cost vs. strenght vs. ease of install

turbocam

I will be purchasing a new trans in the next week or so.I have an 86 gn that i drive about 20 miles or less a day.Maybe make a couple passes a month at the track.I really want to go th400,but thinking th350 may be a little easier and cheaper.I have read about converter charge issues with the th400.Is this a problem with the th350?Can I use the stock driveshaft with the th350?My car went 11.0s with old te 60 combo.Every thing is same except te45a now.I think either will take the power my car makes, what would you do?Thanks for any info or suggestions...................................

Th 400...

I would go ahead with the 400 for strength, talk to Dusty Bradford about the convertor. I built a 400 for another member, asloan5, and he bought the covertor from Dusty, the car runs 9.96 with absolutely NO trans/convertor issues. When you talk to him about the convertor, he will take everything about your car into consideration when building the convertor; IE: HP, tire size, rear gears etc. , a correctly built convertor makes all the difference in the world. brace yourself though, they are pricey! Good luck, John.:cool:

We actually use the T-350 in all local street cars who are looking to get away from the 200r. So far we have ran 8.90's with a T-350 with nothing more than a good input shaft and forward drum assembly. They are much tougher than people give them credit for. A 10 second car will run for years with a T-350. The stock driveshaft will work with them. We never had any converter charge issues with them either. Get a crossmember out of any 3 speed G-body at the local scrap yard.