Crank sensor problem

t-typex1

Darkside Member
After some time of troubleshooting, the problem is pointing to the crank sensor. What all is involved in changing the crank sensor?
And, I called Full Throttle, they don't carry them. Where can I get this from?
I can probably get my hands on a used one from a spare motor, but Im not sure if that's a good idea...
Any help is appreciated. And, opinions on using a used one, please feel free to tell me what you think

Thanks

All depends if u have the orig sensor or its been replaced once before
( orig unit sensor and holder. An hr or so if u still have a slic)
( New style just the sensor .
15 min with slic)

Any auto store !!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

These are usually pretty reliable

New ones can be had at just abut any reputable parts store

The used one if clean and undamaged would not bother me a bit

about an our to RR with SLIC

OK. Is there a specific tool to put it on and set it, or a procedure to follow?
And I have FMIC

no special tools except ensure the clearance between the reloctor and the sensor is clear and not hitting. Although I think the recommended clearanc is like 15 to 20 thou.

Cut 2 thin strips off the cover of an oil filter box and wedge those in between the sensor and reluctor ring on both sides when the sensor is loose. Once the strips in are, tighten the bolt to spec. Finally, rotate engine by hand ensuring non of the 3 rings touch and you are good to go.

Hmm I usually use a couple strips from the side of a plastic soda bottle. I might try the oil filter box next time and see if that is any easier.

After some time of troubleshooting, the problem is pointing to the crank sensor. What all is involved in changing the crank sensor?
And, I called Full Throttle, they don't carry them. Where can I get this from?
I can probably get my hands on a used one from a spare motor, but Im not sure if that's a good idea...
Any help is appreciated. And, opinions on using a used one, please feel free to tell me what you think

Thanks

Highway stars has them. However I have one that came off my car at 11,670 miles. When I replace every sensor and relay in the car with NOS stuff.PM me if you want what I have. Looks brand new.

Just install the sensor
Snug the sensor leaving a little play
And centering it
At the trigger ring
Then start the car
It will center it self. Then tighten it down.

Looks like I have to pull the harmonic balancer. Seems like that detail was left out...

Thanks, that's what I did. The directions that came with the sensor indicated pulling the balancer. Glad I could avoid it. I have the new sensor on.
Even worse than that, it didn't solve my issue....
Not happy about that

Did you state your problem? If you were worried about the crank sensor is the car not starting?

I posted the issue a while ago. I don't get a lot of time to spend on it, so its taking a while to do. The car has been giving me a stumbling problem when going to any boost, then when it gets past the stumble it will pull but picks up some knock. I have been chasing this issue for some time now. Besides that, the car runs normally perfect. No error codes, plugs are a nice light golden brown, starts and idles like it should, goes down the road at any speed with no indications of issues.
Now even more recently, when I took it to the downriver cruise, I stepped on it a little (maybe 5-10 psi of boost) and when I did it stumbled, then backfired and shut off completely. After pulling off the road, I did some troubleshooting on what I could to see if something came loose. It all looked normal. I tried to start it again, and another backfire. I stopped there and had it towed to dig more deeply at home.
I have since checked the cam for play, it checks normal. I put a spare cam sensor on it I had. Changed out the whole coil pack, new wires, plugs (already commented they looked great as far as coloring), and now the crank sensor.
No backfire, but still no start. When it cranks, after a few second cranking, it sounds like its out of time.
For arguments sake, this motor has maybe 1500 miles on it.

Cam sensor in 180 out
What are your maf readings
Fuel filter on back wards
Wires from module to coil on worng ( inside)
All things to ck !

Highway stars has them. However I have one that came off my car at 11,670 miles. When I replace every sensor and relay in the car with NOS stuff.PM me if you want what I have. Looks brand new.
I appreciate your offer. I bought one because I was pressed for time to make the Buick Meet on Woodward, otherwise I would have contacted you.
Very much appreciate your offer

I tried to leave positive feedback for you, but it tells me I cant. Says only the thread starter can do that. I don't get it because I AM the thread starter.... lol

Last edited:
I would double check your cam sensor to make sure you installed it correctly. Use the cam tool to verify. Once that's ok I would check your ECM and harness to make sure all your pins are in good shape. Yes they can rust out ask me how I know. Even the pin terminals on the harness side can rust and break. Best thing to do is swap parts out from a running car that a friend might have.

I would double check your cam sensor to make sure you installed it correctly. Use the cam tool to verify. Once that's ok I would check your ECM and harness to make sure all your pins are in good shape. Yes they can rust out ask me how I know. Even the pin terminals on the harness side can rust and break. Best thing to do is swap parts out from a running car that a friend might have.
I forgot to mention I have swapped ECM, a few different chips, injector harness, injectors, FPR, all while troubleshooting the stumble it had/has.

Another person pointed back to the cam sensor as well. I will be revisiting the cam sensor...

I went thru the same symptoms a while back I changed and checked everything but it all lead to the actual plug that plugged into the crank sensor the one that was bad on my car looked just fine but the pins were a little sprung I think, but I ordered a new plug/pigtail from caspers soldered it on and viola every sputter backfire etc gone! its such a cheap and easy fix you might want to give it a try part was about $15 shipped took about 30min, good luck