converter stall for a te45a

Two T's

Long Time member
who out there is running a te45a and what stall speed are you using in process of rebuilding motor will have a well known shop in my area do it going to use the method recomended by members from gm hi tech jack merkel build and have him port my heads will use 210-215 roller from full throttle or 206-206 hydrolic have a as i can rember pats converter think it is a 3400 stall 9.5 inch lock up is that ok or should i use a different stall went with pats was recomended by brian hoffer:confused:
thanks
tom

3400 will get it done. 3800 if its a GTQ.

thanks bison appericiate input was hopeing would be good am going to have trans freshened wile car is down super servo slutches bans ect maby hardened shafts if funds work what is your oppinion on kahi's porting on heads herd from a few members that he dose a great job and and he can save me some money as champ ported irons out of reach right now what is your oppinion there
Thanks Tom

thanks bison appericiate input was hopeing would be good am going to have trans freshened wile car is down super servo slutches bans ect maby hardened shafts if funds work what is your oppinion on kahi's porting on heads herd from a few members that he dose a great job and and he can save me some money as champ ported irons out of reach right now what is your oppinion there
Thanks Tom
Khai does good work

3000 stall pts 9/11 here. I would say its understalled for a 231cid with the TE45a journal, but tight on the top end at full boost once its gets going-watch out!

At the recommendation of Dusty, I purchased a PTC 3000 stall non lockup unit. I'm also running a TE45a, 210/215 roller cam, and ported irons.

I haven't been to the track with the new converter but on the street my turbo spools just as well, if not better, than my old Pats 3400 lockup it replaced. Plus all around drivability was better from the lower stall.

I would talk to Dusty and see what he recommends.

Just like Rodney87GN said.

With the TE-45A I prefer to use my 9.5 non lock. Those turbos need a good bit of stall to get going. I can put a 3000-3200 stall 9.5 in them and they will come up nicely without having that loose feel.

With the 10" converters I'd have to go with a 3400 stall and they will not mph like the 9.5 would.

Dusty, was having troble off the line even at 5lbs of boost but got better when went back n checked waste gate rod got alot better but still just a little hesitation when im in it mid n top end pulls real hard love the 45a. last summer had at track but only had reg radial tires 60 ft 2.3 or so mph usually 107-108 on hwy at 60mph blow by z06's no problem when my te44 was on car off the line could not keep tires on it want to stay lock up for travling out of state for car events what do you think

Dusty, was having troble off the line even at 5lbs of boost but got better when went back n checked waste gate rod got alot better but still just a little hesitation when im in it mid n top end pulls real hard love the 45a. last summer had at track but only had reg radial tires 60 ft 2.3 or so mph usually 107-108 on hwy at 60mph blow by z06's no problem when my te44 was on car off the line could not keep tires on it want to stay lock up for travling out of state for car events what do you think
Tom,

Since you already have a 3400 9.5" L/U converter I would get the rest of the car back together and then we can start from there on tunning it. The tune also has a part in the spool, It's not all converter!

Let me know when it's back together or even if you need help on that too and I will make the trip up to help. If your still stuck on getting a converter after that, then I think we have the right converter for you but I would see what happens with the New engine/combination first and then go from there.

Unfortunatley when using the lock-up converter, they are all going to feel the same. There's no way to have it much looser down low without giving up something up top. It's a trade off with all of them. You need 400 rpm down low to help spool, your going to give up 400 up top. That's just the nature of the pieces you have to work with. Best case scenario I've seen when playing with the stators is 100-200 rpm more stall down low and loosing from 0-100 rpm up top. So it's never a real noticeable change.

If you like the top end pull of the 45a but need a quicker spool you will most likely need to swap to a turbo that spools easier. Something like Precisions 67 65 with the DBB option. Same or more power capability but easier to spool.

Since you know what your car needs. I can restall what you have and TRY to get more stall rpm out of it down low. Since I don't know the details of what you have, I can't say if it's a definate possibility. It's one of those things where you'd have to open it up and see what there is to work with.