Comp springs WTF????

The Comp 26926 have an inside diameter of .654.
The PAC 1203s have an inside diameter of .624
for a difference of .030

It would be a close call.

There are viton seals out there that have the
thin steel body that might fit. Otherwise just don't run seals on the exhaust.

I pulled the #3 cylinder valve springs off this morning to measure. The seals measure .575 at the widest point. The locators I have measure .660 for the spring I.d. I would defiantly need new locators to fit the ID of the spring.

It looks like with the PAC 1203s (.624 id) there would be:

.624-.575=.049/2= .0245 around the seal.

That's pretty tight. Does anyone know how much clearance is needed there?

Looking at the viton seals from Comp for a .530 guide diameter, .575 is the narrowest available

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cca-518-16

BEATAV8 said:
Expect a little bit of smoke like that or maybe not so much?
Running a cast guide with a K-liner on the exhaust now. Teflon seal.

thanks!

Stock used nothing and no smoke.'if your guides have more clearance you may see a puff at startup but that's it.

Thanks Bison, I think I'm going to go ahead and try this set up with the 885 lifters and PAC1203 springs. Just need to get with my machinist / builder and get it all sorted out and determine if I can do it on the car or if the heads need to come off.

I'm running that 215/220 cam (.517/.530 lift) with 125# seat and 345# over the nose. Car is making a slapping/banging noise and setting off the knock sensor at WOT high RPM, and it just absolutely refuses to clean up. I got something wrong and it appears the spring pressure may be it.

BEATAV8 said:
Thanks Bison, I think I'm going to go ahead and try this set up with the 885 lifters and PAC1203 springs. Just need to get with my machinist / builder and get it all sorted out and determine if I can do it on the car or if the heads need to come off.

I'm running that 215/220 cam (.517/.530 lift) with 125# seat and 345# over the nose. Car is making a slapping/banging noise and setting off the knock sensor at WOT high RPM, and it just absolutely refuses to clean up. I got something wrong and it appears the spring pressure may be it.

This is pretty much the same thing I have going on. Just need to know if .0245 is enough clearance between the seal and the spring.

With a .500 guide the viton seals OD measure .546.

.624-.546=.078/2=.039

There is .0145 more room with the .500 guide vs. the .530 guide.

This is pretty much the same thing I have going on. Just need to know if .0245 is enough clearance between the seal and the spring.

With a .500 guide the viton seals OD measure .546.

.624-.546=.078/2=.039

There is .0145 more room with the .500 guide vs. the .530 guide.

I would be OK with running w/o a seal on the exhaust, but will definitely look into what else is out there like the thin viton seal Bison mentioned.

BEATAV8 said:

The 1203's are overkill for that. I run 26120 conical when it's less than ..550 lift. Last year I ran an old set of 941's that were about 145 on the seat with .330 lobe/1.65 rocket and it was fine up to 5900.

BEATAV8 said:
I would be OK with running w/o a seal on the exhaust, but will definitely look into what else is out there like the thin viton seal Bison mentioned.

Looking at the dimensions and doing some math I come up with a seal that is .0224 thick for the .530 guide. That's pretty thin. I wonder if there is something thinner. I don't want to pull the heads on mine nor do i want to use the Comp springs again.

The 1203's are overkill for that. I run 26120 conical when it's less than ..550 lift. Last year I ran an old set of 941's that were about 145 on the seat with .330 lobe/1.65 rocket and it was fine up to 5900.
Looks like the 26120 would be about 30lbs heavier than what I have now. If that will do the job, awesome!

Can the extra 30lbs of load make all the difference? I have been keeping it under 6000RPM for the most part.

Also, I have 853 lifters in it now. Will they be OK to keep when using a spring like the 26120?

thanks!

BEATAV8 said:
Looks like the 26120 would be about 30lbs heavier than what I have now. If that will do the job, awesome!

Can the extra 30lbs of load make all the difference? I have been keeping it under 6000RPM for the most part.

Also, I have 853 lifters in it now. Will they be OK to keep when using a spring like the 26120?

thanks!

I've had zero problems running more lift than you with those. I don't run 853 lifters. I doubt it would matter with those springs though. The only hyd lifter i use is 885 unless the engine had something else prior but I've never ran a fast ramp high lift with 853's

After talking with Rick at Precision Engine, it looks like the PAC 1201 might be a good choice for me.

With my 1.735 installed height, the PAC 1201 would put me at 147lb on the seat. 22lb more than what I have now.
At max lift (.530) I would be at 408lb over the nose, 63lb more than what I have now.

The 1201's are rated for .550 max lift, and I would be .090 from coil bind.
Plus these springs would be a drop-in with all my current hardware.

BEATAV8 said:
After talking with Rick at Precision Engine, it looks like the PAC 1201 might be a good choice for me.

With my 1.735 installed height, the PAC 1201 would put me at 147lb on the seat. 22lb more than what I have now.
At max lift (.530) I would be at 408lb over the nose, 63lb more than what I have now.

The 1201's are rated for .550 max lift, and I would be .090 from coil bind.
Plus these springs would be a drop-in with all my current hardware.

You could shim them at least .030 more and not have coil bind issues. The lift is theoretical on a hyd.

Stock used nothing and no smoke.'if your guides have more clearance you may see a puff at startup but that's it.

Interesting. What kind of power is needed to when a seal may be necessary on the exhaust side?

Interesting. What kind of power is needed to when a seal may be necessary on the exhaust side?
I don't think power would matter much. Just valve guide clearance, and to much lesser extent the style of crankcase ventillation.

Is .0245 enough side clearance between the ID of the sprig and the OD if the seal?????

i run the old school 914's on gn1's so far so good with 500lift but just swapped to 511.
they are shimmed but have not measured.

jpwalt1987 said:
Is .0245 enough side clearance between the ID of the sprig and the OD if the seal?????

If the springs were stable it is. Mine were very close but no problem.