Coolant survey for TN

we4Mateo

Double you eee what?
I'm flushing my coolant next week. I'm also moving to Nashville, TN in two weeks. I'm thinking of pulling the coolant amount back to 25% + water + RMI-25. It does still get below freezing there and it won't be in a heated garage until Spring '15. Will this be enough?

Please tell me what you do in near freezing temps but mostly above and sometimes very hot in the summer.

Been here in Memphis for a couple decades now and simple 50/50 mix works for me year round. Both my GNs lived outside for all seasons and were/are fine with 50/50, 160 degree thermostat, stock fan and radiator. Only difference now is my current car has an F-body radiator. Never froze and handles the Summer heat fine.

This past Winter we had many, many days of consecutive temps in the low teens overnight so be prepared for way below freezing. I was real glad everything has been garaged for the past four years.

The GS-Xtra is reporting on a new hi-performance coolant, non-water based, -40 - 375 degree boiling point, for hi-performance cars. Supposedly life time use, @$40.00 /gal. Called Evans
high performance waterless coolant. If I get my car back together before oct. 15 th, I'm going to give it a try. I keep my gn garaged in the winter.

The GS-Xtra is reporting on a new hi-performance coolant, non-water based, -40 - 375 degree boiling point, for hi-performance cars. Supposedly life time use, @$40.00 /gal. Called Evans
high performance waterless coolant. If I get my car back together before oct. 15 th, I'm going to give it a try. I keep my gn garaged in the winter.
Evans has been around forever ... I've been wanting to changeover. The key is getting rid of ALL the coolant and water in the system before switching over. it's a LIFETIME coolant so cost is negligible . also it doesn't ruin bearing surfaces and cause havoc if you do blow a HG.... Just haven't converted yet. I remember Jay Leno did a video on his YouTube channel ... Google it, it's worth watching.

Hth
aaron

Thanks Aaron, My engine is out and apart so it won't be a problem for me. I also have the drains installed on the sides of my block to assist in draining on the eng. stand. Thanks for the info.
Tom

Last edited:
Cool Matt. You'll be just 45 minutes from me. I winterize with 50/50 in the winter. In the summer water and RMI.

Cool Matt. You'll be just 45 minutes from me. I winterize with 50/50 in the winter. In the summer water and RMI.

Sweet! It'll be nice to have another Buick guy close to bounce ideas off of and such. I'm nervous about racing it there until I establish a relationship with a guy with a shop.

Thanks for the info on coolant too guys.

Do you think 25% is not enough for the temps in Nashville?

I didn't drive mine last winter, it sat in my attached garage. I drained enough water to put one gallon of coolant in and it was fine. I'm not sure my garage gets below freezing though. We do get down into the single digits in winter.

The most I ever run is 20%. If it's going to get REAL cold, I'll sometimes drain it down and toss some more in there just to be safe. Then back to 20% when I do all my spring oil changes.

The most I ever run is 20%. If it's going to get REAL cold, I'll sometimes drain it down and toss some more in there just to be safe. Then back to 20% when I do all my spring oil changes.

Define "real" cold please.

I didn't drive mine last winter, it sat in my attached garage. I drained enough water to put one gallon of coolant in and it was fine. I'm not sure my garage gets below freezing though. We do get down into the single digits in winter.

My garage hit 15 degrees in January this year.

On the nights when it gets really cold, I put a drop light with a 60w halogen bulb on the floor under the motor.