Coolant in oil

iancamaro

Was a mile from my house when I noticed my temps creeping up to about 215 Pulled into my garage and started to check things out. Car is not smoking out the exhaust. It def has coolant in the oil and is steaming out the valve cover breathers. I pulled all six plugs and no signs of antifreeze.
I am running 93 with alky at 24 lbs boosts I check my knock every pull I make and I'm confident there has been no knock at all. Could this be a intake gasket problem?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Might be that might be a cracked block might be a blown head gasket. Get ready to feed the money pit either way.

First thing to do is dump that oil quickly. Pull the intake first and see if it is the gasket. If not, get ready to pull the heads. Speculating at this point is a waste of time. The answer is right in front of you as soon as you pull it down.

time for a leak down test...

-or-

remove the plugs, pressurize the cooling system and see if you can find the leak.

Putting the car back together now. Found passenger side hg blown.
Got to figure out why this happened. I always check kr after every run and have seen nothing Sometimes I'll get false knock shifting into 3rd but that it.

....... Found passenger side hg blown.

Got to figure out why this happened. I always check kr after every run and have seen nothing Sometimes I'll get false knock shifting into 3rd but that it......

Over the years I have replaced many head gaskets, and even engines, caused by alky injection and all the owners have said no KR was present? :confused:

Lots of owners have also made this statement on the board as long as I can remember, so it should be obvious by now you cannot tune on KR alone with alky injection or e-85 as well.

I do not have a scientific answer why this is true, but it is. o_O

My opinion is that detonation is "bypassed" and the mixture immediately goes to pre-ignition and causes instant damage.

The catastrophic damage may not happen the first time pre-ignition is present, but shortly down the line, a major failure will show its ugly head.

A further opinion is there may not enough fuel present at the higher boost levels when injecting alky as more fuel, or higher octane fuel, is needed when more HP is being developed. Injected alky is in the combustion process to cool the charge to delay detonation and it then allow more boost/HP to a limit.

Couple things I do know is that it takes air and fuel to make HP, and also it takes about 3 times as much pure alky to make the same HP as race fuel. ;)

apropos to nicks statement, when i signifocantly turned down the amount of alky i use the car picked up mph, and detonated less.

the same goes for ignition timing on alky :)

How much abuse did that gasket take prior to adding alky? That is always forgotten. Its time was limited, hope you did both sides!

That's kind of a loaded observation. Hot cars can blow gaskets easier than lower hp 'stock' engines. They just aren't the ragged edge of sealing and parts stress. You can detonate the crap out of a stock engine for yeas and it'll keep on trucking. A stout engine might only take one detonation event to blow it to bits. You'll never see a stock engine blown to bits spraying tons of akly because there's no reason to. Plus most engines get modified and then alky is installed.

With that setup, the only time you'll see that kind of carnage is with a hotter build. I do agree it's possible to spray too much alky and slow down, but the same can be said about spraying too much fuel.

What was the ambient temp when you last ran the car before noticing the antifreeze in the oil? Alky doesnt like to vaporize below 70*......

Bryan

The last time the car was out outside temp was around 76.
It's funny I just put the alky kit on two weeks ago and this all happened
I really thought I was tuning very safe with 10 on my wide band under wot and absolutely no knock in any gear
I'm still running a 93 chip set for 16 to 18 lbs boost
I also took a few degrees of timing out when I started to crank the boost up just to be safe and was going to slowly increase timing and trim some fuel but never got to it before my head gaskets went
I did change both of them and knowing if they were already hurt I don't know. I haven't had the car long but it is a new build and was running on e85 when I got it. I changed it over do to the fact they don't sell e85 around delaware

Also the old head gaskets I pulled of were felpro 1000 I used the pt9441

I am running 93 with alky at 24 lbs boost

I really thought I was tuning very safe with 10 on my wide band under wot and absolutely no knock in any gear
I also took a few degrees of timing out when I started to crank the boost up just to be safe and was going to slowly increase timing and trim some fuel but never got to it before my head gaskets went

What chip are you running?? Was it burned for 93/alky??

I hope you're not running the E85 chip and inj. as you would be way rich and way retarded and that could pop a H/G.

You really should put your setup in your sig so people could be accurate with what they diagnose or recommend.

The last time the car was out outside temp was around 76.
I did change both of them and knowing if they were already hurt I don't know. I haven't had the car long but it is a new build and was running on e85 when I got it. I changed it over do to the fact they don't sell e85 around delaware

If your intercooler is doing its job, you were well under 70*

When I melted my engine a couple of years ago my intake air temp went from about 135* to 62* in under a half a second...Was a cool spring night and I should have turned down the boost and the ALKY. My boost controller went from a rock steady 22psi to well over 30psi...violent meltdown !!

Bryan

210/210 roller cam. Te44 turbo 2800 stall converter art car trans motor 30 over hot wire and new fuel pump and voltage booster. Rjc power plate and boost control. Lt1maf with translater. 80lb injectors stretch intercooler Scanmaster and wide band Stock heads that been gasket matched