cometic,.reuseable ?

steve davis

quick 86
had my motor rebuilt by bryan weber a month ago.i have just blowen a head gasket.a/f was fine mid 11s if anything been on the fat side.i looked at my bill from weber i notice no charge for head gaskets.i ask brian if this common practice to reuse the cometics and he said yes ,thats what cometics recommendes.now my head gaskets are gone.is this common practice,help

If you're spraying ALKY Mid 11's is probably too lean :eek: Ask me how I know.... shoot for mid-upper 10's.
HTH, Scott
p.s. as far as I know, Cometics are reusable. How did they blow? I heard when they blow they often torch the head or deck.

water temp would creep up 185/190 then spike up to 230 and back down to 200,and repete the same pattern.no milk shke .its a small leak but still a leak. my question is all this money on a motor and reuse the head gaskets on a hugh boost car ?

Are you filling up the overflow after going high boost? You might want to try and do a retorque. A compression or leak-down test might give you some clues also. Good Luck, Scott

If you do end up doing head gaskets. At your boost level, I think you would be much happier with a set of Felpro 9441PT's. If you have aspirations of running 28 lbs. of boost or more, stick with the Cometics. The Felpro's are the best I've found for keeping the water where it belongs.

I have read lots of people reusing cometics. I have never run cometics on my buick but i do run one on my Turbo GSXR. If retorquing it doesnt fix it i would just repalce the gasket with a new one. there not expensive. i always keep a extra one for the bike around the house.