catch can now since no oil is making it there anyway. Did you just vent the crankcase pressure back into the intake? Or do you just run the outlet side of the pump with nothing attached?

I'm thinking about just getting rid of the catch can now since no oil is making it there anyway. Did you just vent the crankcase pressure back into the intake? Or do you just run the outlet side of the pump with nothing attached?

I just ran a line into my frame when I took out my catch can.

Sorry to be a pain in the A..,but can you put up another diagram(picture) of the vacuum pump hoses and where they connect on engine ,moroso catch can, moroso breathers ,also would like to use PCV SYSTEM....I have stock valve covers ,but I can modify if i must....Since I have AC installed I will put battery in trunk and install pump in the place of battery...PLEASE EXPLAIN IN DETAIL DIAGRAM ......WHITETTYPE,,,,PABLO.;)

About to order pump which is the best and easyest to modify and I dont know which phone number for racetronic

I am still running my stock setup for the PCV along with this evac deal. Racetronix is a internet based business. There are no phone numbers. You have to go on their webpage and place your order. All the pumps work the same and there is no advantage in either one of them. Its basically your choice. If you look on this link, the info is all there including the part # for the pumps that Racetronix makes their harness for.
RX-CEPH

Mike with the Racetronix setup, I guess from the pic the Hobbs switch just stays underhood (due to cable length) so you sorta set it & forget it kinda deal. That harness will fit all 3 pumps it looks like? I would personally want the smallest most compact one. Gotta check this out some more! Thanks!