Clicking & clacking in gear and strange shifting

ez at nova

I hate rice
Less than two years ago, I had my tranny rebuilt by Performance Transmissions with a 3000 stall street/strip setup. Since then the car has made 2 or 3 passes at the track one time and maybe 2000 miles of cruising around.
Last summer when it was very hot once or twice, I noticed the car was shifting later than usual, pretty much equally in all gears but more noticable fron 1-2 since it is the most dramatic. It waited until 4000+ to shift, and this was under minimal throttle.
Today, the same thing started to happen, after the car got hot from riding around for a half hour or so, but now in addition to the shifting strangely, it all started with a very strange clicking/air leaking sound. I thought it was my dump pipe leaking or a header leak, but it went away when I would rev the engine in nuetral, and return when I shifted back to drive and even inched forward without pressing the gas. The noise either went away as I sped up or I just couldn't hear it. Eventually, this particular noise went away. Now, when I am stopped and in Drive (or Reverse) the transmission clicks and clacks randomly. It sounds like popcorn popping in the pan. Not pleasant. I can't "feel" it when it makes the noise though. Sometimes it will shift normally, and other times it is delayed as I mentioned above. Also, it seems to jerk the car a bit too violently when I shift to D from N. This is frustrating since this new tranny hardly has any miles or time on it... Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Pull the pan @ see if you have any debris in there, sounds like something is going away. TC maybe on it's way out.

Wouldn't that be REALLY odd for a practically brand new TC to be going out after basically no abuse whatsoever and only a couple thousand miles?

Yea, but if it was poorly made anything is possible.
Pull the pan see what's in there, & see if you have a lot of aluminum glitter.

Y'all will quickly realize the extent of mechanical experience I have here...but, I am obviously going to drain the pan first to avoid a huge mess if I drop it? It's a "custom" deeper and bigger pan with a rear pickup, so I don't know if the refill capacity is different than stock. Any particular fluid recommendations? I don't know what Performance Trans put in there for me.

Just an update to help others in the future... it ended up being the tv cable that was out of adjustment. Shifts back to normal now. :)

The shifts may have been due to the TV adjustment, but the noise thing concerns me and wouldn't be from the adjustment. From what you are discribing sounds like a common problem with a broken flywheel. Take off the inspection cover and check for cracks in the flex plate itself. I would do that A.S.A.P. You don't want a flywheel breaking and coming apart on you. Main place they crack is around the bolt circle near the crank. Let us know what you find. thanks, Mark