cracked intake!

counterman

While redoing the head gaskets in my 87, I noticed that the intake has a hairline crack running from one of the ports towards the center of the manifold. It is a ported stocker from Champion, and has maybe 50 miles on it. The crack is nowhere near a bolt hole location, and I am wondering if anyone else has run into something similar. I suppose I could just have it welded, but the scar will be visible. Counterman.

Should be ok, getting it welded, Mine snapped an ear off the corner, and welded it back on, no problems

Attachments

• Motor11.jpg
    Motor11.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 288
If it were the stocker, I'd just replace the damned thing. However, it is going to put me back $600 for another Champion piece without a good core. Of course, I sent back my perfectly good stocker as a core last time, so I cannot just throw it back on the car for now. So far, this is in line with the rest of this project--taking the long way around for sure! Oh well, gotta love these things. Thanks, Counterman.

If the crack is inside the intake port, just grind/sand the finish off the outside of the crack and lay some JBWeld over it. Let it dry (if you use the 5min. stuff, it only takes 1/2 hr. to be hard as a rock) and then smooth it out and give the manifold a good paint job with Duplicolor DE1615 aluminum paint. Great looking paint. I epoxy intake ports all the time, both in manifolds and iron/aluminum heads. JBWeld works GREAT! Just don't have the manifold "hot tanked" as it will eat the epoxy off. Save the shipping costs, and just glue it up. It is best to epoxy it with it torqued down. If you dab the wet epoxy with a cut down paint brush, (shorten the bristles to about 1/4") you can give it the cast aluminum surface look. Guys in classes that do not allow porting get real creative with epoxy, and how to make it look "stock". I HATE to weld on a stock intake (especially if it has been ported) because they tend to warp real bad requiring it to be milled straight.

Thanks for the suggestion, Turbofabricator. This manifold has a crack originating in a rear port. It sort of v's off. Part of it goes vertical to the top of the port, and is visible outside the runner. The other portion runs over to one of the boss locations for the coil pack hold down bolt. Nothing horrific, but obvious for sure. It does run across the intake gasket flange on the bottom of the port, and that would be my area of concern as far as epoxying it. I am nowhere near any water passages, though. What do you think? I will probably buy another one this week, and repair the other one for a spare or future project. Thanks, Counterman.

I purchased a champion intake that was cracked sent it back from where I got it . They welded it and sent it back to me i installed it in a rebuild engine. I ate up the front cam bearing with in 20 miles and removed the intake when I did I noticed alot of hairline cracks. I never installed it back its just sitting on my shelf maybe i will call the vendor from where I purchased it.

Intake

I purchased a champion intake that was cracked sent it back from where I got it . They welded it and sent it back to me i installed it in a rebuild engine. I ate up the front cam bearing with in 20 miles and removed the intake when I did I noticed alot of hairline cracks. I never installed it back its just sitting on my shelf maybe i will call the vendor from where I purchased it.

BY THE WAY HOW DO THESE INTAKES TEND TO CRACK OR GET HAIRLINE CRACKS.