Comp cams roller lifter noise

I have one lifter that will bled down after sitting for just a few hours. :mad:. Go anywhere and it sounds like I have 200k on the engine. I can't wait to replace them and will NEVER buy another set.

Assuming you have a LED knock sensor...after bleeding down does the lifter set off your knock sensor? I think I have the same issue but my take a day to bleed down.

I checked everything today and set the pre-load at 50 thousands and changed the oil to valvoline vr1 20-50 and it stopped the noise. Still sounds like a sewing machine and I dont have the loud clacking noise. I can live with that. After the motor warms up to operating temp my oil pressure is at 28lbs. A big thank you turbo nasty!!:D

Glad it helped

Roler valvetrain...Roller rockers, Roller lifters, etc

IME whether it be a roller BBC, SBC, BBM, SBM, Etc they sound that away

Correct me if wrong but don't most newer engines have roller lifters, etc??

If yes, why are they quiet and ours like "sewing machines"??

Bob

Bob

The ramps on the factory cams are not as aggressive as the high performance after market cams.

Sure appreciate the responses but what is it that is actually causing the "sewing machine" noise?? If the roller is following the cam lobe should be no noise...and I'm struggling to understand why a roller rocker (always in contact with the valve) would make any noise??

The link on the lifters could rattle a bit, but other than that seems unless high rpm no-follow I don't understand why an aggressive cam lobe will cause noise. Are modern lifters jointed together with similar links??

But I certainly hear it...lol

I thought back on the 24th the original problem was solved and now the issue is "tolerable" sewing machine noise...

Never my intention to hijack...thought my "what causes the sewing machine" noise was a logical extension.

InHock...my apologies if you felt I was hijacking.

Bob

Hey keep it going, I would like to know the answer to that also! I have tryed to figure that out to. I have a rock crawler jeep[see sig] and it is does not make any noise and it has a roller setup also. So someone tell us the answer to this. Thanks

Bob

How about this theory, I think the noise is the lifter collapsing under valve spring load when its on the upstroke of the lobe ramp. Maybe someone can due a study with varying preload settings. The valving in the lifter probably can't react fast enough to properly create the hydraulic lock needed to self adjust. If the internal lifter clearance is minimized, it becomes more like a solid lifter but still retains some of the hydraulic adjustment/dampening. I run my solid with fairly tight lash, about .014/.016 and it's not all that noisy. Maybe the same principle can be done with the hydraulic lifter. I'm not talking about adding lash to the hyd. lifter but adjusting the valvetrain to minimize the internal plunger travel to the .014/.016 level. Just a thought...
Another source of noise can be that after the hyd lifter is moving up the ramp and the plunger starts to collaps under spring load, there would be a fair amount of clearance in the system when the lifter approaches base circle. The lifter will not refill untill its fully unloaded. There may be oportunity for lifter bounce and/or no follow. Remember that most performance lifters have a larger amount of bleed-down for the anti pump up feature. I bet a stock style roller lifter would be less noisy but would be RPM limited.
Allan G.

The noise comes from the lifter contacting the ramp on the cam. Cams with very aggressive profiles (steep angle ramps) will make more noise than a mild cam (shallow angle ramps). This contact angle and profile is what produces the noise.

The noise comes from the lifter contacting the ramp on the cam. Cams with very aggressive profiles (steep angle ramps) will make more noise than a mild cam (shallow angle ramps). This contact angle and profile is what produces the noise.

I would disagree. The lifter should be in contact at all times and therefore no noise from this area. If there is a no contact scenario, then issues are with the insufficient spring load or collapsed lifter. Either way, it would be defective parts or poor selection of components.
Allan G.

I have had a Comp 210-210 roller cam in my car. When it was first in the car, it was too clicky so my engine builder replaced the pushrods with slightly longer ones and it has been quiet... almost nearly like stock... for the past 6 years.

I would disagree. The lifter should be in contact at all times and therefore no noise from this area. If there is a no contact scenario, then issues are with the insufficient spring load or collapsed lifter. Either way, it would be defective parts or poor selection of components.
Allan G.

I never said the lifter looses contact with the cam. When the lifter moves from the base circle of the cam to the ramp that is called the contact area. The steeper the angle of the ramp the more noise will be produced. I design cams for manufacturing equipment and the profile is very important in the reduction of noise.

I never said the lifter looses contact with the cam. When the lifter moves from the base circle of the cam to the ramp that is called the contact area. The steeper the angle of the ramp the more noise will be produced. I design cams for manufacturing equipment and the profile is very important in the reduction of noise.

I still disagree, Noise will not be produced from simply riding up a ramp. BTW, I also have extensive knowledge of cam designs in the automotive field since I worked for a company that designed overhead systems in the Heavy duty diesel market. Spent many hours/years behind a dyno with very sophisticated high speed equipment measuring valve motion and other parameters.
Allan G.

"The steeper the angle of the ramp the more noise will be produced."

I agree with Turbo Bitt...a roller rolling up the cam lobe shouldn't make any noise IMO...if I am wrong please explain what it is that causes the noise??

Bob

Well, I believe turbo bitt at least has a good explanation and he may be right. But, I am like the others about the lifters being in contact with the cam at all times and should not be making the ticking noise.I once had a small block chevy with a roller setup with a bigger cam in it than in my GN and it did not make the noises that my car does now. So, turbo bitt, tell me why? Keep the thread going!!