Cooling probs with Frontmount??

DR. EVIL

THE DARKSIDE
Okay, I have the cash for a CAS V2.

I want the extra power and cooling from it, but since its in front of the radiator, anyone had engine cooling problems using it on an everyday driver??

Would I be better off with a big-neck stretch stock location IC?

Basically I'm saying I want the frontmount, but I'd like to know if anyones had problems with cooling.....

There have been lots of very thorough posts on this topic recently.

The concensus seems to be to stick with a good enlarged stock location IC until you've just gotta go sub-11's...and yes, you're going to have to do some cooling system upgrades to keep your cool in summer traffic jams, especially with the A/C running.

That's the "fast" answer...HTH! :)

I was reading about that Measeperformance stretch and shroud. Looks like an excellent piece. I'm only looking for low 11's to high 10's tops.....more sleeper too with stock location ;)

With a front mount ,go with a Spal Fan setup ,about $220 shipped ,when they are on they sound like a Jet engine,make the Blue Angles proud..get a Spal..

If you need a phone umber of where to get them let me know

Get the V4 (21 row stock location stretch intercooler) or V4R (27 row stock location stretch intercooler that will support 750hp) and you won't have to worry about upgrading the cooling system which if done right will cost about $800 - $1k when you consider you'll need a 3 pass aluminum radiator (about $600) and dual spal fan kit (about $200) and unless you do the install you'll be paying somebody more $$$ to install it. If you go to Tony's website (CAS) www.chargedair.com you'll see that Tony mentions in his intercooler selection guide that your engine temps will increase with a FM and the V4 or V4R is a much better choice for a car that is street driven mostly.

More than one comparison has been posted here that show virtually no difference between a V4 and a front mount in the mid-ten and up range.

With a front mount, you probably won't have too many cooling problems until the temp hits the 90s and then you won't like sitting in traffic with the ac on.

The V4 will spool better than a front mount on the street.

But, as we have noted here over and over, facts and experience don't mean much and people buy what sounds good and a front mount seems to sound good. :)

no frontmount

well, I've decided against the frontmount, knowing my luck, I'd need to drop $1200 on cooling upgrades:eek:

Now, do I go with the V4? How much horsepower will it support?
What about the Mease Performance IC? I like the front shround on it better....he talks about his 15 row, but he also mentions he makes up to a 20 row I think...

we have a car locally that dyno'd 560 rwhp with a V4...700 ft lbs torque....so my guess is it'll support all the horsepower a stock block can make!

Originally posted by azgn
we have a car locally that dyno'd 560 rwhp with a V4...700 ft lbs torque....so my guess is it'll support all the horsepower a stock block can make!

Holly Shmolly! that's some power! So the V4 has the bigger inlet and outlet necks both? Does it have a different shroud with it, or do you use the stock one?

everything bigger...comes with a shroud (the stocker won't come close to fitting...)

it comes with a metal shroud...has big necks, and apparently, the highest tech core material for heat exchange.

There are three versions as described below with info from the web site. The S model is basically a modern, big necked, stock replacement. The straight V4 is probably the one that most use and will handle easily the power that Woody describes, and there is an R model that was designed for a GSCA class that will handle more but is probably completely unnecessary for any stock block.

From www.chargedair.com

STOCK MOUNT INTERCOOLERS
Click to go back to the Turbo Real Products page

The V-4S is a direct stock replacement intercooler and utilizes the stock intercooler shroud and the stock mounting bracket. A direct replacement. This unit utilizes our 13-row core matrix, features our exclusive high flow inlet and outlet necks like used on our V-4 and V-4R intercoolers and is powder coated 70% gloss black. Typical gains of 1/10 - 2/10s. If your on a budget and need to replace your stock intercooler, this is the unit for you. During testing at Buicks at Bristol 2000, this went 11.19 @ 120 MPH at Bristol 2000 (high elevation).
V-4S $499 (stock item)

Our V-4 19/21 row stock location intercooler is a direct bolt in that fits with the sway bar. On a low 12 second car, the V-4 will knock a solid 3/10s and 3 MPH off 1/4 mile E.T.s and the 19/21 row has already been well into the 10.6s at 126 MPH+. The 19/21 row V-4 mantains almost the same ground clearance as the OE intercooler with the shroud installed. See the March 2000 and May 2000 issues of GM High Tech Performance for a compelte feature and install on the V-4. Please note, as of January 2001, the 19 row has become a 21 row and the 24 row has become a 27 row as the result of our new core matrix and brazing process. We have seen no measurable difference in performance from the 19 to the 21 or from the 24 to the 27 row.
V-4 Stock Location 21 row intercooler $699 (currently backlogged 3 weeks)

The V-4R 24/27 row model will support up to 750 horsepower and also fits with swaybar.
V-4R Stock Location 27 row intercooler $869 (currently backlogged 3 weeks)

I think I've decided to go with the V4, I've been on the site but there's no order page:confused:

I guess I just e-mail Tony??

Well, hell... Just got an e-mail from Mease Performance, I think I may go with that IC afterall.... only thing is he wants a core exchange or it's an extra $125... I may just keep my stocker and buy it outright for only $45 more than the V4.

Hmmmm, decisions decisions....

How much is the Mease Performance stock location IC? But you know that Keiths IC are made out of used cores and the CAS cores are brand new. Just to let you know. :)

You live in ILL so so get the V2, I love mine! If you don't have anything larger than a 44 it may not help any over a stock location but it sure does free up a bunch of room in front of the engine and makes taking the motor out quicker!:D What kind of driving do you do? If you mainly just go to the track with short cruises go V2. If you drive every day or sit in traffic then maybe the other route is better. I still think the V2 will outshine a V4 more and more on back to back runs due to heat soak. Enjoy!

Mease's 15 row is actually about 1" longer than the 21 row V4. The larger rows on the Mease actually flow a little better. I also love the adjustable shroud he has for it, looks like it should distribute air a lot better to the upper portion of that IC.

Right now that IC is $619 with a core exchange or $125 extra w/o a core.

I've heard nothing but good things about the work he does on flushing and re-sealing those cores. :)

Check this thread out if you haven't seen it already.....
Mease Intercooler feedback

Originally posted by Intercooler
You live in ILL so so get the V2, I love mine! If you don't have anything larger than a 44 it may not help any over a stock location but it sure does free up a bunch of room in front of the engine and makes taking the motor out quicker!:D What kind of driving do you do? If you mainly just go to the track with short cruises go V2. If you drive every day or sit in traffic then maybe the other route is better. I still think the V2 will outshine a V4 more and more on back to back runs due to heat soak. Enjoy!

I'm out in that car everyday, in traffic. I think I'll stick to the stock location....

Flow is one thing, heat removal is something else.

CAS uses the lates core technology and I suspect both flow and heat removal are greater. When you weld old cores together you have 15 year old cores that have lost efficiency due to the bond deterioration between fins and tubes...another negative.