Comments made about your car

I was at an outdoor thing one evening with a fire and such. I was leaving and some guy says, "nice car. Is that a Monte?" I said, "no, it's a turbo Buick." He said, "Are you sure?"

I had no response.

After hearing about somebody's uncles neighbors friend that had a twin turbo FBI high speed pursuit car................I built one.

Years ago I was in the final round for a big bracket shoot out and was doing my typical prep and out of the corner of my eye I see a guy counting plug wires............he then shouts....."That's a V6?!!!!". I had to laugh.
In the early days I had guys that HATED me because I would show up at the track with young kids in the back seat and jack it up, put 8" DOT tires on it and dump C-16 in the tank and proceed to WHOOP up on trailered Big Block powered cars. (Back in the late 80's early 90's). Then fast forward 25 yrs later and the same guys will come up and tell me how they have always loved the Turbo Buicks. Uhhhmmmmmm OK...........,sure you did.

If a 1957 Chevy pulled in the kid would faint. :eek:

1957_chevy_bel_air_convertible_fuel_door.jpg

My best one so far this summer is from the kid at the local gas station..."That is sooo cool you hid the gas thingy behind the license plate...nobody will ever look there!!!"
Reckon what he thinks win its in the trunk. Ha Ha

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

i had a guy today ask me if mine was one of the rare twin turbo grand nationals

I had one notice the roll cage in the car and asked if I had a big block in it. I told him they only came with V6's in them. He laughed and said why would you put a roll cage in a car with a V6.
I told him he didn't know anything. The guy is a know it all type. He then said my car would kick your ass in a race. I said "oh ya you think" he said ya I bet you $1500 on it.
I new his car and what it would run (mid 11's) mine 9's. I asked him if he wanted to race for titles. He got all red in the face. Then one of his buddies grabbed him and straightened him out.

He came back and apologized to me later and told me very beautiful car.

I have heard some many off the wall comments! I have put several here on the board but I will tell them again.

At a gas station....

Lady- That is a beautiful Monte Carlo!
Me- It's a Buick....
Lady- I didn't know Buick made Monte Carlos!

Wal-Mart parking lot waiting on the wife while she shopped.

Young kid- what engine do ya got in there?

Me- 3.8 V6

Kid- Man you should put a 350 in there!

Me- I don't want to make it slow.

Kid- Those 350's are fast.

Me- I give up you're right.

I got this one the other day at a red light...Hey is that a real one..i said no its a fake one..lol..then he said Yea i can tell my uncle has a real one they only made 300 in 89...His is real Monte Carlo not a clone... lol.. :facepalm:

I also got this one from a guy running open headers on a 89 z28 it was so loud i could barely hear him he said does she still have the twins? I said no single turbo but it has a new battery so it feels like twins :hungry:

I had a Black 87 T before the '84 GN and I used to get questions about the chrome bumpers. "Why would you take the black bumpers off of your Grand National?" Again like most of you, I just chuckle.

Nothing except the "reverent" nod of understanding for the '84 so far ... but then again I haven't had it that long.

Last edited:
At a show last year with buddy pulling in he has gn I have a silver turbo t...young know it all kid and his buddy were talking to each other kid asks what's that and know it all says the black ones a grand national and the silver ones a fake grand national...I just laughed and pulled to parking spot next to my buddy!

At a local show with the 86 TType talking to a few buddies a while back, when out of nowhere, one of the regulars with a stock rust junk V6 Camaro calls me out from a distance in public;

Him: I bet you can’t beat that Cadillac (Newer 2 door CTSV just pulled in.)
Me: How do you know that?
Him: I just know . . . .You should go race him right now on the freeway.
Me: Why would I want to do that?
Him: I just don’t think you stand a chance against that car.
Me: You want to bet some $$$ on that?
Him: I bet my car you can’t beat him.
Me: I don’t race for less than $300.
Him: (Crickets) . . . . walks away
My buddies are laughing their asses off.

We still laugh about that.

About 4 or 5 times over the last 2 summers I get, "do you know Frank Parvan"? then I hear about Frank and his twin turbo Buick GN. This guy must be a legend around here. Who the hell is Frank Parvan? Seriously, do any of you know Frank? Apparently he works at a tire store. This guy has left an impression on the local residents around here.

My wife gets mad at me when people say nice Monte or ask if it has a big block in it because I always agree with what ever they say. Does it have a big block in it?, Yes it does. Is that a three fitty? Yes it is. Is that a twin turbo? Yes sir. This makes my wife nuts, she wants me to take the time to correct them. Not going to happen. My car has had every engine you can think of with nitrous, twin turbos and big blocks. I don't get upset when people ask silly stuff, I just play along for the entertainment value.

At a show last year with buddy pulling in he has gn I have a silver turbo t...young know it all kid and his buddy were talking to each other kid asks what's that and know it all says the black ones a grand national and the silver ones a fake grand national...I just laughed and pulled to parking spot next to my buddy!

I have a line I use on my really stupid college kids...and they are plentiful.
I tell'em to go outside and follow the "Yellow Sidewalk" til it ends. At the end there is a BIG GREEN HOUSE. Knock on the door and when the funny looking guy answers, he's going to offer you 3 different gifts...take the brain!!!

Those guys crack me up. You hear some awesome shit at cruises. This one kids, neighbor's, friend's, grandma's, brother's bingo partner has a car just like mine...except is red...and a Ford...and a truck....
I'm lost for words after listening to shit like that. There is no comment or conversation that can take place after that is sent free floating into the atmosphere....Hahahahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard it all. Lately not so much though.

The mid 20's crowd I see typically know somwehat what they are looking at thanks to a few articles in Turbo magazine back in the day.

Highschool kids are completely fascinated when they see one for the first time.

I get lots of guys in their mid 40's coming to me and they share great stories about their first experiences in Turbo Buicks. Usually about the kid with Dad's stock GN that took out the nitrous fed IROC Z in highschool, the uncle who had one and gave him a ride, etc. This is one of the few cars in the world that leaves an everlasting impression in everyone's mind the first time they are really exposed to one. I know it did for me. Seriously think. You all remember your first ride in a TR. But when was the first time you saw or rode in a Corvette, Mustang, Chevelle, Camaro, or any other musclecar for that matter?? It's these guys that will make these cars shoot up in value 10 years from now.

The folks with the dumbass comments that I run into today are the guys who are into old school muscle and are in their 50's and 60's. They all hang onto the urban legends about these cars that were passed around in the 90's and they all know better than I do. For those guys, you just have to quietly agree so they move onto the next car.

Got a mid 20 something in the neighborhood who works at o reillys. He is building and 85 iroc. Being that he is a parts guy at o reillys you can imagine he knows everything.

My buddys over helping me remove the rear end out of my car and the o reilly guy calls him just to bs.

Asks what hes doing, my buddy responds we are putting a 9" rear end in my buick.

the next 5 minutes I heard my buddy explain on the phone yes its a v6, yes its fast, yes its built, no he doesn't have a recent track time, yes its faster than your Camaro, etc etc....

I was quite impressed with my friends response.