PTC Converter 9.5 help..

434nova

There is a 9.5 ptc converter for sale locally. Here is the info on the converter if anyone can tell me what these numbers mean I would appreciate it. He said it stalled to 3200 @ 0 psi. Looking to see if this converter would work with my combo. Here are the numbers on the converter. 9.5 - 700 - 27 - 18 - 0 - SL - SBP .

I currently have a old school art carr 9.5 3200 stall non lock up converter.
My combo is 235 ci , gn1 heads ported , te45a turbo , 3 inch Terry Houston downpipe, 72 # injectors , alky control , stock headers , 206 billet roller cam , 3.50 gears , 275 60 15 drag radials , car made 560 rwhp on 25#s of boost.

PTC 95 700 27 18 0 ST SBP this is the number on my converter. So the only difference is the SL part. Not sure what that is

For many years the TE-45A has been our main choice for a killer street turbo, and a low 10 sec. or better strip car!

The converter which we find works best for this turbo is a 3600-3800 NL small converter like 9" to 10" size. Any less stall will not work well.

This set up is what I have on one of my street cars to "impress" my new customers, and if you want excellent response at low end, a Garrett exhaust housing is the only way to go! :)

My Hughes Performance 10" 3800 stall NL converter cost was $650.

Boost231i can't see your combo from my phone , but with the info I gave what's your thoughts on this converter for my combo vs the old art carr I have.

Nick curious what kind of times were you running with that Hughes converter and te45a turbo.

My buddy ran a 10.2 in his Limited and TE-45A, Hughes converter, a built 3.8, GN1 heads, and he has the AC working in the staging lane on hot days!

Just curious nick how does that stall drive on street ,the 3600 that is ,does it have pretty good manners.

Just curious nick how does that stall drive on street ,the 3600 that is ,does it have pretty good manners.

Come by and drive it, you will like it!

It is awesome on the street.

If the converter is tight for the turbo, you cannot get traction worth a damn, there needs to be some "slip" before the converter couples.

Too loose is not good either as the engine/turbo winds up too quick and the car is not accelerating as fast as it should.

I usually do not tell the customer the specs on a new build and converter until he drives the car, as most owners are afraid of what they think is high stall would not be good for them?

There is a 9.5 ptc converter for sale locally. Here is the info on the converter if anyone can tell me what these numbers mean I would appreciate it. He said it stalled to 3200 @ 0 psi. Looking to see if this converter would work with my combo. Here are the numbers on the converter. 9.5 - 700 - 27 - 18 - 0 - SL - SBP .

My combo is 235 ci , gn1 heads ported , te45a turbo , 3 inch Terry Houston downpipe, 72 # injectors , alky control , stock headers , 206 billet roller cam , 3.50 gears , 275 60 15 drag radials , car made 560 rwhp on 25#s of boost.
That's an 18 blade, that's perfect for a te45A , I used a 17blade on a 67mm and it was quick spooling, but I have real good heads.

The PTC is most likely spragless and not good for the street since it heats the fluid too much. The Art carr you have has a sprag and will stay cool for the street. IMO if your wanting more stall. Pull yours and send it the Art at CPT and get it restalled.

I'm looking to upgrade to a 6768 turbo in the future and would like to get a converter once. What's better a converter with more or less blades ?

I believe I have the same converter you are inquiring about in my car now.. see combo in signature. Drives nice, is a couple hundred rpms looser vs the 17 blade. spools 6765 dbb nicely.. your TE45a is likely slightly slower to spool, but will be fine...

Mine's spragless, I don't take trans temps, but my fluid continues to look new and it's hot here in south texas.. put a BIG tranny cooler on it and don't drive it stupid.

friend on mine has a combo real close to yours with a little more cam and with a ptc 18 blade he goes low 10's and drives the car everywhere.

How much do you drive the car and do you like how it drives with the A/C converter? How much is he wanting for the ptc as if it needs a re-stall the total cost could equal what a new one from dusty would run you. Do you intend to race the car or is it more a street cruiser?......I have an PTC 18 blade on my set up and here is what it stalls at for me 5#boost=3600, 8#=3800, and 10#=4050......If you do not drive the car a lot I would not even worry about the ptc not having a sprag mine would run right at 200 on a 90*+ day after it had some drive time on it but I rarely drive the car much less on scorching hot days...I have run the art carr in the past and it worked good on the street with a 45 turbo but the PTC is a superior converter at the race track coupling up much better on the top end. ptc95-700-27-18-0. curious as to what the sl st sbp means as well....PM dusty bradford on here he will help you figure it out....

He's asking 525 for the converter. He said it has roughly 300 miles on it. I asked why he is changing and he said he wants something more streetable. Our combos are similar except he has champion irons and 6262 journal bearing turbo. Really don't drive it all that much but would like to drive it a 100 miles if needed. Also I feel I would a need a ptc converter if I ever want to get into the 9s, from what I have been told , the art carr just can't couple the power on top end. I have no issues driving the art carr on the street it's a good converter for that.

Also I feel I would a need a ptc converter if I ever want to get into the 9s, from what I have been told , the art carr just can't couple the power on top end.
its not that you cant run 9's with the ac,you are just slipping the power away as you go down the track.inmo leaving the track aside on the street below 90mph if 2 cars with the same combos similar traction but one has a ptc vs ac the race would be close keep going and you will quickly see where the ac falls way off and this gets worse with the more power you make.as far as drivability the ptc drives better inmo if the combo is right.