Clunk sound during Lock-up?

Clark6

I have this Clank or Clunk sound during Lock-up, any ideas on how to chase it down.
When i first crank the car let it warm up & drive down the road through the first gear cycles & lock-up it doesnt do it.
Once warmed up a bit & come to a stop & start the cycle over again, thats when it happens from here on out , it just started doing this after the maiden voyage from the track, and was wondering if i hurt anything, no forced lock up at the track or anything like that. everything was fine until i was almost home.

The sound doesnt make it in any of the gears, it just goes through 1st,2nd,3rd,od, then at 45-50mph Clank/lock-up at the same time. I hear this noise through the drive line somewhere, one moment i think its in the front converter area, then i think its the rear end area, and was wondering why only at lock up if its the rear end? lock up shouldnt put that much of a load on it should it?

with the car jacked up on stands checking the rotation of driveshaft u-joints, things feel tight, i go through the gears, no sound, so i guess it just does it under load, (not wot) just cruising speeds. its just a faint Clunk/lock-up at the same time type deal.

Ive looked at the driveshaft but havent swapped with another unit yet.(visually looks and feels ok)

Ive checked the short torque converter bolts, took them loose to check thrust bearing movement with a pry bar, no movement:) slide converter on to pump then back out again so no bind there either.

jw sfi flexplate is new so i didnt drop the tranny closely to check it out.

Ive heard of clunk sound during reverse, & other gear patterns before but did a search & never found one on (Lock-up) transition clunk/clank. it locks up fine so far its just that clank sound.......

So could it be the converter or the rear end? It only happens during lock-up transition ANY suggestion on what to try before i drop the converter & have it opened? its just been refreshed like 2 wks ago, but then again i went to the track :)rolleyes: )so its still under warranty, id just hate to pull it & ship it if thats not what it is. but if it is, it is.:confused:

As Always any helped appreciated, id have to look at it this evening & some tommorow after work. Thanx in advance.

My rearend made a clunk sound because I scimped on the posi fluid. I added more and it went away. Just a thought.