Chips-R-Us

bwallace

Just recently purchase a 87 GN and with it I received a box of chips. The chips are from CHIPS-R-US, Citrus Heights CA., they are labeled and have a number directory. The directory doesn't give much information on what changes the chip will make when installed. If anyone has any idea what these chips do, any I should keep away from, Technology to old and what one will help the performance of a completely stock, 118k '87 GN. Here's the directory.

1) ADS, "B" Chip #8614b
2)Applied Technologies;High Perf High Speed chip 100-30tx
3)Duttweiler Auto;Z-1 chips
4)Dyno Tech Performance;Dyno Tech. 3
5)Eastern Buick Performance;Dyno Chip
6)HyperTech;Stage 2 chip
7)Kenne Bell; KB9006
8)Mallory;Quick Chip. #43230
9)Quality Engineering; -2 Chip
10) Turbo City; Z-Tech Industries:confused: :confused:

Originally posted by bwallace
Just recently purchase a 87 GN and with it I received a box of chips. The chips are from CHIPS-R-US, Citrus Heights CA., they are labeled and have a number directory. The directory doesn't give much information on what changes the chip will make when installed. If anyone has any idea what these chips do, any I should keep away from, Technology to old and what one will help the performance of a completely stock, 118k '87 GN. Here's the directory.

1) ADS, "B" Chip #8614b
2)Applied Technologies;High Perf High Speed chip 100-30tx
3)Duttweiler Auto;Z-1 chips
4)Dyno Tech Performance;Dyno Tech. 3
5)Eastern Buick Performance;Dyno Chip
6)HyperTech;Stage 2 chip
7)Kenne Bell; KB9006
8)Mallory;Quick Chip. #43230
9)Quality Engineering; -2 Chip
10) Turbo City; Z-Tech Industries:confused: :confused:

You have 10 proms, and prom holders.
8+9 are unkknowns to me, but judging by the others, they're all dated. ZTech is to be avoided at all costs in my opinion.

Chip "5" is a pretty good race chip, but very old tech. I ran it before Thrashers You WILL need a little race gas or xylene mixed in because it will knock on 93. A friend of mine bought the same box of chips at BG in 1994 for $10, so they were nearly worthless back then.

Thanks Bruce, any ideas if any of these chips are worth using? If not any ideas on a chip I could buy that would give me so performance gains on the strip with a stock '87 GN.

Any suggestions on a good performance chip for a stock GN? I was thinking about the Thrasher stock injector chip. Still have a lot of work to do, but am going to take my first passes in the next two weeks and wanted to run so respectable times and need any edge I can get.

I've had good luck with chips from the following:

PTE (Joe Lubrant)
Ramchargers (Bob Bailey)
Jim Testa

I nver thought the Thrasher was anything special, or Red Armstrong chips but that is just my opinion. Plenty of guys have had good luck with those ones as well.

I ran mid 12's with "chip -5" and 17-18 psi of boost with the stock downpipe/exhaust. With a better exhaust I'm pretty sure it would have gone low 12's.

My only mods at the time were traction mods (ATR bar/pinion snubber/airbag) a K&N cone filter, AFPR set at 43 psi line off, a converter lockup switch and 275/50 drag radia. I ran 3-4 gallons of 114 added to 1/2 a tank of 93.

I wouldn't get too carried away ordering a custom chip for stock injectors. The chips you have will max them out (Chip -5 at 20 psi will max out stockers)

I will try chip 5 tonight I am already running about 17lbs of boost and I can get my hands on some c-116. Traction will definately be a problem I am still running stock 215/65/15, but that will be my next upgrade. We will see what happens. Thanks again for the info.