Check out what I got for my birthday

turbotroy

1101305152-front-large.jpg

It would look good in a frame, wouldn't? I ordered it on my birthday, Taylor had to build it, and I got it a few days ago. That was one of the pics they sent of the guitar. One of them has a close up with the serial number;)

Congrats Leland. And Happy Belated Birthday. I can't fathom playing any guitar, let alone one with 12 strings.

For my birthday, I want the skill to play that thing! :D

Oh and Happy Birthday!

Holy Cats!! AWESOME!!! Just beautiful! How does it sound? Is the action high, medium or low? Taylors are great sounding guitars, real nice choice there.

What influenced your decision to get the Taylor over a Gibson, Martin, PRS, Fender, etc. twelve string? Quality, cost, looks, sound?

For those of you who don't know, playing a twelve string is just as easy as playing a six string....the last four strings have a little string next to each, tuned in octave to that string....the first two strings, from the bottom each have an extra string tuned exactly to each other......not hard to play, but a very beautiful chiming sound, very pretty......only problem I have on my twelve string is counting the damn tuning keys to tune one of the strings that go flat or sharp.....I lose count sometimes.....

Leo Kottke plays a twelve string, and he's really good at it.

The guitar is beautiful, bud......real pretty.....again, how does this particular one sound to you? Did you try one in a store first or just hear it from someone else.

Love guitars all my life.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Congrats Leland. And Happy Belated Birthday. I can't fathom playing any guitar, let alone one with 12 strings.

You could if you REALLY wanted to.....it's the pure love of the instrument and it's sound that should get you motivated......you can if you try.

I've been playing for a very long time....every time I play the guitar, people clap their hands........
over their ears...:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

That is a thing of beauty!

I’ve been a music lover since the early 80’s ever since I heard my first metal song. Back in Black.

Then came Maiden and all the NWOBHM that came along. Then Thrash and Blues. Oddly enough, in that order.

What are your genres of choice?

D

Hey All, thanks for the responses!
Bruce, I've been playing since I was 9, not that I'm that good at it ;) My "talent" is vocals, so I've always tried to play well enough to support that. For the pure joy of playing, I prefer to hang with the drummer and play bass, if I don't need to sing. I can't move my fingers and sing at the same time.
In 2003, Mars Music gave me a credit card, so I bought a Fender Bass, no name drum set with Zilgan (sp) symbols, a no name pa, and a "cheap" Fender accoustic 12 string because it sounded so pretty! I fell in love with that thing:D. It took a while to figure out what songs would work all the way through on it, as I am a rocker from early Beatles till today.
My brother in Seattle got a hold of that guitar,and picked it up like he has been playing it all his life.:mad: I went down to play a gig in Portland, and by the time I got back, he'd bought a 12 string Takamine. Now the Fender was great for the jangly '60's Beatles and Birds, but that Takamine just had the voice that went with what Seattle was doing at the time. I went out and bought the identical Taki the next week.
I've LOVED that guitar for the last 10 years, it was my "go to" axe for almost everything. I almost forgot how to play electric! I was in Vegas for 6 years and loved it because I could go out and play every night. I'd play rock in country bars but that 12 string was so deep but chimey I'd get away with it!:cool:
Fast forward to 2013. I'm a pipefitter and building a powerhouse in Mississippi. Some dumbass dropped a 10 ton beam clamp above me, I had a foreman holding my ladder (that didn't need to be there), and off of reflex I snagged that 60 lb. chunk of metal out of the sky. I was told by that foreman that I was a hero for not letting that thing kill her:love:
I ripped the Ulnar nerve in my left arm while catching that thing. The Ulnar controls the 1/2 the ring and pinky finger and palm, and I didn't realize how messed up I was until I grabbed my guitar and really couldn't play much of anything except open chords. Talk about depressing, I have 23 guitars and 18 of them I can't play!
Which brings us to the Taylor.
I'd played some of the T-5's when I was in Vegas, but didn't buy them because they were black, as most of my guitars are. Black guitars don't play outside so well in the sunshine. I had wanted a koa wood Taylor since I first saw one, it's still the picture on my 4 year old facebook page which I don't play with. Anyway, a guy at work offered me his new coral blue T-5 for 2K, a $700 savings. A screaming deal, but it didn't have enough strings;)
But after I thought about it enough, and if I would think of buying a guitar with only 6 strings for 2K, let's go ahead and get the one I really want for 3K:D
I love this guitar! The action is nice and low, I can play all the bar chords while doing all my fills and with the right processing, I can make it sound real close to the Takamine. I'm still playing the Taki live, but know I have something to fill in the gaps that I've been missing. I write songs too, and ALL my songs have a Bm (thanks Pink Floyd) chord in them, and to not be able to play one was a drag! Not anymore!
Evil, my genre is anything that rocks! Most of it sounds like Troy Rock. Rock and Blues on Bass.
Sorry if this was long winded, but what a long strange trip it's been! And I have other passions then Turbo Buicks and Redheads! Thanks for letting me share!
Cheers!

Last edited: