Computer guys: P4 vs. Athlon vs. Celeron processors

GN One Day...

Is there any noticeable difference in these, or is reliability a problem?
In the next while I'm hoping to buy a new computer, and I'm seeing a price difference in the same computer setup where the only main difference seems to be these processors. All 2.4 ghz. I realize there is probably some difference in speed, but I'll be moving up from PII 400 mhz, so they'll all be an improvement. Is this really something I need to worry about?

Generally, a Celeron is a P4 with less cache*
MHz is not a good way to rate the speed of a processor. AMD has 2.2 GHz processors that are as fast as a 3.2 GHz P4

AMD's tend to run hotter and consume more power; yet they're siginifantly cheaper.

I have AMD's in most of my home computers and really don't have any complaints.

*Cache - A CPU's "internal memory". In a normal world, the CPU has to grab instructions from the RAM and then process it. This takes a considerable amount of time (in the nanosecond world). So if the program can be cached in the CPU, it will run significantly faster. So more cache is almost always better.

WOW that was one heck of an answer!

For my home I bought a low pice $399/ model name.
( I won't say because i don't want to not start computer wars)

It has a celeron, Plays the kids games fine & all other stuff.
I have had it 1 year now.

I would say if you are doing some heavy duty processing
& software GO 4 the absoulute BEST top you can afford.

I have an AMD Athlon 900mhz. I have no complaints either. Upgraded 3 years ago from a P75 first generation. You talk about a difference from a horse to a GN running on Alky:D No heating problems with mine with proper case fans and CPU fan even when I choose to overclock the CPU.
The speed can be affected by the caching as granatl said. If you have caching on the chip then it doesn't have to access the RAM thus speeding up the process. Even though I am running a 900Mhz I don't need anything faster. But that is just me.;)

Drew

I have used it all and I really must say that AMD is the best. If you are just using your computer to surf and type papers then go Celeron. If you use your computer for gameing then deffenently go for the AMD. I have a 1.5 GHz with 1 GB of RAM and have never had any problems playing any game I want too. After a 1 GHz processor I just think you are overkilling it. You don't need a mainframe for your house, but some people want that.

Unless you are a serious gamer or do a lot of video editing then you will probably not be able to tell any difference between any of the processors available with all else being the same. If you do do alot of gaming or video editing then you shouldn't be buying a prebuilt computer anyways.

If you go out and buy a Dell (just for example) for $499 and a year later it isn't fast enough, you can buy another one for $499 that will be just as fast as the one you would have spent $1499 a year before and then you will have 2 working computers sitting there for $998. If you are like 95% of the computer users then you really don't need anything ultrafast and shouldn't waste your money on the "latest and greatest" as it will be outdated sooner than you think.

I would get the AMD. HOWEVER make sure it is a + processor (ie 2400+, 3000+, 3200+) The plus means the processor is a 64 bit processor. The P4 will run faster than an AMD but only runs at 32 bit. So what does this mean? Lets look at a highway...

P4: The P4 is like an information highway. Say it is two lanes (northbound and southbound). The speed limit is 65mph. So the information travels at 65 mph and transfers more information than a two lane highway with a 55mph speed limit.

AMD: The AMD + is like a 4 lane highway with the slower 55 mph speed limit. The speed is slower but it still transfers more information. A recent test with an AMD 3200+ (2.4 ghz i think) OUTPERFORMED Intel's top of the line 3.2 Ghz P4 even though it was 800mhz slower!

Get the AMD. Its the best bang for the buck!

BOOSTD

granatl,
You're right on the mark. As stated the AMD can have a lower ghz process and still surpass a P4 in performance. Look at the benchmark testing that PCWorld offers. You'll see many AMD equipped computers smoking the P4's. Some will have the same ghz and beat the P4 or they may have less and beat the P4. There are some areas where the P4 outshines the AMD's. Program calling and and business applications is where the AMD's lagged behind. Gaming and graphic speed and emulation speed were the AMD's strong suit.
AMD fielded the 64bit first and as granatl said,"+ does not mean 64-bit".
Here is a current link to PC World show a 2.2ghz AMD and a 3.2Ghz P4. See which one was rated higher and why?

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,113751,00.asp

Drew

This information is exactly what I was looking for. BIG help. I'm looking at the Dell refurb's but also a piece together system at another site. There's a lot in the general range I need since I've got the monitor and peripheral stuff. I'm not a gamer, but would like the ability to do so and maybe some other stuff that I haven't considered since my computer is so outdated.

Thanks again, that is just what I needed to learn. :D

Well, I do have 1 more question.

Last year I upgraded my video card to a GeForce4 MX 420. Can I swap this into the new one and not hold back the computer? You never know what will come up on the Dell deal, if I go another route, I can get a basic card and still swap it in.

OK, my mistake, I thought the "+" meant 64-bit. Anyhow, make sure you get a 64 bit, you wont be disapointed.

Dells are kind of funny. To save money they often use lower end mother boards (hp and compaq do this too). One of the big cost cutters is to get rid of the video card and run integrated graphics. Since they are running integrated graphics, they take out the AGP slot (where your G card connects into your motherboard). DO NOT GET A COMPUTER WITHOUT AN AGP SLOT IF YOU PLAN ON PLAYING GAMES ON YOUR COMPUTER!!

Your GF4 will work fine in your new computer but just make sure the refabed computer has an AGP slot. If it doesnt have one, you wont be able to install your graphics card.

BOOSTD

I'd say go P4. But it all depends on your use of the computer. Seeing that your going from a p2, your not really a power user so go with whatever is a good deal.

I went from a 2600+ to a P4 2.4c processor (800mhz fsb) and there was a noticable diffrence in speed. I use photoshop and a bunch of desk top publishing applications along with programming and database stuff. The P4 also overclocked to 3ghz no problem.

I would suggest upgrading yoru G-card if you have an extra $150 laying arround. ATI 9600 pro's are REALY good cards at a great price...

BOOSTD

Intel for servers AMD for workstations/home PC

I manage over 100 Intel based servers, great performance but I can't see spending that kind of $$$ for a home system. My workstaions and home computers run AMD XP procs. Make sure you get higher quality DDR and you shouldn't have a problem. This is the kind of thing I put in my home boxes (2 qty) One runs XP Pro w/1 gig ddr the other runs 2003 SmallBusinessServer w/756 MB ddr and 5 40 gig drives. I know many gamers rush to purchase the fastest machine but its like having an eb110 doing 65 mph like the rest of us (on the internet). If raw performance is what you're after, I would go with the dual P4 systems or AMD 64s. If you want a cheap but stable home system go with a cheaper$$ AMD XP system. Put the extra money in your buick:)

EX... http://www.tufshop.com/store/product543.html

This sounds like the same type of computer I bought that you are looking for. I bought a Refurb Dell in 9/03 with a 2.2 P4, 128 mb ram, cd burner, 40 gig hd, etc for $400 shipped to my door. I had a monitor already so it was right for me. I did however upgrade to 640 mb ram since the computer was slow, now it zips around. The memory cost me $50 after rebate & best buy had free installation, which didn't void the warranty. After the memory & hi speed netzero, it works great and was cheaper than any other deal i saw.

I've seen a lot of good deals on the Dell site, some better than the following, but I saved this setup. Pretty much what I have in mind although 512memory is fine as long as I can upgrade later. This is a pretty commong deal with the Celeron:

Dell Dimension 2400 Micro-Tower: Intel® Celeron Processor at
2.40GHz with 400MHz FSB, Integrated Audio/ Video/NIC
Microsoft® Windows XP Home
System Price $838.00
Promotion Discount ($175.00)
Discounted Price $663.00

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows XP Home
Memory: 1 GB 333MHz NON-ECC SDRAM
Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
Hard Disk Drive: 120 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200
RPM)
Modem: 56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! Digital Sound
Card
CD ROM Drive: 48X Max Variable CD-ROM Drive
DVD Drive: 4X DVD+RW/+R with CD-RW

My other option is at this site. A little out there in appearance, but a lot of build options so I could strip down in some areas. Looking at the $403 base and build up some from there, this is where the Athlon is:

http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm

Any feedback on this site?

Sounds like you got a great package deal there. Your 400Mhz on the FSB is good for speed! Good luck with this if you purchase it. Dell is #1 for tech support!:D

Drew