Cooling fan option - Malibu/Cutlass

scottyb

Spongebob Squarecar
FWIW, I found another fan that seems to work well (so far).
My factory fan died about 3 years ago. I replaced it with a Ramchargers fan which lasted 1.5 years. Assuming that was a fluke (because of all the raves about it), I bought another Ramchargers (from another source) fan. Well it died last week after a month of the tell-tale bearing signs and 1.5 years of total service.

After researching here, I went junkyard trolling for a Taurus fan (90-95). What I found is that the Taurus needed the 3.8 engine to have the bigger fan. The yards I browsed did not have this. I opted to buy a dual set from a ~1997 Olds Cutlass V6 (same car as the Malibu from same model). This dual set was almost identical in size to the Ramchargers set, so fabbing it in was a breeze for me.

So far, so good. It's 93 out there right now, and my legthy stop in a drive thru saw temp creep slowly to a peak of 186 - essentially the same results I saw with the Ramchargers set. FWIW, my factory fan crept to over 200 in the same environment.

One fan pulls harder than the other, so I simply wired the "low" relay to the weaker fan, and the high to the stronger one. I'll revisit this wiring setup once AC season is over and I can monitor the fan efficiency without AC(one fan only).

What is the shroud size of that setup and fan diameter? I was checking out the fans on my wife's cts. 2 13" fans with a 17" by 25" shroud.

The shroud is 14X26, 26 is a perfect fit between the end tanks. FWIW, 17 is the height of the stock shroud. The Olds fans themselves are recessed a bit and total width is actually 27 inches.
13 inch fans
It was very hot yesterday (high 90s) and the temp went up to 190 on my way home in stop-and-go. The jury is still out on this fan for me. I can't make a judgement based on the heat of the past few days. I can certainly state that it performs better than the stocker, but I'm not sure of it's up to par for a good functioning Ramchargers dual set.

Did the junkyard charge alot for the fans? I was checkin out fan motors on rock auto. The ctsv has 160 watt motors while the v6 has 120 watt motors. If you could find a ctsv in the junkyard.....

Did the junkyard charge alot for the fans? I was checkin out fan motors on rock auto. The ctsv has 160 watt motors while the v6 has 120 watt motors. If you could find a ctsv in the junkyard.....

They charge 20 per fan, so a dual set cost me 40 clams.