Correct Denso O2 sensor???

granitestategn

Gettin' there
Sorry to re-hash this one again. Which is the correct Denso O2 sensor to replace my heated sensor that I bought from Kirban's? I believe Kirban gets their heated O2 set-ups from Caspers. I did a search and found conflicting info on part numbers. One thread said it was a 234-4018, the other said it was a 234-3005. Which one is correct? Thanks in advance.:)

Does Kirban's kit use a 3 wire (flat plug) or 4 wire (square plug) sensor? The 3 wire Denso to replace an AFS109 is 234-4018, and the 4 wire Denso to replace an AFS74 is the 234-3005.

I just bought a heated 4-wire Denso and the number is 234-4018...plus I have some AFS-109s and they are 4-wire heated...

Originally posted by MSDGN
I just bought a heated 4-wire Denso and the number is 234-4018...plus I have some AFS-109s and they are 4-wire heated...
Gack, thanks. I guess I got dyslexic when I typed in the numbers and descriptions. My notes are correct, sigh.

See what I mean?

I placed an order for a 1-wire 234-1001 and what I thought was a replacement for my 4-wire heated sensor. The 4-wire one that I ordered was a 234-3005 ( I got that part number from previous threads after doing a search). I guess I won't get the right one, right? If there is definitive information out there, maybe someone can edit the old threads to prevent someone else from making the same mistake. I guess I also should have posted this question BEFORE placing my order. :( BTW, the Kirban's heated sensor I bought last year had the square plug.

I decided to double check this last night after I posted... the number on the Denso box was 234-4018 and it's a 4-wire heated sensor...whether it's the right one or not...don't know...haven't used it yet...the guy at Monarch told me it was the right number when I ordered it...

I may be wrong but I think the one you ordered 234-3005 is the 3-wire...guess you'll find out pretty soon...

Correct Denso O2 sensors

1 wire 234-1001 (direct stock replacement)
4 wire 234-4018 (direct replacement for Casper's heated O2 kit also replacement for AFS-109)

Wrong sensor!

I will definitely be getting the wrong one. After talking with Steve @ Denso I found out the easy way to remember the correct part numbers. The correct part number is 234-4018 as TurboV6 says. The 234 in the part number says it's an O2 sensor. The FIRST digit of the second half of the part number tells you how many wires it has. A 234-1001 is a one-wire sensor, the 234-3005 is a three-wire sensor and the 234-4018 is a four-wire sensor. Easy enough, right?;)

Need an answer from this old thread. "different plugs"? How are you guys choosing your plugs? There's only one plug in a Grand National. I ask because I want to grab another one and see there's two-one with an OE designation and one with a "universal" designation. I want to find out what that difference is.

I don't like goin' in blind. I want to know why and how. You should know that by now, I'm a Buick owner. If this were a daily driver I'd just throw whatever in it and be done. But this is a Buick. It's a bit more complicated lol.

There's a thread on here explaining the differences betweeen these two but I can't find it.

Asked the parts counter guy. He said the oem is a drop in fit. The universal doesn't come with a plug. Which sounds stupid to me. Wish my wide band was that way lol.

Need an answer from this old thread. "different plugs"? How are you guys choosing your plugs? There's only one plug in a Grand National. I ask because I want to grab another one and see there's two-one with an OE designation and one with a "universal" designation. I want to find out what that difference is.

Correct. Stock is 1 wire. The OP was running a heated sensor so there's extra wires for the heating circuit. (no idea why people want to pay extra for a sensor that might not code when it goes bad, but to each their own). It would seem the heated units have many different plugs depending on what car they're supposed to go on.

The reason the universal has no plug is because almost all NB single wire 02 sensors are the same. I guess you buy it and move your plug over. The only difference is the plug, and probably the wire length. (and O2 sensor really isn't a sensor, it's a switch). I think Toyota has one unit that switches at a different A/F ratio but it's been years since I came across that info.

How do you run a heated sensor? What's heating it? The Grand National doesn't have provisions to heat it's own sensor. The plug leading to it is for a non heated.

You feed power from an outside source. It's really a waste of time and money. The only reason to run a heated sensor is for emissions reasons, the engine can't be in closed loop properly without a hot sensor and the heater speeds that up. Our exhaust is hotter than the average bear and we generally don't beat on the car before the 02 gets warm.

The downside is that the sensors cost much more and they've shown they can go bad without throwing a code.

You feed power from an outside source. It's really a waste of time and money. The only reason to run a heated sensor is for emissions reasons, the engine can't be in closed loop properly without a hot sensor and the heater speeds that up. Our exhaust is hotter than the average bear and we generally don't beat on the car before the 02 gets warm.

The downside is that the sensors cost much more and they've shown they can go bad without throwing a code.

Oh my, sure do wish there was a forum for what you DON'T need to do to these cars. Earl you know I would not post this if my dumb ass didn't have a heated sensor.

When you think about it, it's a freak of nature just how fast these cars are in 'stockish' form.....

....often time it's not better to have square wheels.

If it doesn't increase airflow or lower parasitic losses, odds are it's not better.