Comp cams roller lifter noise

InHock

I just rebuilt my motor and installed a 210-215 extreme cam and comp. cam roller lifters. Now I have about 200 miles on the motor and have lifter noise bad!. I set the pre-load the way I was told. After I drive the car and bring it up to normal temp of 160 to 180 degress and the oil pressure will drop to about 20 lbs and it starts clacking. I can give it just a little throttle off of idle and it quits cause the oil pressure will go back up.Has anyone had this same trouble? I am using castrol syntec 10w30. Do I need to go to a different oil or what? I have checked the oil for signs of a spun rod bearing but do not see any metal at all. What do I need to do to stop this or do I just live with it?

Turbo nasty, thanks for the quick reply! Have you had this problem and if you did,does it stop the noise? I ordered some zddplus but have not got it yet.

IMO a lil thicker oil will bump up the psi. Its a easy minimally invasive place to start.

FWIW and despite what many say. My car has had 20w50 since new in eth summer time and the original cam sensor is still in it with 183 plus k miles on it. So the deal of thick oil wearing out the cam sensor is hype IMO.

Im just saying

Also, Just primed and fired and brand new 109 with a CC rollercam, CC lifter, T&D rockers motor on 15w40 and ZDDP and the oil psi is 25 -30 at hot idle in gear.

The CC stuff have a sewing machine sound its gonna have it no doubt. It may take a lill getting used to.

You said preload "they way you weer told" what wa sthat?
.020, .040, etc?

Sorry, I cant tell you right now, I am not close to the shop where the car is. I have it wrote down on the paper work. I will look t-morrow and let you know. I talked to mike at full throttle and he told me he would work with me if I had a bad lifter,but he also said he didnt think that was my problem. He told me it might be rod bearings. I sure hope he is wrong,he scared the **** out of me when he said that!!!

man after all these threads about comp lifters, i don't wanna buy comp cam products. and i have heard that their customer service sucks.in about a month i will be in the market for a possible roller cam kit. but not COMP :eek:

If I had it to do over again, I would not put the comp lifters in either. I may get the chance to change them though if changing the oil does not stop the noise. I could put up with the sewing machine noise but mine is louder than that. Sounds like maybe one or two are the trouble,not all of them.

I run comps with no problems. They make a little noise on cold start but quiet down as soon as the oil pressure comes up. I have 20psi op warm at idle too.

Like already mentioned, how did you set pre-load?

My Comp Cam Lifters are quiet. Has some stick and cause problems but if there is nothing wrong with the lifters, it's the adjustment - your oil is fine, that additive is good stuff but it will not fix wrong.

Get it warmed up and check the adjustment again making sure you are on the base of each valve. Make sure the adjustment screw in the lock nut on the RR's is not too far off center - the oil path will get blocked if the push rods are not right.

I checked everything today and set the pre-load at 50 thousands and changed the oil to valvoline vr1 20-50 and it stopped the noise. Still sounds like a sewing machine and I dont have the loud clacking noise. I can live with that. After the motor warms up to operating temp my oil pressure is at 28lbs. A big thank you turbo nasty!!:D

I run a Comps 210/210 roller with T&D roller rockers and i have the sewing machine noise but its not bad at all. Running VR1 20w/50 too.

I'm suprised that Roller hasn't come in here and said somthing... we just talked about this the other day. He was amazed that mine were not making noise.. he's had all kinds of problems with them.
Glad that oil helped..
~Scott

I am also running the 210/215 I was running 20-50 VR1 oil but after the car sat for a few days in between driving I would have some clatter on startup. I changed to 10-30 VR-1 and that went away however my oil pressure did drop from about 20psi at idle down to 8-10 psi hot at idle.

I am running stock heads with stock rockers they have a little sewing machine noise but not much at all. I have about 4k miles on it now and just beat on it at the track a few weeks ago and no problems. I see a lot of people say they have issues with the comp rollers.....either some are bad or everyone sets up their pre-load a little different.

Since we are all here I started a trhead earlier but no replies......whats with this cam not pulling up on the Comp website?????? I have been trying to find the rpm range because it is not on the spec card?

I have comp roller lifters. I have one lifter that will bled down after sitting for just a few hours. :mad:. Go anywhere and it sounds like I have 200k on the engine. I can't wait to replace them and will NEVER buy another set.

I actually looked their first and then went to Comps site when I could not find it on the spec card?

Thanks

Amelio, Just call Mike at full throttle monday. He will be able to give you all the info you want to know about your cam. He is a good guy and will help you out. Good Luck!

Amelio, Just call Mike at full throttle monday. He will be able to give you all the info you want to know about your cam. He is a good guy and will help you out. Good Luck!

I will do so...I assume you do not know either being that we have the same cam....I am very pleased with the cam but curios to know about the rpm range since I was hitting my rev limiter at the track.

Thanks!

I did read the specs on the 210-215 camshaft somewhere. I really thought it was on the full throttle site.I will check it out and if I can find it again I will let you know with a pm.