Confused about modding car ... current situation ---

alwayscode390

Here is my story ... bought the car 3 years ago. About 90 miles into the purchase the car would leave me stranded after a short drive. I left it alone and told myself I would tear it apart and install all new stuff. I never touched it.

It wouldnt start ... which seems like a hot starter solenoid from the downpipe? I feel this way because I would leave the car alone and come back ... and it would start up SOMETIMES. The thing that gets me, is if I left the car alone for a week and tried to start it , it wouldnt start sometimes ... and sometimes it would (so maybe its NOT heat related or the starter is all gummed up from getting hot before). By not starting, I mean NOTHING ... not even a click when I turned the ignition.

CURRENT MODS TOLD TO ME BY LAST OWNER (hot rod shop that got it in for a trade, so they only know what they did to it really or what they were told by last owner):

Razor Meth Kit, KN Cone Filter, tune by last owner, Flowmaster 3" Exhaust with cat delete . Edelbrock Performer RPM (204/214)cam/lifter/springs/timing chain set, MSD 50 lb injectors, Scan master, Boost/Pyro/Fuel pressure guages, Manual fan switch override, Fuel pressure regulator (adjustable), msd Coil Pack and ignition module, MAF translator with LT1 maf, adjustable wastegate actuator, rebuilt stock turbo (15k on it), and a stock replacement starter (15k on it...cheap autozone).

CURRENT MAINTENANCE STUFF REPLACED:

Crank Sensor, MSD plug wires, AC Delco Plugs, Misc Vaccum lines, fittings, and breathers, Valve cover gaskets, and TPS sensor.

I havent had much time to investigate the car to see if it really has this stuff ... I dont know if I would notice an adjustable wastegate vs a non-adjustable. I dont even know if the stock ones arent adjustable, lol.

The last owner ran Alky and told me it was tuned at 21psi at one point. I want the Alky kit taken off ... it shows "empty" all the time and I dont know if it works anymore. I dont want to run something I have to fill and keep an eye on.

I keep getting caught up in the "well I dont know whats been done to it so why not start my own new build" ... when I should be in the "get it running right , the way it is ... and then mod if I mod at all ". I guess I am stubbing my toes because I am worried about buying parts it already has ... or installing stuff and then replacing it soon ( chip tunes , 255 pump? , ect )

1. Getting a Turbo Tweak chip for my cars mods (50# injectors, cam) at a higher boost level ... can I run 18lbs with 93 octane?

2. Swapping out the starter ... fixing the NO - START ISSUE , and taking out the Razor alky kit.

3. Swapping out the Flowmaster for a Magnaflow muffler.

4. Installing a Universal Magnaflow 13" long Cat Converter (3" in / 3" out) ... or should I get a 2 1/2" in from the downpipe (is that the stock dp size?) to 3" out to the exhaust? (I need a cat to pass visual emissions here)

5. Installing a 255 pump (im thinking it may already have one if it has the Adjustable fuel pressure regulator) ... but I dont want to guess, this is a mod that HAS to be done, right?

6. Making sure it has an AFPR and adjustable wastegate. Can I take pics and you guys tell me? Adjusting for the new tune.

7. Then enjoying the car and learning to read Scanmaster.

Do I need to run a MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER? It may have one, where do I find it?

All this stuff will be installed at one time, so I dont run it when it needs something.

What type of performance can you get from a car with my mods (cam, 18lbs chip, and 3" catback)?

Sorry for the in-depth post but I am pretty desperate to get the car running well ... I even tried selling it these past 3 months and really dont want to do that.

THANKS FOR THE TIME AND ADVICE/HELP
smile1.gif
---

I dont want to run something I have to fill and keep an eye on.

If that's your attitude towards it you probably shouldn't have a modified car. You always have to keep an eye on things. Maybe you shouldn't even have a car at all actually. You have to do pesky things like put gas in it and keep an eye on the fuel gauge to make sure you don't run out. And sometimes you even have to get the oil changed!

In all seriousness though I would probably throw a thread out there in your geographic forum and see if there is anyone near you who can help you out. Most guys on here don't mind lending a hand to a fellow turbobuick brother.

Before worring about everything else, first figure out the no start situation. You are fixated on the started itself but it could be bunch of other things. You need to clearify if you mean it won't crank or it won't fire. The starter could have a dead spot in it but you may have a wiring issue or both. Spend some quality time with a wiring diagram and a volt meter to make sure you are getting voltage to everything that needs to get it when you turn the key to "start".

Thanks Pronto

I mean it wont crank.

Where is the MAP located so I can see if there is a 3-bar installed already. Im guessing it is if the guy was running 21lbs at one point, BUT that could just be a "rumor" too ... I appreciate it :) ---

*So you dont need a 3 bar map to push over the stock amount of boost when you are running a MAF with translator?
---Sorry for being ignorant ... it makes sense to me, because a Syclone doesnt use a MAF and needs a 3 bar map to run over 15lbs boost; this translator is totally new to me.

*There is a fuel pressure gauge on the manifold under the hood and its showing pressure even from 3 years ago ... I dont think its a fuel pump issue. The car wont turn over , or engage the starter / crank over. It wont even "click click click".

The Alky control kit comes with a 3 bar MAP sensor so that is why that's there.
Here's some reading.

Attachments

• sec06-d.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 244
Ahhh, the Alky kit uses the 3 Bar Map to read when you are in boost?

I didnt realize it only sprayed when you were in boost. I may reconsider using it again...and even get one for the Syclone.

I will read that , thanks a bunch!!! :) ---

*So you dont need a 3 bar map to push over the stock amount of boost when you are running a MAF with translator?
---Sorry for being ignorant ... it makes sense to me, because a Syclone doesnt use a MAF and needs a 3 bar map to run over 15lbs boost; this translator is totally new to me.

*There is a fuel pressure gauge on the manifold under the hood and its showing pressure even from 3 years ago ... I dont think its a fuel pump issue. The car wont turn over , or engage the starter / crank over. It wont even "click click click".

SORRY ..MISREAD .. JETLAG.OR BRAIN DAMAGE .

Ahhh, the Alky kit uses the 3 Bar Map to read when you are in boost?

I didnt realize it only sprayed when you were in boost. I may reconsider using it again...and even get one for the Syclone.

I will read that , thanks a bunch!!! :) ---
It's a progressive controller. It starts spraying lightly about 8lbs boost and then ramps up. The alky chip removes fuel too so if you don't run alky in the system it will run lean. You have to add fuel with the chip if the alky is turned off. Lots of info in that too here...

Don't forget the ignition switch could be worn out too.